Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience of the Volvo v70/S80?  (Read 5209 times)

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have any experience of the Volvo v70/S80?
« Reply #15 on: 15 February 2017, 14:14:05 »

Since you are looking at such a new car, an auto won't be a problem. Just change the fluid regularly.

Otherwise the V70 II is a nice car and is reliable if taken care of
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 February 2017, 14:45:03 »

But at least the hazard lights aren't cambus  :-X  Too soon?  :P :)

;D Nope, like the Murphys, I'm not bitter. Just a little stout ;)

But they're a much better long term bet than diesels. T5s are a much better bet than D5s...just ask any traffic copper ;)

I'm in two minds about this, taking a manual T5 and an auto D4, based on the real world mpg of 28 and 50 respectively, the D4 saves £9,000 in fuel and VED at current rates over 9yrs and 135k (my annual mileage profile). That includes a £5k discount on buying petrol over diesel. Even assuming the Gearbox went bang (£2k for a recon) and I bought a set of injectors at £1200 at 50k and 100k miles, I'd still have over £5k "in my pocket".

In reality I think the above assumptions favour the petrol somewhat. Gearbox oil changes would be done regularly (both on manual and auto) and injector failure on a D4 doesn't seem to crop up that often (per google). And of course, the above assumes impeccable reliability of the T5 and doesn't include a clutch & DMF either. Probably the saving would be closer to £7-8k. Oh and it'll go 750 miles between fill-ups and not 400.  :y

Performance is a consideration, but having owned the Bimmer, I've come to realise that it wouldn't matter if I bought a Bugatti Veyron, there's no opportunity for me to deploy the performance to get where I'm going any quicker. A D4 would be more than capable of swift overtakes in any gap on the road where its safe to do so.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 February 2017, 14:56:51 »

My dad has a V70 D5 auto and gets not remotely close to 50 MPG. high 30's to low 40 is apparently more like it.

Edit: You're talking about the D4 ::)

Even still, I think 50 MPG would be a dream for such a hearse large car.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15 February 2017, 15:18:04 »

As you've discovered with the BM though, it's not anything to do with lack of maintenance/predictable expenses that's caused you to have to give it back.  :( 
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15 February 2017, 16:02:03 »

Got an '06 XC70 AWD D5 Auto 96k miles last year as an Omega replacement. This is the 185hp version not the 165

Around 43 mph if the computer thingy is correct, at moderate driving style.

Plenty of oooomph but a bit kind of dull, but actually I don't mind dull. Eats motorways.

No big issues, but I find accelerator pedal and brake pedal a bit close to each other. I have pressed the wrong one  :o but you get used to this, plus I have big feet !

The HU 850 radio/cd sounds good, but at some stage they get the old problems of CDs getting stuck inside. Currently looking into possible aftermarket replacements.

Driving in France, sat nav took me across an open field growing turnips, so some "off road" capability.

Personally, no regrets so far.

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15 February 2017, 18:14:27 »

I am only sat here now thanks to how well built the 2015 plate V70 D5 Estate is.

We had a 12 plate S80 D5 at work up on 160,000 miles or so, which went bang not too long ago. This was saved, thanks to a donor engine from another written off one (not mine!) being transplanted immediately in it's place  :)

Very comfy cars. Manuals more robust. Very average fuel economy, awful if ragged (As ours are). Pretty reliable as far as modern diesels go. Eats front tyres. Lots of torque steer and loss of grip if not driven properly. Excellent cars, but not overly inspiring or exciting. Does what it's supposed to do, but nothing to get too excited about. The electric handbrake is enough to make you want to pull your hair out.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 15 February 2017, 18:36:16 »

From what I've gathered so far[since owning my Mk1]The electrics and interiors of MkII onwards cars are more complicated and fragile than the Mk1's.They're not the greatest lookers but then they're not ugly either.Mine is very comfy[I'd say on a par with my Omega Elite]Capable of mega miles if looked after[which really applies to most if not all cars]Parts prices not too horrendous.If the diesel is the same unit as fitted to the Focus then it's a Citroen/Peugeot unit.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 15 February 2017, 19:06:43 »

Even still, I think 50 MPG would be a dream for such a hearse large car.

That's true actually, I was looking at the S60 D4 rather than the coffin-shifter, which apparently does 45. I base all my mpg sums on the Honest John "Real MPG" numbers which are submitted by drivers. Not fool-proof by any stretch but it does give a level playing field for comparison. Unless one group of drivers is inherently more dishonest than another  ;D.

As you've discovered with the BM though, it's not anything to do with lack of maintenance/predictable expenses that's caused you to have to give it back.  :( 

Too true. TBH its given me a bit of a different perspective on reliability, I mean hell, even my parents' P38 range rover goes more than 500 miles without breaking down (sometimes!)  ::). The way I see it, its just a roll of the dice, all you can do is weight the odds with good maintenance  :y

Thanks for your experiences Mr Rog, I have to say, 43mpg is damn impressive for an AWD leviathan with the aerodynamic flare of a rectangular building thing :y

I am only sat here now thanks to how well built the 2015 plate V70 D5 Estate is.

This is probably the one massive driver to get me out of an omega. With little ones firmly on the horizon, I am far less happy to knock about in a rather airbag deficient teenage motor. Frankly, if I could stump up for an armoured car, I probably would ;).

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15 February 2017, 19:18:38 »

The Omega is built strong, so don't let the airbag count put you off ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 15 February 2017, 19:27:12 »

The 5-cylinder diesels D5, D4, D3 and 2.4D are of Volvos own design, plus some of the last ones that had the new 4-cylinder Volvo Drive unit.

2.0D,1.6D and D2 are Ford "carryover engines". The 1.6 litre DV6C/DV6D (Ford DLD-416) after 2011/2012 is a very good unit if a tad small in a V70.
The 2.0 litre DW10 i very reliable also.

Another note:
The later petrols T4, T5 use a Ford Ecoboost 4-cylinder, also the 2.0 NA petrol is from the mk4 Mondeo.
124k on the C5

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 February 2017, 19:46:07 »

The Omega is built strong, so don't let the airbag count put you off ;)

While that is true in general terms, I know which car I'd bet the family on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6H0UctkKSc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUI2iNnNp_E
:o

The prospect of the expanding family is really what drove the original move to BMW (which worked out....well), I would never run an Omega if someone else was doing all the work on it. I'd find it hard to trust someone else to do a proper job on an "old and crappy car" and so I'd be left to do it myself, which I like, but its different when hours under the car are hours you don't get to spend with the kids.

That said, perhaps once the little bleeder's here I might want to  be elsewhere :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 February 2017, 20:00:20 »

Dramatic footage to be sure, but what of the numbers...?

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 February 2017, 20:22:03 »

If you don't want a Insignia/Mondeo/508/C5 and think the german trio is overpriced (which they are) I think a V70 is a good choice  :y
124k on the C5

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 15 February 2017, 20:32:38 »

Ok...

The Omega is a 4 star car with caution notes to the drivers feet/ankles. Also worth noting that the facelift Omega was never tested.

The 2009- V70 is a five star car, but driver upper body protection isn't as good as the Omega. Also, it has far more modern safety features and details such as isofix and optional items such as BLIS which add percentage points in the test, making an older design like the Omega seem worse than it physically is ;)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 February 2017, 21:56:26 »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.