Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing ignition switch  (Read 4476 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Replacing ignition switch
« on: 10 December 2016, 12:47:40 »

As I have an intermittent non-starting fault on the TD, I intend to change the ign switch as a first option. Looking at Haynes, it seems it may be possible to swap this without removing the steering wheel or ign barrel. Has anyone done this who can comment?
Also aftermarket switches are only a few quid, any recommendations for quality AM parts?

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing ignition switch
« Reply #1 on: 10 December 2016, 13:21:55 »

What has led you to conclude it's the switch? :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 December 2016, 13:29:10 »

Only the issues described in my 'Help wanted' post James. Briefly, it failed to start away from home with no other indications, no clicking, no lights dimming. I could only check by hand that the wires were connected to the starter. Breakdown guy got a jump wire to the solenoid 'trigger' connection (his term), drove home where it now starts OK. However I have no wish for it to happen again, and if it does, I will need to offer breakdown insurance evidence that some repair has been carried out, otherwise I suspect they may be a bit miffed. :y

Oh and Nick's comment that they are a not uncommon failure on the older Vauxhalls. :y
« Last Edit: 10 December 2016, 13:33:28 by Shackeng »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 December 2016, 13:55:34 »

SWMBO's Golf behaved as described for a while. I swapped a relay that might have been the cause (it wasn't) before doing a continuity/waggle test and finding that a wire in the loom from body to gearbox had fractured.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 December 2016, 15:06:37 »

SWMBO's Golf behaved as described for a while. I swapped a relay that might have been the cause (it wasn't) before doing a continuity/waggle test and finding that a wire in the loom from body to gearbox had fractured.

Tthis may well be the case with a '99 vehicle, and I have tried wiggling a few wires and re-checking, but nothing appears so far. :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 December 2016, 16:11:06 »

Nick W has also written several times that some proper, rather than internet, diagnosis is required before you start buying and swapping parts.

My comments were meant to aid you in doing that diagnosis in an efficient manner.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 December 2016, 16:50:15 »

Nick W has also written several times that some proper, rather than internet, diagnosis is required before you start buying and swapping parts.

My comments were meant to aid you in doing that diagnosis in an efficient manner.

And appreciated. Having done some brief investigation this afternoon, and perusal of the cct diagram, it seems clear that the - intermittent - fault (which still has not recurred) lies somewhere in the switching cct to the solenoid, which still works fine. So unless I can reproduce the fault once I have the steering plastic off and can get a tester on to the wiring, the switch is the next thing to replace. :y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 December 2016, 22:27:49 »

Can anyone amplify the instruction in the guide "Insert a small screwdriver into the connector release hole, keeping the screwdriver at the key end of the hole,  and press to release the latch, at the same time as pulling / levering the connector off the switch. It is a tight fit but if it doesnt move you havnt deprssed the latch enough or have pressed on the wrong part of the latch."
The small white piece of plastic in the hole, if it is the connector latch, does not want to move in any direction, so before I force it in the wrong direction, do I press in, right, left, or down?  :-\

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 December 2016, 14:54:48 »

I guess nobody has done this recently. :-\ :-\ :-\

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 December 2016, 15:24:01 »

I did with my Mk2 Astra and with my Mk 1 Carlton but that was over 20 years ago :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 December 2016, 15:26:49 »

I did with my Mk2 Astra and with my Mk 1 Carlton but that was over 20 years ago :-\

:D ;D ;D ;D

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 December 2016, 16:46:35 »

I did it on an Omega 2.0 petrol I was stripping for spares. I do not know if I have any of the spares in my spares heap, i will check tomorrow. Looking in Haynes, I made a meaningful cross against the bold type below pcture 23.12 chapter 10.16. I recall it was tricky, and it came apart in the end. Above picture 23.13a I have written 'undo grub screw! and pull off'. It must be 8 years ago, will look for pics, but have found none yet.
My notes suggest the small white rectangle visible to the left of the switch is the tab you depress, as does Haynes picture.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 13 December 2016, 17:24:57 »

I did one several years ago, but don't remember how.
And telling you how to change the ignition switch on a Piper Cherokee, which I did today, won't help you very much

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 December 2016, 17:33:42 »

I did one several years ago, but don't remember how.
And telling you how to change the ignition switch on a Piper Cherokee, which I did today, won't help you very much

Nope, and even though I've changed them on a Beverley, Anson and Shackleton, doesn't help me much either!

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 December 2016, 17:36:46 »

I did it on an Omega 2.0 petrol I was stripping for spares. I do not know if I have any of the spares in my spares heap, i will check tomorrow. Looking in Haynes, I made a meaningful cross against the bold type below pcture 23.12 chapter 10.16. I recall it was tricky, and it came apart in the end. Above picture 23.13a I have written 'undo grub screw! and pull off'. It must be 8 years ago, will look for pics, but have found none yet.
My notes suggest the small white rectangle visible to the left of the switch is the tab you depress, as does Haynes picture.

I agree with all that Terry, but as you know plastic retainining clips, especially old ones, can be very brittle. This may not matter if the latch is part of the switch to be replaced, but I'll wait until the new one arrives which will help. :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.