Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Caravan Mass  (Read 7942 times)

polilara

• Finland
    • 2.6 Y26SE Elegance 2001
    • View Profile
Caravan Mass
« on: 26 March 2021, 07:39:01 »

What is technically the difference of 2.5/2.6 or 3.2/2.6 as both 2.5 and 3.2 have higher allowable mass of a mobile home with brakes (left column), brakes might be same and 2.6 has more power than 2.5. Difficult to understand. Would like to increase in my 2.6 it to 1850kg.

GrahamK

• Shropshire
  • 2003 2.6 CDX Saloon
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Mass
« Reply #1 on: 26 March 2021, 12:01:13 »

Hello,

I have some experience of towing (mostly caravans) with 3 different Omega's. One 2.5 and a pair of 2.6's.

My initial response to your question is, I would think carefully.

The reasoning for this is the quoted rating is a combination of vehicle weight, power, gearing, brakes and the safety regulations in force at the time the assessment was made. Although looking at the 2.5 Vs 2.6 many of those parameters will be the same or very similar, not all are. It is confusing, but the published data is the published data. This is what would be referred to in the event of an incident.
My last point is nothing to do with the law, as such, but seems to me to be based on a degree of reasonable common sense. Here in the UK we have an organisation called the Caravan Club. In my opinion, they are exceedingly up their own arses in most respects. They recommend to not exceed 80% of the towing car mass in your choice of trailer (or caravan). Based on experience of towing various rigs, some of which did not conform to the Caravan Club recommendations, for stability and towing comfort I think they are right on this point. Of course, many people exceed this and have done so for many years. The curb weight of a typical Omega is around 1600Kg+-
1875 is a fair bit heavier than that. We have a phrase, the "tail wagging the dog"
Whatever you decide to do, good luck in your travels.
Graham.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 March 2021, 12:07:39 »

Hello,

I have some experience of towing (mostly caravans) with 3 different Omega's. One 2.5 and a pair of 2.6's.

My initial response to your question is, I would think carefully.

The reasoning for this is the quoted rating is a combination of vehicle weight, power, gearing, brakes and the safety regulations in force at the time the assessment was made. Although looking at the 2.5 Vs 2.6 many of those parameters will be the same or very similar, not all are. It is confusing, but the published data is the published data. This is what would be referred to in the event of an incident.
My last point is nothing to do with the law, as such, but seems to me to be based on a degree of reasonable common sense. Here in the UK we have an organisation called the Caravan Club. In my opinion, they are exceedingly up their own arses in most respects. They recommend to not exceed 80% of the towing car mass in your choice of trailer (or caravan). Based on experience of towing various rigs, some of which did not conform to the Caravan Club recommendations, for stability and towing comfort I think they are right on this point. Of course, many people exceed this and have done so for many years. The curb weight of a typical Omega is around 1600Kg+-
1875 is a fair bit heavier than that. We have a phrase, the "tail wagging the dog"
Whatever you decide to do, good luck in your travels.
Graham.

In short. You can't.

Although where did you get that table from? The numbers are suspicious. GM deliberately doesn't include general towing weights in the Omega hand book on the basis that each trim affects it (ie sunroof/no sunroof), instead it refers you to the chassis plate for that particular vehicle.

On your chassis plate in the front door frame there's information. This tells you what you can tow with that chassis:

1. Manufacturer (Opel/Vauxhall/Cadillac/Chevrolet).
2. Type approval number.
3. VIN.
4. Permissible gross (max) VEHICLE weight.
5. Permissible gross (max) TRAIN (car plus trailer) weight.
6. Max front axle weight.
7. Max rear axle weight.
8. Paint/trim code and any local market info.

Basically you subtract 4. from 5. This gives you the maximum you can tow with that chassis.

Changing the gearbox and engine won't change the amount that that particular car can LEGALLY tow.

If you happen to be pulled over or get check weighed and it is a heavier trailer than the plate allows for then you are in trouble:

Potentially no insurance, unroadworthy vehicle, dangerous load, no licence (for the weight of the car plus trailer).

Also, if you ignore the maximum weights and have an accident, again your insurers won't pay, and it could cost you your house/property.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 March 2021, 12:10:05 »

To Grahams' point, the Caravan Club don't set the law, and the Omega handbook makes absolutely zero reference to permissible trailer weights. Which makes any 'publushed' figures questionable.  ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 March 2021, 15:17:36 »

They recommend to not exceed 80% of the towing car mass  ....

85%   ;)

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 March 2021, 15:30:26 »

Good to see there's some people who know about towing amongst us.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 March 2021, 16:07:13 »

;D ;D ;D

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 March 2021, 17:48:49 »

Good to see there's some people who know about towing amongst us.

There obviously isn't.

Dangerous load - a larger than permitted yrsiler doesn't cobstitute a dangerous load, and being over the recommended weight doesn't make the outfit dangerous.
No licence - have to be an extremely heavy vehicle and trailer to fall outside the permitted weights for category B+ E
Unroadworthy vehicle - again an overweight doesn't make the outfit unroadworthy. 
No insurance - being over weight doesn't automatically void any insurance

Tap room lawyers.... ::)
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 March 2021, 17:52:19 »

Never heard of a yrsiler.
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 March 2021, 17:52:47 »

Those are potential implications.

FACT remains, the OPs Omega can ONLY tow the maximum weight directed by the Chassis plate ie Gross train weight LESS Gross vehicle weight.

If that is wrong, then perhaps you would care to read your owners manual and explain why.

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 March 2021, 18:59:52 »

Or... as it says on the tin.
Laying a rubber road.

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2021, 19:11:17 »

Obey the rules which are easily accessible, simple.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 March 2021, 19:13:59 »

Obey the rules which are easily accessible, simple.
Just inside the front door in fact ;D

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 March 2021, 20:58:45 »

Or.. on the tin👍
Laying a rubber road.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 March 2021, 23:01:23 »

Those are potential implications.

FACT remains, the OPs Omega can ONLY tow the maximum weight directed by the Chassis plate ie Gross train weight LESS Gross vehicle weight.

If that is wrong, then perhaps you would care to read your owners manual and explain why.

I never said that the maximum axle / gvw or mgw (as it used to be) maw / train weights should not be exceeded. That is a specific offence in its own right. Whilst normally seen being used in connection with offences committed with goods vehicles, they can also be still applied to 'cars' that have the manufactures axle and maximum authorised vehicle weights displayed. This is more difficult to enforce with older cars that only have a VIN / chassis plate with no specific vehicle weights available, other than recommendations by the vehicles manufacturer.
My point was that the potential aspects you referred to are not offences relative to towing a yrsiler (sorry - trailer  :D......my fault for using my phone to post :y) that is deemed to be over weight relative to the towing vehicle. There are specific offences for exceeding the permitted axle / gvw or train weight now known as the maw (often referred to an 'over weight' vehicle) which the offender would be summoned for,  but the other matters would not be offences that would even be considered when there is a specific offence covering the actions of the offender.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.