Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega 52 plate gone bang, any selling suggestions?  (Read 3104 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: Omega 52 plate gone bang, any selling suggestions?
« Reply #15 on: 17 August 2009, 21:31:12 »

Marko, no probs meantime...   :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #16 on: 17 August 2009, 21:59:50 »

HI Marko... i have your pm and will reply by tomorrow morning, i am local and dont mind casting an eye/ear over it....if we can get a suitable time  :y

I am still in the city centre at work right now :(

Brucie - appreciate  your kind words  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 August 2009, 22:01:59 »

Thanks Markie, appreciate it :) If you want to name the day and time I'll make sure I'm here m8
« Last Edit: 17 August 2009, 22:02:54 by marko2002 »

Derek_in_Penzance

• Penzance, Cornwall
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 August 2009, 11:18:46 »

Although it's only a CD it has only done 80,000 miles so if you like the car I'd put a good used engine in it, then offer the broken one for sale as spares/repair. That way you'll get some money back without the hassle of selling dozens of parts. Even though the engine is scrap, there are enough bits on them to make it worthwhile for some one like me to buy it and then strip it, selling all the parts separately. It's amazing how much it can all add up to, although it can take quite a while to break even and go on to make much of a  return. 

Short of selling your car for spares/repair -and it won't fetch much, it will stand you a hefty loss -I would go down the engine replacement route. If you get a Miggy enthusiast mechanic to do the job he might take your old engine in p/x. That's by far the cheapest way out of your predicament.

Just make sure the new engine is good, again, the guys on here should be able to help you out. I'm a bit too far away to be any help myself.
Go to Facebook and become a Fan of the GM6 Spares Facebook page. Omegas dismantling, mail order parts & servicing. Tech 2 services available.

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 August 2009, 11:28:13 »

Thanks Derek, think I will be looking to see how much we're talking to get her back on the road but I think it will be merely to sell her on in good condition.   An update on the situation of the engine however ... a friend of mine (who know's nothing really about engines) was asking what happened, told them and they asked if the engine still ran, curious after a couple of days and knowing that chances are the engine was knackered anyway I decided to give it a shot and the engine did actually start and run without gas or anything but it is making a whore of a noise, not a knocking or thumping noise but more or a 'slapping' noise.   Does this ring any bells with anyone?   Bear in mind the problem initially was the oil light came on and then the engine cut out.
« Last Edit: 18 August 2009, 11:29:27 by marko2002 »

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 August 2009, 11:05:31 »

From what I'm reading (trying to do some homework!) on the forums I think it's definately a case that the oil was having problems reaching the top of the engine somehow, possibly clogged filter or something which has starved the moving parts and hence causing the "slapping" noise - but I'm still not 100% on what exactly I'm looking at in way of getting it fixed.   Markie has mentioned he'll try and get across at the weekend and he may be able to put his finger on it straight away but in the meantime and to hopefully help Markie if he makes it across from what I've described can anyone poke a suggestion as to what could be the problem and what I'm looking at for a repair?
Cheers
Marko
« Last Edit: 19 August 2009, 11:06:17 by marko2002 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19 August 2009, 13:54:36 »

I would say that if the engine suffered a total loss of oil pressure and is now noisy, it needs a strip down and rebuild firstly to discover why it lost oil pressure and secondly to ensure that any damage has been rectified.

Whether that's worthwhile as opposed to chucking another engine in depends what you find when you strip it IMHO.

I would have expected the bottom end bearings to suffer first as these are relatively soft metal and heavily loaded. If it was shut down quickly you might survive without irreparable damage to the crank, bores, pistons and cams. At the minimum I would expect it to require new main and big end bearings and a crank polish / grind.

You may be very, very lucky and find that the noise is just the lifters having filled with air and got noisy but without getting to the bottom of why the oil pressure failed that is little help.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 August 2009, 14:25:24 »

Thanks for the response Kevin, unfortunately I know little about the engines or whether I could say the engine was shut down quick enough but I guess the fact that the engine shut itself off wasn't a good sign.   I literally had something like 2 seconds (or at least it felt like that!) between the oil light coming on and pulling off the motorway to try and stop but the engine cut itself off before I had a chance to.   I last tried starting it quickly the other day and it does start but making a lot of noise so I really do think it would be impractical to rebuild as the labour involved in this alone would cost an arm and a leg so my only option could be a replacement engine but again depending on the cost of this I may not get round to it as quickly as I would like but I think for now I'm going to try and budget for a replacement and see how I stand.   Can anyone recommend a recon/replacement outfit?
Cheers :)
Marko
« Last Edit: 19 August 2009, 14:27:15 by marko2002 »

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19 August 2009, 15:02:01 »

OK guys, final update from me on this and I'm afraid to say after much thought on the matter and after chatting a little to Markie I've decided to cut my losses and not fix the car but to simply get rid as is.   Problem is I'm looking at the best part of a grand to have the car put right which in all honest is probably the most I'd get back from my insurance if someone decided to write me off tomorrow, so taking that into account and the fact I've spent a couple of grand already and the purchase price of the car means I'm driving a massive liability and even fixing it to sell may not even cover the cost of the replacement engine so alas it's time for me and my former beast to part company I guess.   Thanks to all who offered their advice on this thread and especially to Markie who gave some great points and advice - you never know what the future holds, maybe another Omega?!
Cheers
Marko

Elite Pete

• Omega Queen
  • Chester
  • My spider senses are tingling
    • Audi SQ5 GSX1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19 August 2009, 15:12:22 »

Good luck with the sale Marko and I hope you get a decent price for it :y
Retired

Proz

• Omega Baron
  • Largoward , Fife , Scotland
    • Omega-less now :-/
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19 August 2009, 15:36:37 »

When my last mig had engine probs i was able to get a second hand unit and had an all in price for fitting of £600  ... as it happens i decided not to bother either but there are good replacement engines out there  :-/
Get yourself Giff Gaff'ed here :-) ...  http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/proz

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 19 August 2009, 15:44:08 »

Thanks Pete, here's hoping :)
Proz, it's just not viable for me unfortunatley m8, I'd honestly jump off the nearest kerb if I put another engine in this thing and something else went (not that I am expecting it) but so far the cost of the car to me has been something like five grand after the intial cost, exhaust, tyres and so forth.   Sometimes we just need to say enough is enough, and I've definately reached that point  :'(
Cheers
Marko
« Last Edit: 19 August 2009, 15:44:29 by marko2002 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 August 2009, 15:45:19 »

Thanks for the response Kevin, unfortunately I know little about the engines or whether I could say the engine was shut down quick enough but I guess the fact that the engine shut itself off wasn't a good sign....

I forgot about that. Sounds like it seized, which does mean a proper rebuild if it's salvageable at all so unless you are handy with the spanners, or fancy embarking on a learning experience I think you are making the right decision.  :'(

Kevin

Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

marko2002

• Coatbridge, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 August 2009, 15:50:48 »

Yep, my son's 15 year old and jumping up and down like Tiger at the thought of getting his first car in a few years and left to him we would both definately be on a learning experience with the car but the last time I did anything like this the car I was working on ended up in the scrap-yard anyway because the wife got fed up with the engine parts on the kitchen table (you can imagine the scene .. "where's all those bits love?" .. "wot, those filthy bits I threw in the bin?") errrrrrr  :-/
« Last Edit: 19 August 2009, 15:52:36 by marko2002 »

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 August 2009, 16:03:10 »

Yep, my son's 15 year old and jumping up and down like Tiger at the thought of getting his first car in a few years and left to him we would both definately be on a learning experience with the car but the last time I did anything like this the car I was working on ended up in the scrap-yard anyway because the wife got fed up with the engine parts on the kitchen table (you can imagine the scene .. "where's all those bits love?" .. "wot, those filthy bits I threw in the bin?") errrrrrr  :-/

There's your mistake. Next time, put them through the dishwasher before she finds them. ;D

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.