Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.5 weeks into TBE's LPG  (Read 3955 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5 weeks into TBE's LPG
« Reply #15 on: 04 May 2011, 13:52:23 »

Might be another one to do soon :-X :-X ::) ::)
One?  By my calculations, 2, possibly 3  :-X

Gayboy Gixer's doing his own isn't he? So I calculate 1, perhaps 2 ;) Although I suppose he might want a hand ;D

Just make sure we don't let you loose on the wiring... It takes too long :-X :P ;D

Just give him a tin of silver hammerite and he's happy  ::)  ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 May 2011, 13:57:46 »

*I wasn't going to bother, but with my ECU location, the only way to get the LPG loom to reach without extending was to go under the TB's, which I wasn't hugely happy with - esp was it will need a cambelt later this year or early next. So as I would have to extend loom anyway to allow entry from the rear of the inlet manifold, I stuck to Plan A

Mind you, there's still enough slack in the loom (without extending it) to move it out of the way when you do the cam belt... I know, because that's how mine is done and I've already done a belt change on it ;) ;)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 May 2011, 14:41:09 »

For the benefit of others not present, I thought, when we LPG'd TBE, it would be a really good idea to basically put the large GM injector rail to loom plugs on the LPG wiring to make it neater.

It has worked, and it is neater, but would I do that again?

No - its not worth the extra effort*.  Its tight and messing under the plenum using the loom as provided by Teilo, but its hidden, and its simple.

*I wasn't going to bother, but with my ECU location, the only way to get the LPG loom to reach without extending was to go under the TB's, which I wasn't hugely happy with - esp was it will need a cambelt later this year or early next. So as I would have to extend loom anyway to allow entry from the rear of the inlet manifold, I stuck to Plan A

So the LPG loom doesn't reach round the rear of the plenum to the multiway plug?

Hmm. Revisit mounting it in the pollen filter box next time? (especially as the newer ECUs are a bit smaller).

I have a plan for tidying mine up when the cambelt is due (in 5k). It involves a multi-way plug on the front of the injector loom under the plenum so the LPG loom can just be unplugged and moved aside.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2011, 14:53:31 »

I have a plan for tidying mine up when the cambelt is due (in 5k). It involves a multi-way plug on the front of the injector loom under the plenum so the LPG loom can just be unplugged and moved aside.
Kevin
May as well do as I have, if you're soldering wires anyway...
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2011, 15:12:53 »

For the benefit of others not present, I thought, when we LPG'd TBE, it would be a really good idea to basically put the large GM injector rail to loom plugs on the LPG wiring to make it neater.

It has worked, and it is neater, but would I do that again?

No - its not worth the extra effort*.  Its tight and messing under the plenum using the loom as provided by Teilo, but its hidden, and its simple.

So the LPG loom doesn't reach round the rear of the plenum to the multiway plug?

Hmm. Revisit mounting it in the pollen filter box next time? (especially as the newer ECUs are a bit smaller).

Kevin

300+ ECU is identical in size to the ones we have anyway ;) I don't like the idea of it being in the Pollen Filter area purely as it feels like a bodge ::) But there has to be a better place to mount it than where we're currently going :-/ :-/ I still can't see how James managed to get it into the ECU box... It simply doesn't look possible :-/

Must admit, the way it was done on TBE does look neat and tidy and there's no reason why it couldn't have been done well in advance (it's only the LPG Loom that needs work on after all), which would have made it a very quick installation :y I might be tempted to do it like that again, but only if it were done in advance ;)

But, at the end of the day, the 2 sets that go to the LPG injectors had to run up the trumpets IIRC

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2011, 15:27:53 »

Kevin

How did you do it, then? I read it that you reverted to cramming the piggy-back connectors in?
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2011, 15:44:24 »

Kevin

How did you do it, then? I read it that you reverted to cramming the piggy-back connectors in?
Nope... He took all day putting the VX Loom Plugs onto the LPG Loom (and extending it) :-X ::) ;D

I should add... It's neat and tidy and has real potential, but needs doing in advance, not during the installation for it to be a viable option IMO :y
« Last Edit: 04 May 2011, 15:45:28 by Lazydocker »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2011, 16:12:13 »

Soldering all those connections just seemed to take forever by the time the right wires were found in the garage, soldered, and heatshrunk.  What I envisaged would take an hour at most took several times that  :-[
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2011, 16:12:57 »

Though in my defence, I did have to tolerate the 2 batty boys constantly jibing me ;D
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2011, 16:18:05 »

Though in my defence, I did have to tolerate the 2 batty boys constantly jibing me ;D

Which you loved ;D ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2011, 16:21:12 »

Soldering all those connections just seemed to take forever by the time the right wires were found in the garage, soldered, and heatshrunk.  What I envisaged would take an hour at most took several times that  :-[

Like I say, if it's done in advance I think it's probably the way forwards ;) It's something which could easily be done while sat in front of the telly in preparation for the installation... I might even go down that route myself if I do another conversion :y

The real head scratcher was the common ground feed though... That did cause a little concern for a while until we realised what was going on ::) ;D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 May 2011, 16:36:50 »

The real head scratcher was the common ground feed though... That did cause a little concern for a while until we realised what was going on ::) ;D

There isn't a common ground in the injector piggy-back wiring, is there? They're low-side switched. :-/

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 May 2011, 16:48:36 »

There isn't a common ground in the injector piggy-back wiring, is there? They're low-side switched. :-/

Not sure about that... I thought they switched on a +ve signal :-/ Anyway, the head scratcher was that the piggy backs just had a short (8" or so) link between the 2 plugs, which is fine because it doesn't change... But when fitting the Vx Loom it got a bit confusing to start with ::) ::)

All worked out good in the end though :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 May 2011, 17:23:07 »

Not sure about that... I thought they switched on a +ve signal :-/ Anyway, the head scratcher was that the piggy backs just had a short (8" or so) link between the 2 plugs, which is fine because it doesn't change... But when fitting the Vx Loom it got a bit confusing to start with ::) ::)

All worked out good in the end though :y :y

Ahh, Ok. Yes, the black wires just loop through the piggy back and don't go anywhere else.

The petrol injectors have a common +12V feed from the main relay in the ECU box, and the ECU drags the other side of the injector down to 0V to open the injector. :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 May 2011, 17:24:52 »

Like I say, if it's done in advance I think it's probably the way forwards ;) It's something which could easily be done while sat in front of the telly in preparation for the installation... I might even go down that route myself if I do another conversion :y

But you need to mount ECU first, and start fitting the loom to get the length right. But I agree, once you have measured length, then do it on a proper desk (which would have made life easier/quicker.

That common really confused me, still does to an extent, as AC have made a heck of an assumption :o
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 19 queries.