News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil  (Read 3911 times)

Phil

• View Profile
Oil
« on: 19 February 2007, 12:08:00 »

Right, i use 0W 40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic, its my choice i like it thats why i use it, im not changing so deal with it.  :)

I normally buy it from Costco for £21 incl VAT for 4 litres, currently they are out of stock.

I went to hellfarts to get 1 ltr to keep me going, but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and i'm not paying that.

They do have own brand and Castrol Fully synth 0W 40.

What i want to know is would there be a problem with using a different brand to top up?

I understand mixing types i.e. 10w and 0w is a no no , but what about brands??

Timbuk

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
  • owned a Datsun 120y once!
    • View Profile
Re: Oil
« Reply #1 on: 19 February 2007, 12:11:24 »

Is this an oil thread ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 February 2007, 12:15:01 »

but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and  ......

:o How much? I wouldn't be able to carry £45 worth of Vx's Trade Club semi-synthetic!  ;)

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 February 2007, 12:20:18 »

Is this an oil thread ::)

No, its a chemistry question about mixing brands

but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and  ......

:o How much? I wouldn't be able to carry £45 worth of Vx's Trade Club semi-synthetic!  ;)

Thats why i didnt buy it. I use fully synth so it doesnt realy matter how much semi you can carry.

Not bothered if i can get a different brand cheaper just want to know if itll cause any problems mixing it with Mobil 1

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2007, 12:24:33 »

Should be ok in reality......or just buy a litre from here:

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/performance_lubricants/mobil.aspx

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2007, 14:16:42 »

Right, an oil thread then….  :)

Firstly, I do the same, i.e. buy Mobil1 0W-40 from Costco.  :y

Secondly, all engine oils of the same grade can be mixed, it is en essential requirement that they do, even mineral with full-synth etc. However while no adverse chemical reaction will occur, using a ‘lesser’ oil obviously degrades the performance of the oil in the system.

Your options are to either fork-out for 1L of Mobil1 from Halfords or any Esso Petrol Station for around £13 (which is what I did when I last needed a top-up…), maybe cheaper from Opie Oils, or, if you really don’t want to pay that, get Halfords own-brand full-synth – Both my local Vx Parts Manager and Honest John claim that because Mobil makes both Esso Ultron and Mobil1 they are very similar oils, and apparently Halfords own-brand is Esso Ultron…

And last, where about are you? If you are local to me (London Kings Cross area) I have some left-over Mobil1 – Costco sell it in 4L containers and the V6 only takes 5.5L, don’t mind lending you a bit for top-up…

Alas, no more Omegas....

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2007, 14:55:28 »

Right, i use 0W 40 Mobil 1 fully synthetic, its my choice i like it thats why i use it, im not changing so deal with it.  :)

I normally buy it from Costco for £21 incl VAT for 4 litres, currently they are out of stock.

I went to hellfarts to get 1 ltr to keep me going, but theyve only got 4ltrs at £45 and i'm not paying that.

They do have own brand and Castrol Fully synth 0W 40.

What i want to know is would there be a problem with using a different brand to top up?

I understand mixing types i.e. 10w and 0w is a no no , but what about brands??

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up.
Try OPIE oils i use them all the time and i'm more than happy with their service.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February 2007, 15:06:39 »

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up....

(deep breath) ... (silence) .... (sigh) ... and what exactly is wrong with using 0W-40 oil then?
Alas, no more Omegas....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 19 February 2007, 15:30:58 »

will be fine using different brands...and i guess thats all you want to know  :y
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2007, 15:35:27 »

Right, an oil thread then….  :)

Firstly, I do the same, i.e. buy Mobil1 0W-40 from Costco.  :y

Secondly, all engine oils of the same grade can be mixed, it is en essential requirement that they do, even mineral with full-synth etc. However while no adverse chemical reaction will occur, using a ‘lesser’ oil obviously degrades the performance of the oil in the system.

Your options are to either fork-out for 1L of Mobil1 from Halfords or any Esso Petrol Station for around £13 (which is what I did when I last needed a top-up…), maybe cheaper from Opie Oils, or, if you really don’t want to pay that, get Halfords own-brand full-synth – Both my local Vx Parts Manager and Honest John claim that because Mobil makes both Esso Ultron and Mobil1 they are very similar oils, and apparently Halfords own-brand is Esso Ultron…

And last, where about are you? If you are local to me (London Kings Cross area) I have some left-over Mobil1 – Costco sell it in 4L containers and the V6 only takes 5.5L, don’t mind lending you a bit for top-up…

Thanks for the offer, i'm in south west Essex, near the Dartford bridge/ QE2 tunnel, so not a million miles away, but seeing as it seems ok to mix different manufactures oil, and it is only a 1/2 ltr or so top up i'll give the Hellfarts own brand ago and wait for Costco to get some more in  :)

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up.

As i said at the start this wasnt about what type of oil i was using, just if it could be mixed. The V6 is designed to use oil and therefore will need topping up no matter what grade you use.

« Last Edit: 19 February 2007, 15:38:17 by Phil »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 February 2007, 15:36:48 »

will be fine using different brands...and i guess thats all you want to know  :y

Basically yes

Cheers  :y

If someone wants to close this now its fine by me  :)

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 February 2007, 16:47:16 »

Thanks for the offer, i'm in south west Essex, near the Dartford bridge/ QE2 tunnel, so not a million miles away, but seeing as it seems ok to mix different manufactures oil, and it is only a 1/2 ltr or so top up i'll give the Hellfarts own brand ago and wait for Costco to get some more in  :)

It's a near miss then...  ;D

I am in Gillingham today, will be driving back into London on the M2/A2 passing M25 junction near the crossing at around 18:00-19:00 today... BUT I don't carry the oil with me.... ;D

Next time maybe.

Alas, no more Omegas....

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 February 2007, 17:30:50 »

It's a near miss then...  ;D

I am in Gillingham today, will be driving back into London on the M2/A2 passing M25 junction near the crossing at around 18:00-19:00 today... BUT I don't carry the oil with me.... ;D

Next time maybe.

A very near miss as i'm working in Northfleet, and just about to head for said M25/ A2 juction  :)

Thank again for the offer  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 February 2007, 18:59:10 »

The V6 is designed to use oil and therefore will need topping up no matter what grade you use.
Oh dear, my MV6 must be faulty then ::) ;)
Grumpy old man

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 February 2007, 23:59:38 »

If you would use the correct viscocity oil at first place you wouldn't have to top up....

(deep breath) ... (silence) .... (sigh) ... and what exactly is wrong with using 0W-40 oil then?
By about 60% i'm taking the piss as you can see. But at about 40% and having never owned a V6 that uses oil i think that the 0W40 is too thin at cold start for the engine.
other than that the mobil1 is pretty crap oil given the price. My mates TypeR used to burn about 0.8 liter every 1000miles with the 0W40 funny enough this stopped when he started using a different oil and exactly the same happened with my other friends Mr2 turbo(325bhp). What is the point using an expensive oil that is in my opinion worse than the VX fully synth?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.