Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Household electrickery question. Or two...  (Read 3532 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Household electrickery question. Or two...
« on: 08 July 2020, 17:51:38 »

Right, garage ceiling is down.  :D

Before it gets replaced, I want to take the opportunity to sort the wiring for shower room and utility additions within the garage.

I know where the stud walls/doors are going to be and the plumbing is basically in place. Wish to add a couple of sockets for the utility room (to replace an existing extension cord for the washer and dryer... Currently share a plug on the opposite wall), and a separate light for the utility and shower room (with extractor).

1. Is it acceptable to run spurs from the lighting and 13A rings, or better to extend the rings to include the new sockets/lights?

2. Also want to use the long since redundant 30A shower feed as an industrial socket in the garage. It has its own breaker switch in the fusebox. Would one of  Theses... suffice?
Onanists always think outside the box.

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Household electrickery question. Or two...
« Reply #1 on: 08 July 2020, 19:13:36 »

Personally, I'm not qualified,
1 extended ring main and spur off, or install new consumer unit, and run new to were you require.
2 yes, get a higher amp one
Hoof'land storeman.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 July 2020, 19:21:30 »

Right, garage ceiling is down.  :D

Before it gets replaced, I want to take the opportunity to sort the wiring for shower room and utility additions within the garage.

I know where the stud walls/doors are going to be and the plumbing is basically in place. Wish to add a couple of sockets for the utility room (to replace an existing extension cord for the washer and dryer... Currently share a plug on the opposite wall), and a separate light for the utility and shower room (with extractor).

1. Is it acceptable to run spurs from the lighting and 13A rings, or better to extend the rings to include the new sockets/lights?

lighting will be a radial circuit ,if wired 3 plate ,you can just extend the radial to another 3 plate rose  :y
a twin socket spured with 2.5 twin n earth will run a washer and dryer providing the ring you are spuring off meters out ok

2. Also want to use the long since redundant 30A shower feed as an industrial socket in the garage. It has its own breaker switch in the fusebox. Would one of  Theses... suffice?
As the cable is probably 6mm and fused at 30 amps, you may as well fit a 32a socket if you intend to run an electric metal snot machine or similar clicky
remember you won't have local isolation at the socket (unless you fit a 45amp double pole switch ) and the MCB in the consumer unit only offers single pole isolation , and anything plugged in will need to be appropriately fused ,32 amp plug to twin trailing socket adapter for example .

assuming you have a recent consumer unit with MCB and RCD protection

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 July 2020, 19:33:39 »

Just a small thing to consider;

Although not in the regs, most Extractors should be fitted with an isolator for maintenance.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 July 2020, 19:46:50 »

Just a small thing to consider;

Although not in the regs, most Extractors should be fitted with an isolator for maintenance.
It will be an inline fan and located in the utility room, so will by definition be isolated at the switch :y

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 July 2020, 20:09:54 »

unless it has a permanent live feed for over run timer
and neutral won't be isolated in any event without fitting a double pole switch

as it's in a utility room ,not a bath room you could fit a double pole switched fused spur to run just the fan
or, if you wish to switch the light and fan together on the same switch (with or without over run timer) then run the line/live and neutral into a double pole switched fused spur ,then wire the light and fan after  (fused appropriately- remove 13a ,replace with 3 or 5a )
crabtree spur

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 July 2020, 20:22:20 »

:y

That makes sense ;)

I need/want to move a double socket due to a door location conflict, so may as well extend the ring to include the utility sockets...
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 20:31:53 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 July 2020, 21:23:10 »

I would add DG that fully compliant, up to date with 18th Edition Regs, earth bonding is carried out connecting all metal pipes and fittings in the bathroom area, with these being fed to the earth connection of the immersion outlet, or electric shower feed, not back to the main consumer unit.

;)
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 21:26:15 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 July 2020, 22:11:16 »

I doubt DG will be doing any electricary work in the bathroom himself (it's an insurance claim IIRC )
no doubt all the new pipework will be plastic anyway,bath probably acrylic or fiberglass, with the exception of any existing towel rail or radiator .

To Bond or not to Bond
combi boilers tend to be bonded at the boiler, with plastic water pipe and RCD protection to 16th edition+ , Supplementary bonding in bathrooms becomes pointless ,especially with no electric shower ,IP64 lighting

IF on the other hand, DG still has a 1970's wylex rewirable fuse box  :o he should take to washing in a bucket outside  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 July 2020, 22:33:15 »

Insurance part of job is all done bar the replacement of the garage space ceiling. House was completely rewired in 2000, so no more wire fuses ;D

Combi boiler ;) hence using the shower 30a for garage toys... so only electricity in the new (additional) shower room is a light (either suitable halogen spots or an led panel. Shower room light switch will be in the utility (I say utility, but only plumbing is the washing machine and plumbing is pre existing and all in order.

Basically, the garage is being split in three, separate, spaces. Plumbing was put in place several years ago, so it's just wiring and studwork to do before the final finishing  ;)

Oh, and the small matter of knocking through from the hall :D
« Last Edit: 08 July 2020, 22:50:48 by Doctor Gollum »

dad1uk

• Omega Knight
  • Birmingham
    • Vauxhall Zafira 2.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 July 2020, 10:42:04 »

and the small matter of knocking through from the hall
What could possibly go wrong???
best wishes
Simon.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 July 2020, 10:44:21 »

Non supporting block work... Anything is possible  :D

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 July 2020, 14:58:39 »

I doubt DG will be doing any electricary work in the bathroom himself (it's an insurance claim IIRC )
no doubt all the new pipework will be plastic anyway,bath probably acrylic or fiberglass, with the exception of any existing towel rail or radiator .

To Bond or not to Bond
combi boilers tend to be bonded at the boiler, with plastic water pipe and RCD protection to 16th edition+ , Supplementary bonding in bathrooms becomes pointless ,especially with no electric shower ,IP64 lighting

IF on the other hand, DG still has a 1970's wylex rewirable fuse box  :o he should take to washing in a bucket outside  ;D

Plastic?  PLASTIC? :o :o :o :o

Wash your mouth out Dave! :P :P

I am a traditionalist and have and always will use good old copper and brass when I plumb in anything  (just doing an electric shower installation job now, and did a radiator installation last week) as I believe in doing a proper job with materials tried and tested, and good old fashioned soldering,  NEVER push fit rubbish!  I know once I have finished the job it could last 50+ year at least, but does anyone know how long all this PLASTIC stuff will keep together without splitting or joints failing? :( :( ::) ::)

Still, I am an old fashioned girl, so no doubt all the modernists amoungst you will scream "plastic is no problem Liz!!" ::) ::) :P :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)
« Last Edit: 09 July 2020, 15:01:16 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09 July 2020, 15:44:38 »

Plumbing for the shower that replaced the bath is plastic, but the garage one is going to be copper.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 July 2020, 17:32:49 »

Plumbing for the shower that replaced the bath is plastic, but the garage one is going to be copper.

Good choice DG! ;D ;D :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.