Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil filter removal  (Read 1853 times)

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Oil filter removal
« Reply #15 on: 01 January 2011, 22:50:12 »

Hope you included '3M TL70 threadlocker' in your kit Robson or something similar I got caught out!

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 January 2011, 22:51:01 »

Well Andy I hear what your possibly saying and again I can only say 15NM was the torque used and just over a week later about 300mls the Ba****d would not shift I was only hopeing an explanation would be forthcomeing I did a detailed explanation in the hope it would reveal the cause after all the post started with Auto Addicts contact haveing the same problem can I put this to you hypothetically if I filled the O ring lid recess with a sealer such as Sikaflex then could you not expect it to lock up almost solid as it appears in my case to have done? I'm simply saying the rubber O ring may have become more adhesive or swollen than expected due to it haveing the wrong chemical composition
Did you try boiling water on the filter housing?

Aluminium has a high coefficient of expansion. A kettle full of boiling water a has an almost magical shock effect if applied quickly.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 January 2011, 22:55:50 »

I  have purchased the conversion kit incase I ever have the same problem. My previous V6 1996 had a spin on filter why on earth did VX change to this cannister design.

cars had the canister type filter years before the metal throw-away cartridge type, and now we've gone full circle again.  :-/
There's nothing wrong with the actual design, it's tried & tested.
I think it is about reducing hazardous waste. Spin on filters result in more waste than plain oil filter elements.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 January 2011, 23:34:45 »

No unfortuneately I didn't. Did consider useing a gas blowlamp as a last resort, You could be right! Heat could solve the problem thinking about it, Might also be the cause as the cats fairly near, I did try holding the outer case as Kevin has mentioned without success, hence the outer case releasing from the block and finally breaking the bottom flange to engine block off the housing casting

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 January 2011, 11:11:58 »

Yours is an odd one Cliffo B.  Fitted correctly, and oil changed regularly, these are normally trouble-free...
Grumpy old man

Grrrrrr

• Intermediate Member
  • Buckinghamshire
    • Jaguar. WTF have I done?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 January 2011, 12:29:59 »

No unfortuneately I didn't. Did consider useing a gas blowlamp as a last resort, You could be right! Heat could solve the problem thinking about it, Might also be the cause as the cats fairly near, I did try holding the outer case as Kevin has mentioned without success, hence the outer case releasing from the block and finally breaking the bottom flange to engine block off the housing casting

I'd be careful using gas on it - ally can go up a treat!

Could well be change of temperature in this case though. Weather's been up and down (mainly down) for weeks.
Work is the curse of the drinking classes (Oscar Wilde)

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 January 2011, 14:18:15 »

Yes I know, done about 4 oil changes with no problems at all prior to this lock up situation, in fact I do consider the design of the Hengst filter housing to be very good, and would like to return to that system, but obviously would  need to know what caused it first. Brings me back to my interest in Auto Addicts post. :y

fiend61

• Omega Knight
  • york
  • each to their own
    • 2.5cdx 3.0mv6 3.2vec c
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 January 2011, 15:47:20 »

when garage done my oil filter i noticed that it was leaking oil, took it back and after much umming and ahhhing they changed the o seal this actually cured it, it came to light then that the seal supplied in the box was a different thickness and grade compared to another one out of a different box, just wondering whether you might have had same problem but in reverse and with heat caused the o ring to expand and the lid to 'weld' itself to casing
after typing all this i know it sounds stupid but funny things have happened  :y

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 03 January 2011, 09:56:48 »

Hello Cliffo B is TL 70 a stay flexible or rigid locker I assume this goes on the adaptor as it goes into the block.

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 03 January 2011, 11:23:26 »

Hello Robson,that is correct,what I did was clean the oil out of the threads with some of swmbo's cotton wool buds dipped in celly thinners,then used 3M Scotch-Weld threadlocker No TL70 which as you say is the hardest setting grade to fix in the adapter in the block,I got the thread locker from a local top class hardware merchant, but understand it's available from motor factors,should you have any problems getting this stuff PM me and I'll be happy to help. :y

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 03 January 2011, 11:42:29 »

Thanks for your input Fiend61,something is now beginning to add up,as I've been driven to it being something to do with the O ring seal, the only new part used, once the possibility of me over torqueing the lid is dismissed it has to be accepted, and of course I'm 100% sure of this :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 January 2011, 13:09:44 »

Thanks for your input Fiend61,something is now beginning to add up,as I've been driven to it being something to do with the O ring seal, the only new part used, once the possibility of me over torqueing the lid is dismissed it has to be accepted, and of course I'm 100% sure of this :y
I only use genuine filters (thus o rings), wonder if thats why I've not seen this myself?
Grumpy old man

Cliffo B

• Omega Baron
  • Leeds West Yorkshire
    • 03 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 04 January 2011, 00:27:08 »

I'm the same TB, only ever use GM stuff,even got the replacement spin on from them :y

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 January 2011, 11:12:49 »

I also do the oil drain while the engine is warm which may help

V6 CDX-er

• Intermediate Member
  • Sheffield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 January 2011, 15:26:45 »

Yours is an odd one Cliffo B.  Fitted correctly, and oil changed regularly, these are normally trouble-free...

You chaps can add me to the club of seized oil filter canisters.

I knew it would go badly when I had to get a massive breaker bar on the job just to get the sump plug out.  :o

If I ever meet the 'mechanics' who 'serviced' this car prior to me owning it, I'm going to punch them in the mouth!

I know exactly what's happened. Not only has this car not been serviced since jesus was being nailed to a cross, but the b#stards who did do it last have used a bloody air ratchet to do up the sump plug and the oil filter canister. And you can add to that the 20'000 gallons of yellow sealent they've used all over the place instead of gaskets and every job becomes a test of brute strength!

Man, I hope that karma exists. I had that the buggers who worked on this car have to suffer a lifetime of seized bolts and stripped threads.  >:(

And as for the ex owners, running a car where the metal carcuss / weave is sticking through the front tyres and the brake pads on all four corners are down to the metal is just not cool dude. if you can't afford to run a car, then use a god dam bus you halfwit! 

So, pour boiling water over the canister then?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.