Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater Matrix  (Read 4394 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Heater Matrix
« on: 18 December 2016, 14:13:06 »

After having thought I had sorted this problem a while back, the heater is now blowing very cool air from the passenger vents, and cold from the drivers side again. I have felt the two pipes on the engine side bulkhead to the matrix, the top one is boiling hot, the lower one just warm. I am guessing this is a blocked matrix, rather than air lock. So, I am going to flush the matrix, but is there some chemical that will 'dilute' any sludge in it, that could be poured down a pipe via a funnel, left to soak, then hosed out.
TIA

Tony
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Heater Matrix
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2016, 14:18:17 »

Ive used fernox to clean main engine rad before, I reckon it would be a good cleaning agent for the heater matrix too.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2016, 14:25:36 »

I tried to use STP-product. It did not help at all. Now just working with new matrix. That might finally help. I used several years chemicals to prevent coolant leak from head gasket so that might be my case. I lost first hot air to back seat. It was just cold, others warm.

powerslinky

« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2016, 14:29:08 »

After having thought I had sorted this problem a while back, the heater is now blowing very cool air from the passenger vents, and cold from the drivers side again. I have felt the two pipes on the engine side bulkhead to the matrix, the top one is boiling hot, the lower one just warm. I am guessing this is a blocked matrix, rather than air lock. So, I am going to flush the matrix, but is there some chemical that will 'dilute' any sludge in it, that could be poured down a pipe via a funnel, left to soak, then hosed out.
TIA

Tony

Be careful what you use here Terbs . . I think the matrix is aluminium  ::) ::)

Did you flush it both ways last time ?  :-\

Flushed mine recently as heat was poor . . .  did not seem blocked & not much residue appeared in the bucket.

Afterwards it seemed it made no difference , car was just running on drive way up to temp & heat on HI was poor as it was

before the flush .

Left it for an hour , slight top up of coolant &then went for 7 mile trip & lt was toasty hot & has been since.  :y
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 14:40:27 by Essex Big Al »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2016, 14:35:07 »

Yes Al....flushed it every which way but loose !!!! :y
I assume the water flows from the HBV to the matrix (top hose) then out the bottom one. Can't really say the water was as coloured as shown in the 'how to's', but I did it loads of times, and it did seem to work ok.
Would I be right in thinking that beacause the water is hot on the top hose to matrix, that this discounts thermostat not working :y

powerslinky

« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2016, 14:48:22 »

I assume the water flows from the HBV to the matrix (top hose) then out the bottom one. Can't really say the water was as coloured as shown in the 'how to's', but I did it loads of times, and it did seem to work ok.
Would I be right in thinking that beacause the water is hot on the top hose to matrix, that this discounts thermostat not working :y

What is temp guage showing once up to running temp?

Test for thermostat is as I understand . .  start engine from COLD , let engine run while you feel top hose & this main top hose should stay cold until thermostat opens & then that top hose gets hot warm rapidly as thermostat opens .
Top hose here means main radiator hose NOT the matrix hoses

Can take a good few minutes before top hose will suddenly get hot . If the top hose just warms slowly thermostat is at fault
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 14:51:07 by Essex Big Al »

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2016, 14:53:14 »

Temp gauge runs constant between 87/91 with cooling fans cutting in at 91 and out at 87. That top hose does get hot. :y
I am just rigging up some pipe fittings with hoseloks to make the job easier :y
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 14:54:55 by terbert »

powerslinky

« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2016, 15:01:57 »

Temp gauge runs constant between 87/91 with cooling fans cutting in at 91 and out at 87. That top hose does get hot. :y

Just re read my last post . . . edited it a bit . . .

just to make sure we are talking about the same hose for the thermostat test  ;)

Another point with the matrix  . .  Nick W  explained to me that the coolant enters & exits on the same side of the matrix, so if there is a blockage , it will still flow , but not through the matrix as it should & therefore not work as a "heat exchanger"

My 2.6 was the same as yours is now  . . .top heater hose hot , bottom just warm . A flush out did fix it , but not instantly, guess it was some kind of air lock  :-\ :-\

Have you tried a "climate control "  re set  . . . think it is press OFF & AUTO together for 5 secs , or see maintenance guide ;)
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 15:10:49 by Essex Big Al »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2016, 15:19:21 »

just to make sure we are talking about the same hose for the thermostat test  ;)

Another point with the matrix  . .  Nick W  explained to me that the coolant enters & exits on the same side of the matrix, so if there is a blockage , it will still flow , but not through the matrix as it should & therefore not work as a "heat exchanger"

My 2.6 was the same as yours is now  . . .top heater hose hot , bottom just warm . A flush out did fix it , but not instantly, guess it was some kind of air lock  :-\ :-\

Have you tried a "climate control "  re set  . . . think it is press OFF & AUTO together for 5 secs , or see maintenance guide ;)

Just went outside and tried this on mine and it worked a treat. Fans do what I want them to now. Muchos gracias Al.  :y :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

powerslinky

« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2016, 15:24:15 »

Just went outside and tried this on mine and it worked a treat. Fans do what I want them to now. Muchos gracias Al. :y :)

Your welcome Senor  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 15:26:23 by Essex Big Al »

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 December 2016, 15:32:11 »

Should have said "muchos gracias Hanko Marvinas.  :y ;D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 December 2016, 15:36:57 »

Should have said "muchos gracias Hanko Marvinas.  :y ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

All as you say, Al. Giving up for today as its getting dark.......and after cutting some hosepipe, and fitting connections, I realise I have fitted the wrong connectors. Will attack it in the morning ....I'll be in a better mood. However, I am going to try a reset now :y

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 December 2016, 16:35:10 »

I did have some like that, but sent them to forum member last year.
They were a bit of a pain to make, so I replaced them with these which are much easier to make, and can be  used with short lengths of garden hose with hoselock fittings:

The two on the left are identical, and the large diameters fit into the HBV ends of the heater hoses, which means you don't have to faff about with the complicated fittings on the matrix. The small diameters are jubilee clipped into your water hose. The black bung fits into the engine end of the third HBV hose: if you don't do this, you don't flush the matrix.

These were sent to another member, but I can make more if you can to wait a few days to do the job..
« Last Edit: 18 December 2016, 16:37:50 by Nick W »

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2016, 17:36:12 »

Having the matrix in my hand I see an arrow pointing in on the upper hole so upper is in and lower out as you certainly already know.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 December 2016, 17:58:27 »

Thats very kind of you Nick, and it looks the mutts nuts. However, I will decline your offer, as time limits me after tomorrow and I won't be around until the end of January. As you know, I have a choice of three Omega's to go away in, so if the problem car is not working, I'll take one of the others. Again thanks for the kind offer :y
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 18 queries.