Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: coil pack relocation  (Read 2557 times)

dave abra

• Buckingham
    • View Profile
coil pack relocation
« on: 24 July 2010, 10:30:16 »

Hi everybody.  omega 2.5 v6

I have been having problems with my cars performance for some time now and having given the car to a garage, the cause of this problem is a knackered coil pack.

Problem is one of the four nuts/bolts has broken when trying to remove the pack and so it is stuck in position.

Is it possable to relocate a coil pack to a better position, whilst still having all the ht leads reach. (and then leaving the old broken pack in its position.

Thanks

David

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: coil pack relocation
« Reply #1 on: 24 July 2010, 10:38:45 »

Not really....
Grumpy old man

tidla

• Omega Baron
  • solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 July 2010, 11:18:04 »

anything is possible with time, money and inginuity..

if the coil pack is knackered anyway why not remove scuttle etc.

and use a mini air powered cut off tool to cut thru the acessable bolts/coil pack?

Teebee

• Intermediate Member
  • Slough
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 July 2010, 12:23:27 »

When I did my pack a year ago i'm sure someone posted a howto on this forum (i've seen it somewhere). I toyed with it but decided not to because it was too much effort and didn't look good (imo).

Try some google searches of this forum using the site: command.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 July 2010, 14:50:11 »

Some people have moved it to an area around the engine.

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 July 2010, 15:22:35 »

Yes, you can relocate it.
Use a Cavalier/Calibra/Vectra V6 coil pack mount bracket, and plug leads, maybe extend the low tension wires (cut, extend, solder, re-wrap) plus the correct coil pack - there are three different, so really, you need to get yours off for it's part number.

There will be some on here saying that it's not worth it, but my 2.5 has had one coil pack replacement and now it needs doing again, and as I plan to keep the car (or truck as it's becoming!) then I shall get these bits and bobs and relocate it where I can actually get at the little blighter and keep it dry! :y
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 July 2010, 21:10:07 »

Someone here moved it and all they needed was longer plug leads, I suspect it was not worth the hassle though, unless you are keeping the car forever. They don't need actually bolting down, a couple of tie wraps would secure it to the old dispack for example.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 July 2010, 21:37:48 »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 July 2010, 22:17:35 »

I REALLY struggle to see the point

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 July 2010, 07:55:09 »

Its simple. The poor chap is having trouble removing his dispack and would like to leave the original where it is and fit the new one  somewhere he can actually see it and work on it easily.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 July 2010, 08:30:42 »

considering DIS pack change is usually only done once in a cars life, there is really no point moving it. Scuttle off, and access is fine. 

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 July 2010, 10:03:10 »

considering DIS pack change is usually only done once in a cars life, there is really no point moving it. Scuttle off, and access is fine. 
I think the point here is that he cant get it off, scuttle off or otherwise because one of the bolts is shagged.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 July 2010, 10:24:47 »

I think the point here is that he cant get it off, scuttle off or otherwise because one of the bolts is shagged.

I think we understand with having stripped threads on the dispack plate it could be a pain with the limited space back there. But like already said dispacks do usually last a hell of a long time
 :D. Has there been water leaking down there as i have not had one yet with dickie bolts?
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2010, 10:54:56 »

Is it possable to relocate a coil pack to a better position, whilst still having all the ht leads reach. (and then leaving the old broken pack in its position.

Thanks

David

For those who can't read, this is the actual question asked. :y

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 July 2010, 10:55:39 »

Its simple. The poor chap is having trouble removing his dispack and would like to leave the original where it is and fit the new one  somewhere he can actually see it and work on it easily.

Exactly! ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 July 2010, 11:04:27 »

Thanks

David

Wondered what the scroll wheel on my mouse was for  ::)

We've answered his question! - Its current location is the best place for it, its at the back out of the way, its not a service item, its in relative cool air that gets tunnelled out of the engine. There are no other suitable locations in V6.

Sure you can get that stuck bolt out, a mirror against bulkhead should let you see how it needs attacking.

When refitting you can get away with two bolts on the replacement one  :y

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 25 July 2010, 14:46:32 »

Thanks

David

We've answered his question! - Its current location is the best place for it, its at the back out of the way, its not a service item, its in relative cool air that gets tunnelled out of the engine. There are no other suitable locations in V6.

Sure you can get that stuck bolt out, a mirror against bulkhead should let you see how it needs attacking.

Wrong!
The question was can it be relocated, and the answer is definitely yes.

I think GM should have kept it in the same position as the FWD V6 cars.

« Last Edit: 25 July 2010, 14:47:37 by PedroMV6 »

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 25 July 2010, 14:53:14 »

Thanks

David

Wrong!
The question was can it be relocated, and the answer is definitely yes.

I think GM should have kept it in the same position as the FWD V6 cars.

Vectra V6 setup is fundamentally flawed, its location in the Omega bay, is the best location, and should not be moved. I've seen photos of it being moved to behind the oil filter, but thats not viable, its not secure, its in the heat of the engine bay, even more prone to water ingress from scuttle. Can it be relocated, yes. Should it, no.

Whats the amazing place you would mount it?
« Last Edit: 25 July 2010, 14:55:46 by tunnie »

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 July 2010, 15:40:09 »

No need to try and be clever.

I would simply use the mounting arrangement as the FWD V6 cars - I thought you might have gathered that from previous posts.

Your opinion is not always right Tunnie, some of us have actually worked on cars - for me, in motorsport at high levels and at home in my own garage, therefore have a fair nbit of experience.
I fancy your experience is taken from the pages of this forum and others freely available on the internet.
It's pretty obvious to me that as a young lad, you like to think that you know the lot - trust me, you don't.

I shall not bother to reply to your posts again as it's clear to me that you like to wind people up in that condescending way of yours.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 July 2010, 15:48:30 »

Hi Pedro.

I am not aware that the front wheel drive cars are different, where is it mounted on them?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 July 2010, 15:54:38 »

Not at-all, i am just pointing out that the current location is the best. No need for moral high ground of working in motorsport at 'high' levels, assume that makes you more knowledgeable than someone who works in  banger racing or maybe a mechanic or even more knowledgeable than the DIY'er?  :-/

I don't mind being corrected, so please tell me in your opinion, the superior location for a DIS pack?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 25 July 2010, 15:55:34 »

quick google on the 2.5 V6 Vectra, leads look to go to the same place as Omega  :-/

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 25 July 2010, 15:58:42 »

No need to try and be clever.

I would simply use the mounting arrangement as the FWD V6 cars - I thought you might have gathered that from previous posts.

Your opinion is not always right Tunnie, some of us have actually worked on cars - for me, in motorsport at high levels and at home in my own garage, therefore have a fair nbit of experience.
I fancy your experience is taken from the pages of this forum and others freely available on the internet.
It's pretty obvious to me that as a young lad, you like to think that you know the lot - trust me, you don't.

I shall not bother to reply to your posts again as it's clear to me that you like to wind people up in that condescending way of yours.
Well said!  :)

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 25 July 2010, 15:59:53 »

quick google on the 2.5 V6 Vectra, leads look to go to the same place as Omega  :-/

Behind the scuttle?

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2010, 16:01:39 »

Behind the scuttle?

Err thats the Vac box for multi rams, you can see the 2 front vac pipes going in, like at the bottom of the V6 trumpets.

Of course that is my opinion  and my opinion may not always be right.
« Last Edit: 25 July 2010, 16:02:26 by tunnie »

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 July 2010, 16:12:32 »

Behind the scuttle?

Err thats the Vac box for multi rams, you can see the 2 front vac pipes going in, like at the bottom of the V6 trumpets.

You  misunderstand what I said. (Behind the scuttle?)
refers to the fact that the vectra leads do not go to the same place as the Omegas

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 July 2010, 16:18:09 »

Behind the scuttle?

refers to the fact that the vectra leads do not go to the same place as the Omegas

Apologies for mis-understanding  :y

Vectra it's same place, as Omega i believe its bolted to the back of the block, its just in FWD thats in the middle of the bay on the right, when the engine is rotated it sits back behind the scuttle.

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 July 2010, 16:35:59 »

Not at-all, i am just pointing out that the current location is the best. No need for moral high ground of working in motorsport at 'high' levels, assume that makes you more knowledgeable than someone who works in  banger racing or maybe a mechanic or even more knowledgeable than the DIY'er?  :-/

I don't mind being corrected, so please tell me in your opinion, the superior location for a DIS pack?
[/highlight]

As he is not replying to your posts any more, might I suggest that the superior postion is anywhere that one would like to put it in the engine bay that one is happy with.  It dosent have to be bolted to the rear of the cylinder head just because GM put it there. In fact you could argue that the dispack actually gets hotter as a result of it being in contact -albeit indirectly- with the head than mounting it as you put it  'in the heat of the engine bay'

Bent valve

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 July 2010, 16:39:02 »

Behind the scuttle?

Apologies for mis-understanding  :y

Vectra it's same place, as Omega i believe its bolted to the back of the block, its just in FWD thats in the middle of the bay on the right, when the engine is rotated it sits back behind the scuttle.
Apololgy accepted :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 July 2010, 16:45:04 »

[/highlight]

As he is not replying to your posts any more, might I suggest that the superior postion is anywhere that one would like to put it in the engine bay that one is happy with.  It dosent have to be bolted to the rear of the cylinder head just because GM put it there. In fact you could argue that the dispack actually gets hotter as a result of it being in contact -albeit indirectly- with the head than mounting it as you put it  'in the heat of the engine bay'

Totality agree, I've modified a few of GM's choices, but the the problem with DIS is where else to put it? V6 bay is tight as it is. Its a real struggle to mount just 6 LPG injectors, and they are tiny! Only space big enough is behind the oil filler, its more open to elements there, and more engine heat, and possible fluids from scuttle foam.

Also its only once in cars life it needs to be replaced, it maybe slight pain to get access but its only a once in a cars life job, its not like cam covers or oil changes.

If one bolt is being a git, magic socket it out, or, get sammy on it, just 2 bolts would be enough to hold its replacement.

OP asked if it can be moved, you can if you want to. But my opinion is that it should stay, think most would agree  :y

dave abra

• Buckingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27 July 2010, 13:46:14 »

Thanks everyone for your contributions on my post. I thought i would raise the issue as the garage was having issues and i didn't want a massive bill and the car was still broken.

Thankfully they got the last bolt out after soaking it and some leverage.

Car is fixed and running great.

Thank you again.
David
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 18 queries.