Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Gm exhaust numbers  (Read 5349 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Gm exhaust numbers
« Reply #30 on: 19 June 2020, 22:50:45 »

Both cats are part of the down pipe and 2.5/3.0 are different to 2.6/3.2 (for the purpose of this exercise)  ;)

Ideally need to be type rated to avoid MoT issues...

Starter for 10...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM91119-Catalytic-Converter-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-3-2i-V6-1-01-2-01-offside-/391873114856

Obviously that one doesn't mention being type rated, so caveat emptor etc...
« Last Edit: 19 June 2020, 22:54:42 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 June 2020, 04:15:06 »

Almost certainly it's not type approved. It has the earlier BM Catalysts part code BM91119. Strictly speaking intended for cars registered prior to 1st March 2001 and not legal to sell or fit or use in a car registered on or after that date in the UK.

The BM Catalysts R103 type approved cat is BM91119H. All BM made type approved versions have the H suffix.
The nearside cat is BM91118H or GM 24456830.

In general R103 type approved cats have to be made to a standard of fit, performance and lifespan that's at least as good or better than the factory part. In general that means more platinum, iridium and palladium in the cats. So they should last longer than non type approved versions.

Whether the MOT tester cares to notice is a different question.

Both cats are part of the down pipe and 2.5/3.0 are different to 2.6/3.2 (for the purpose of this exercise)  ;)

Ideally need to be type rated to avoid MoT issues...

Starter for 10...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BM91119-Catalytic-Converter-VAUXHALL-OMEGA-3-2i-V6-1-01-2-01-offside-/391873114856

Obviously that one doesn't mention being type rated, so caveat emptor etc...

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 June 2020, 08:05:40 »

Not to mention that you likely won't be able to get one from Vauxhall in the UK. There might be a remote chance of a special order from Germany, but I would imagine it will cost more then the value of your car.

The best bet is one of these kits @ £112 delivered. Make an offer of £70 (+ delivery), they usually make a counter offer which will get the total outlay closer to £100. The  usually arrive from Germany within a week. Or perhaps Poland where they are made. However the listing says these kits are actually now in the UK, for a change.

Some members have also had success with these Gerlach kits @ £127 delivered from Germany. I think they're also made in Poland.

One issue with all of the aftermarket centre boxes is that the pipes are cut, to shorten the packaging length and reduce freight costs. They give you clamping sleeves to join the pieces back together. Functionally they're fine but it makes the exhaust slightly more awkward to fit.

No they don't,,,,, absolutely dangle whatnots

If you buy from the recommendation of members, it comes in the correct lengths withe the proper fittings, no sleeves whatso ever.
Hoof'land storeman.

jb

• bucks
    • 3.2 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 June 2020, 08:30:48 »

I have fitted an eternal system to my 3.2 in 2009 with clamshell center sections and it was just as good as the original FACTORY GM and lasted until 2019 when it went in the usual places on the twin pipes behing the back box.Subsequently fitted 5 more of these to other 3.2's and all good.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 June 2020, 09:54:46 »

My last Elite had custom stainless cats, centre pipes and Irmscher back box and was as refined as any standard Omega that ever rolled out of Russelheim.
Not really, as the Irmscher backbox on its own is noisier than the standard setup.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 June 2020, 11:48:54 »

I don't recall it being any noisier that the factory exhaust/the genuine one that replaced it/the cheap one thar replaced that on my '54 plod ::)

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 June 2020, 13:43:47 »

I don't recall it being any noisier that the factory exhaust/the genuine one that replaced it/the cheap one thar replaced that on my '54 plod ::)

Probably 'cos the old one had a hole in it and was blowing...!! ;D ;D ;D :y
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 June 2020, 14:14:15 »

Oh yes they do.

Here's a picture of one from Eternal Cars.

Not to mention that you likely won't be able to get one from Vauxhall in the UK. There might be a remote chance of a special order from Germany, but I would imagine it will cost more then the value of your car.

The best bet is one of these kits @ £112 delivered. Make an offer of £70 (+ delivery), they usually make a counter offer which will get the total outlay closer to £100. The  usually arrive from Germany within a week. Or perhaps Poland where they are made. However the listing says these kits are actually now in the UK, for a change.

Some members have also had success with these Gerlach kits @ £127 delivered from Germany. I think they're also made in Poland.

One issue with all of the aftermarket centre boxes is that the pipes are cut, to shorten the packaging length and reduce freight costs. They give you clamping sleeves to join the pieces back together. Functionally they're fine but it makes the exhaust slightly more awkward to fit.

No they don't,,,,, absolutely dangle whatnots

If you buy from the recommendation of members, it comes in the correct lengths withe the proper fittings, no sleeves whatso ever.
« Last Edit: 20 June 2020, 14:22:58 by Enceladus »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 June 2020, 14:30:41 »

Probably 'cos the old one had a hole in it and was blowing...!! ;D ;D ;D :y
Nope, was newly fitted to the car before I bought it and leak free (although it had been fitted wrongly ;D). Still didn't blow after fettling :P

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 June 2020, 18:29:19 »

Yeah, its noticeably louder, though not as offensive as most stainless backbones.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 June 2020, 18:39:29 »

Yeah, its noticeably louder, though not as offensive as most stainless backbones.
I meant the exhaust as a whole (on my black Irmscher Elite) rather than the Irmscher box on its own  ;)

That said, the estates weren't as refined as the saloons, so perhaps that's why. The Barge is double glazed so you can't hear much of anything  ;D

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20 June 2020, 20:49:25 »

Having had all sorts of Cat back exhausts (Genuine GM from factory, Bosal, no name Kwik Fit type, full stainless single pipe, Full stainless twin pipe) over a number of Omega's I can honestly say the £75 (probably more now) ETS / Eternal twin wall with clamshell silencers is the closest to the original GM (ie refined at all rpm) and best exhaust I have ever put on a V6 Omega, Needless to say all three of mine have the ETS / Eternal exhausts on them currently.

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 25 June 2020, 06:55:48 »

Cheers gone withcome of the double skin clamshell types. 108 inc delivery  we shall see how it goes
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.