Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Serious Judder on Braking at 60+  (Read 1861 times)

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
Serious Judder on Braking at 60+
« on: 16 November 2008, 21:41:56 »

Hi all, I have just replaced my wishbones today (Ugh)! to eliminate the juddering I was getting on braking at anything upwards of 60mph. On test drive, to my utter hoprror... the judder is still there. I have detected a small amount of play in the steering (Turn the wheel back and forth) which seems to tell summit ain't right here although it passed the MoT 2 months ago with no probs. Is there a steering box 'take-up' screw like I had in my old Merc 190 or is it something else. Brake discs are'nt warped so it ain't that!. The judder is quite severe and throws the steering wheel left to right. Not fun when you have passengers - (My 15 year old daughter -'sh*t Dad what the hell is that?....) Any help would  be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ian

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • BMW E92, 2.6 CD F/L Est.
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Judder on Braking at 60+
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2008, 21:47:55 »

sounds a bit like one of your wheels is buckled  :-?
mine suffered a bit back till i swapped the front to the back on passenger side! mine was around 50+ though

if you find it's brake disc related and yours is 2.0 then i have a brand new set of 286 front discs just run in basically as i'm now scrapping the car :(
V8!!!!

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2008, 21:49:07 »

Hi all, I have just replaced my wishbones today (Ugh)! to eliminate the juddering I was getting on braking at anything upwards of 60mph. On test drive, to my utter hoprror... the judder is still there. I have detected a small amount of play in the steering (Turn the wheel back and forth) which seems to tell summit ain't right here although it passed the MoT 2 months ago with no probs. Is there a steering box 'take-up' screw like I had in my old Merc 190 or is it something else. Brake discs are'nt warped so it ain't that!. The judder is quite severe and throws the steering wheel left to right. Not fun when you have passengers - (My 15 year old daughter -'sh*t Dad what the hell is that?....) Any help would  be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Ian

if I were you, I would double check the front brake discs..

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2008, 21:51:00 »

the disc surface may not show with naked eye but when you connect to the machine it will show the play..

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2008, 21:52:47 »

which engine is yours sniffyman lol?
V8!!!!

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2008, 21:55:20 »

On previous experience with brake disc warping, I get a back pressure through the brake peddle which decrease in frequency with lowering speed. There is no ervidence of this. I get no speed wobble up to 110 mph. The braking is straight and true when I do an emergency stop below 50. I really though the wishbones would be the prob as it had all the charecteristics of this. I had the 4 wheels balanced in October so I think the fitter (Who I know) would have told me if one was buckled. I'm stumped! I'm running an MV6 (2000 W) 3.0 Auto.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2008, 21:56:21 by SmiffyMan »

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2008, 21:58:46 »

if without brakes you have no problem at any speed the solution is brake discs..

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2008, 22:03:10 »

Get the wheels balanced again... Very common cause of wobble with no other evidence of problems. It's no unheard of for weights to move or fall off, especially if fitted by a "Can't fit fitter" ::) ::) :o :o
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

scoopery

• Elgin, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 November 2008, 22:03:51 »

I'm with cem. Stay with the brakes. The steering is just telling you something is wrong.
Check your caliper is free to move and that the free pad is not binding on corrosion on the caliper, causing braking force on only one side of the disc.
One problem I had once on old 5 series was caused by taking too long to change out a bad disc, which didnt cure the problem, because the hub and bearings had become damaged, although the bearing still felt good when you spun the wheel. Just when the load went back on the bearing it caused the vibration on braking.  

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 November 2008, 22:04:21 »

Check the steering idler and track rod ends. There is an adjuster on top of the steering box, it has an allen key screw with a locking nut.
« Last Edit: 16 November 2008, 22:05:49 by Elite_Pete »
Retired

Pete Elite

• Omega Knight
  • Uxbridge, Middlesex
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 November 2008, 22:11:27 »

Hi Ian,
         It does sound like a rotor problem but if your pretty confident it's not then have you tried the suspension top mounts for ware/movement or possibly a broken spring?

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 November 2008, 22:13:10 »

Cheers guys... Thats my Saturday sorted then...  This will make you laugh.. did my wishbones today.. first was ok, secend was a pig. But as I'd taken a coffe and bacon sandwhich break, I went back an put the wrong bolts in the inner mounting sections. They are slightly different in length. It took ages to get that bloody thing all sorted and then I had to dismantle it all and start again. Better ways to spend aSunday afternoon what!

markey mark

• Omega Baron
  • SLady bitshorpe north lincs
  • banned for repeatedly reneaging on deals.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 November 2008, 22:14:24 »

i would put money on warped discs !!  :y

ngrainqey

• Omega Baron
  • rotherham
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 November 2008, 22:15:17 »

im glad in a way i dont have to worry about warped discs (can take them to work and skim them hehe!
V8!!!!

SmiffyMan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 November 2008, 22:22:08 »

Surely guys with warped discs.. when you brake you get the pedal pushing back at you at the frequency of the revolution (That sounds posh don't it!) I'm not getting any push-back though the peddle - you know.. it gets less frequent as you slow down. I had it on a Cavalier once and replacing the discs did solve the prob. But it was very evident through the peddle feed-back that it was the discs. These wheels are 17" with 235 tyres by the way.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.