Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP!!!!  (Read 2649 times)

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
HELP!!!!
« on: 22 July 2009, 04:48:49 »

Right last night while in work while just having a quick check of the engine i notice dwhat looked like a oil leak at the bottom of the engine , looks like its the oil sump? ( sump directly behind the plastic drip tray?) so had a closer look and its got a large rust spot / bubble about the size of a £2 coin right at the front and the oil is starting to seep out from the edges of this  :'(
So looks like i need a new sump?
How costly are they?
How easy are they to fit?
or....is there a quick fix i could do, maybe some sort of sealant over this rust patch? as im working alot of over time at the moment and might not have time to get it into a garage :'(

I'll leave you guys to ponder this one while i head off to bed and will check the results later  :y

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!!!
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2009, 09:11:24 »

Get a replacement one from a scrapy.
they should not be that hard to change depending whats under the sump. but normaly its unbolt the old one clean and then replace the gasket and bolt on the new one
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2009, 12:54:20 »

so hard to find omega parts in scrap yards around here thats the problem, anyone got any ideas what a new one from the dealers would cost?
So there no quick fixes for this problem? no products i could buy to just patch over the hole?

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2009, 13:10:45 »

Just rung Vauxhall and its £135 for a new sump  :o :'( and none of the local scrappies got any, so i guess its the dealers for me. Surely its not normal for sumps to develope rust spots that then split it?

Ghost

• Omega Baron
  • Seaham, North East england
    • 2.6 V6 CDX Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2009, 13:11:27 »

I dont think that theres an easy fix for it mate. sounds like a bad spot.
Try and pm one of the breakers on here youll find them on the parts for sale. they could help you out with a replacement.
He who brakes Looses
To old to die young

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2009, 13:52:01 »

Just taken it to a local garage and they've said that yeah its a bad spot on the sump and its starting to rust through  :'( as they are just a small garage though they are worried the engine might need to be lifted out or up to replace the sump , does anyone know if it does? and they arent sure if it has a gasket or it uses sealant?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2009, 13:56:21 »

I used some of this ..... http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?marketid=1&familyid=116 on my Senator's petrol tank! It worked brilliantly! Might be worth a try as a temp fix.

I always find it amazing that something holding oil can rust through!  :-?  :y  :y  :y

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2009, 13:59:15 »

cheers  :y will give something like that a try as just typical with my luck with cars, when im doing normal hours in work its fine not a problem the second i get overtime! the dam thing breaks! lol im working the next 19!!! nights so dont really have the time to get it into a garage  ::)

KillerWatt

« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2009, 14:01:44 »

I'd settle for welding a small patch over the hole myself (seam welded obviously).

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2009, 14:04:41 »

i was thinking a similar thing maybe just weld a patch on it but now in the day light when the guy at the garage had a look its got 4 other rust spots on it , so id just end up constantly having it fixed  ::)  i agree with a previous poster, how can something that holds just oil rust right through!  ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2009, 14:19:19 »

I'd settle for welding a small patch over the hole myself (seam welded obviously).

By the time you removed it to weld you would have fitted another/new sump ..... unless you're going to weld it with oil in there!  :-?  :-?

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2009, 14:23:02 »

Has anyone here replaced or removed the sump before though? the garage said theres a cross member in the way and that needs to come off but like i said they are a bit worried about whether the engine needs to be lifted  :question

Neil_MV6

• Sutton Coldfield-West Midlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2009, 14:28:30 »

i agree with a previous poster, how can something that holds just oil rust right through!  ::)

The paint on the outside has come off over time and it's rusted in, from the outside. A deep stone chip will accelerate the rusting through in a particular spot.

If you can wait till your nights finish, just keep checking it, it shouldn't cause any problems unless it's really bad.

I'm sure someone on here will come up with one for you.

portomega

• Intermediate Member
  • Port Talbot, S. Wales
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2009, 14:47:35 »

Its actually not leaking too bad,  but im just worried if i hit i bump or something, it will split the sump right open as its obviosuly weak right now and the car will drop its guts all over the road  ;D

deecee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2009, 15:59:54 »

if you,ve a manual it will tell u in their if u have to take engine out or lift up
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 18 queries.