Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto gearbox thrust washer -is this the end?!  (Read 1595 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Auto gearbox thrust washer -is this the end?!
« on: 06 October 2007, 16:26:18 »

Took the two pans off the auto box and unsurprisingly in the front pan was the pieces of thrust washer. As we need the car day by day I am putting it back together but feel totally gutted. This is the third oil change in 140k, the car has been used but not thrashed.

How long can I expect the car to continue functioning without the thrust washer?

I guess the solution would be to put an AR35 box in but the cost of getting one to Spain and the difficulties on my own of replacing it are a problem. If I lived in Britain I think I would sell it/break it for parts and buy another without this and other issues. The problem is that although cars are cheaper in the UK than Spain you have to pay a hefty import tax based on a book value (ours would be around £2100 pounds so tax of  £357!)

Perhaps I ought to bite the bullet and buy something like a Vitara and end my relationship with Vauxhall!!??  

Perhaps a gearbox party?

Perhaps someone on here is selling a decent similar pre facelift Omega that I could use mine for spare parts for!

Where is that beer.

olive  :o :( :-? ::)  
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Martin_1962

Re: Auto gearbox thrust washer -is this the end?!
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2007, 17:36:01 »

You need a bumble bee - see the Sassenach post about repairing them

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2007, 19:59:56 »

it will keep going for a while but eventually it will have to be done, we are moving out to spain in the near future and i will be toing a d froing at least every four months so if you can find a box here would be more than wiling to bring it out?
assuming i can fit it on the van with all the other stuff swmbo wants to take!!
we are moving to andalucia region if its not to far from you?
Omegatoy

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 October 2007, 20:06:14 »

....... we are moving out to spain in the near future and .....

Have you got any room in your van for a stow-away?  ;D  ;D   ;D  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2007, 12:06:40 »

Its easy enough to change thrust washer once box is off. Just lift off bellhousing, and there it is...
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2007, 14:15:49 »

I have read the excellent "How to change the washer" guide, That holds no fears apart from perhaps where to mail order get the thrust washer and shims kit.

I am more concerned at the practicalities of getting the box off or more importantly back on! on my own. The last time I changed a gearbox was on an auto Marina many years ago.      

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2007, 17:48:11 »

.................... an auto Marina many years ago.      ...

You must've been really bad in a previous life to have had to own one of those!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Crazydad

• Omega Baron
  • Germany
    • 2.5 V6 facelift
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2007, 19:01:38 »

Took the two pans off the auto box and unsurprisingly in the front pan was the pieces of thrust washer. As we need the car day by day I am putting it back together but feel totally gutted. This is the third oil change in 140k, the car has been used but not thrashed.

How long can I expect the car to continue functioning without the thrust washer?

I guess the solution would be to put an AR35 box in but the cost of getting one to Spain and the difficulties on my own of replacing it are a problem. If I lived in Britain I think I would sell it/break it for parts and buy another without this and other issues. The problem is that although cars are cheaper in the UK than Spain you have to pay a hefty import tax based on a book value (ours would be around £2100 pounds so tax of  £357!)

Perhaps I ought to bite the bullet and buy something like a Vitara and end my relationship with Vauxhall!!??  

Perhaps a gearbox party?

Perhaps someone on here is selling a decent similar pre facelift Omega that I could use mine for spare parts for!

Where is that beer.

olive  :o :( :-? ::)  

ok then let me inlighten you with something you may not know, or should i say you do not know or else you wouldnt have written this ::)

As we Live in a united Europe, we do not need to pay Tax on a car that is being Imported to the country as long as that vehicle has been on the Road in the country that it Originates from.

This is a fact, and has been like this for the last few years.

check out your local DVLC they will tell you.

I have done the same as i am living in Germany and the prices of cars in the UK are about 20 to 25% cheeper.

As soon as i have saved a few Pennies i am going over to the Uk to Buy myself a 3,2 top of the range with every rather button you ca imagine ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 October 2007, 11:28:30 »

Sorry my mistake used the wrong terminology.

there are a couple of hefty taxes specific to buyers and sellers of cars here in Spain. The first is a national tax equivalent to the inland revenue and the second is to the equivalent of the local County Council.

Whenever a car changes hand these taxes have to be paid. As a result there isn't the same culture as say in the UK where people think nothing of changing their car once a year or more often. The tax even applies if you put the V5 equivalent into your childs name.

"importing" a car from say the UK where residuals are a lot lower means that the car has to be registered( V5 equivalent), have a Spanish ITV (MOT) AND the tax has to be paid. This applies to every Brit taking a car to Spain and getting Spanish plates on it. You can dodge a part of the taxes if you bring the car in at the same time as you apply for residency AND you owned it for at least six months (you may be asked to provide proof of purchase despite having a V5 with your name on it) . If you live in Spain for more than 183 days or have residency here you have to do it. The V5 costs about 120 euros including the MOT.

Of course the EU are trying to harmonise all matters to do with cars and driving but there is a lot of inertia to overcome. How about the UK falls in line and has these taxes every time a car changes ownership!!??  

olive

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 October 2007, 12:28:24 »

How about the UK falls in line and has these taxes every time a car changes ownership!!??

Blimey! I though some of our taxes were draconian!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.