Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Car prices  (Read 3531 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Car prices
« Reply #30 on: 21 December 2021, 16:55:21 »

Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 December 2021, 17:23:57 »

£130 a year...

http://moneyquestioner.co.uk/money/cost-living-cheaper-today-80-years-ago/

It said the national average across all sectors was £153 P/A..... so the house that Andy Beanz mentioned was roughly 3 times the average wage of the time.

I believe houses were 'relatively cheaper to buy' in the fifties and sixties. In the 1930's very few people owned their own home, the vast majority renting.

In the 1930's 'owning your own home' would have been seen as a luxury, as would owning a car.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 December 2021, 17:26:14 »

I've posted it before but I don't want to feel left out  ;D
When I was 11 in 1964 my dad sold our two up two down back to back with no bathroom and an outside lavvy for £250. He bought a three bed terrace with a bathroom and kitchen extension for £1950. 25 year mortgage was £16 a month.
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 December 2021, 17:38:28 »

When I was 11 in 1964 my dad sold our two up two down back to back with no bathroom and an outside lavvy for £250. He bought a three bed terrace with a bathroom and kitchen extension for £1950. 25 year mortgage was £16 a month.
                    How much a month was the mortgage nearing the end of the purchase?
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 December 2021, 18:20:01 »

No idea, Rae, I'd well buggered off before then.
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 December 2021, 18:21:29 »

if it had an outside toilet in the back yard, it wasn't a back to back. Back to back were literally back to back with each other .. they had a front door ..... the back of the house was the back of the house behind you.
Those terraces you see at the beginning of Coronation St are NOT back to back  ;)

It blows my daughter's mind that her Dad lived in a terrace like you described Steve .... outside toilet & no bathroom.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 December 2021, 18:27:42 »

I miss ice on the inside of the windows. ;D

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21 December 2021, 18:31:45 »

When I was a kid my parents had a top floor flat right opposite Crystal Palace park must have been 1961, think the rent was around £5 per week I thought it was great at the time I knew every inch of that park a brilliant time.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21 December 2021, 18:35:04 »

£130 a year...

It said the national average across all sectors was £153 P/A..... so the house that Andy Beanz mentioned was roughly 3 times the average wage of the time.

I believe houses were 'relatively cheaper to buy' in the fifties and sixties. In the 1930's very few people owned their own home, the vast majority renting.

In the 1930's 'owning your own home' would have been seen as a luxury, as would owning a car.
I went with £130 because Bury is basically Mancchester and £130 was the city average ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21 December 2021, 18:37:02 »

£130 a year...

I went with £130 because Bury is basically Mancchester and £130 was the city average ;)

I think Bury is a bit more posh.... :-X :-X

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 21 December 2021, 18:39:33 »

£130 a year...

I think Bury is a bit more posh.... :-X :-X

You'll do for me  :y :y

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 December 2021, 18:41:28 »

No idea, Rae, I'd well buggered off before then.

👍🙂
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 21 December 2021, 18:55:39 »

if it had an outside toilet in the back yard, it wasn't a back to back. Back to back were literally back to back with each other .. they had a front door ..... the back of the house was the back of the house behind you.
Those terraces you see at the beginning of Coronation St are NOT back to back  ;)

It blows my daughter's mind that her Dad lived in a terrace like you described Steve .... outside toilet & no bathroom.  ;D
Oh right. We weren't actually bottom of the pile then, we had a back yard. Posh or what?  ;D
Diesel till I die

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 21 December 2021, 19:00:13 »

Oh right. We weren't actually bottom of the pile then, we had a back yard. Posh or what?  ;D
;D ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 22 December 2021, 08:55:34 »

In 2021 an average house is anything from 6 to 10 times the average wage which is why the young people struggle to buy their first home.

In London (even the parts that are usually on fire) it is almost impossible for the 'average Joe' to buy.
Which is why my solution is the solution to all problems. Reduce the demand for housing, the prices drop.

TB for President of the UK!
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.