Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Every Way I turn I`m stuck  (Read 1351 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Every Way I turn I`m stuck
« on: 20 April 2007, 15:56:47 »

Bloody wrong way inserted vecra engines....

trying to do this water pump and have released bolts on the plates on water pump etc. Removed 3 of 5 on crank ....no 4 is stuck and no 5 is ROUNDED. Not me incidentally.

So i cant get the cam cover off because of the plate still secured at the very bottom. I have about 4inches space to play with betwen timing belt cover and inner wing its so tightly fitted.

My options..?

Is it possible to remove water pump with out removing timing belt cover..my concern here is the sludge etc will possibly run inside the cover  :-/
Or do i cut the cover at the bottom - botch job....
Or do i forget it and leave water pump - botch job ....

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
Re: Every Way I turn I`m stuck
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2007, 16:03:07 »

trying to do this water pump and have released bolts on the plates on water pump etc. Removed 3 of 5 on crank ....no 4 is stuck and no 5 is ROUNDED. Not me incidentally.

So i cant get the cam cover off because of the plate still secured at the very bottom. I have about 4inches space to play with betwen timing belt cover and inner wing its so tightly fitted.

My options..?

Is it possible to remove water pump with out removing timing belt cover..my concern here is the sludge etc will possibly run inside the cover  :-/

Can you get a longer breaker bar in there to turn the stuck bolt?  As for the rounded one (with 4" of space it aint gonna be easy) but on my cats when a bolt rounded, I hammered a 12 mill socket over it rather than using the 13 mm it would have normally required..

Sorry to hear its not quite going to plan, I've yet to help my housemate do most of what you are on his V6 Vectra, everytime he opens the bonnet I cringe  :(
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

ClarCE

• Newbury, Berks
  • Cam Covers x 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2007, 16:03:59 »

My options..?

Also, I read on the vectra forum that you can access some of it from underneath by removing the drivers road wheel..
So Far - :: Re-Finished Elite Wheels :: Black Leather Interior :: 3.0 Cams :: Chipped (REMOVED, EBAY SHI*E) :: Facelift Skirts ::
To Do   - :: Facelift Rear Bumper, Door Mouldings :: Irsmsher Front Air Da

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2007, 16:05:23 »

....to those not quite sure why i keep moaning about space and wrongly mounted engines ( vectra is 90degrees anticlockwise compared to omega)

.... although maths was never my strong point so if i'm wrong please correct me someone!!

MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 April 2007, 16:07:32 »

[/quote]

Also, I read on the vectra forum that you can access some of it from underneath by removing the drivers road wheel..[/quote]

Y`know i was just starting to wonder about that one...its worth a look.... :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 April 2007, 16:19:34 »

Also, I read on the vectra forum that you can access some of it from underneath by removing the drivers road wheel..

Looks like you need to cut off the front wing then weld a new one back on when finished ;-) A couple of coats of two-pack and job's a good'un.

I used to hate working on my last (FWD) car. And that was only a four pot.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 April 2007, 16:44:09 »

taken the wheel off....and some of the undertray.....

two stubborns left ....e12 to big...e10 wont fit. Tried all sorts of permutations of socket and spanner and various lotions and potions - but no way Jose.....

Brilliant access underneath top tip from ClarCE  :y

Having a grope around under there and i think i may get away with removing all the bolts from cam cover and removing plate for water pump etc etc and prizing the cover off without removing the crank outer plate....

Ronald_McBurger

« Reply #7 on: 20 April 2007, 16:49:01 »

Tried E11 yet?

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 April 2007, 17:38:06 »

Tried E11 yet?

yes mate i have.....just going to have to work around it...ive got sufficient leverage round the cam cover to undo water pump bolts..my concern is the upchuck that will invariably go over cam belt.....loads of towels and tissues at the ready.....heres hoping ts slow moving sludge and limited water.... :-/

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 April 2007, 20:09:42 »

What about Ye Olde Whitworth size sockets?  Not the first time I've managed to get a rounded bolt/nut off by clumping a W/W socket on.....

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2007, 22:39:41 »

What about Ye Olde Whitworth size sockets?  Not the first time I've managed to get a rounded bolt/nut off by clumping a W/W socket on.....

got the cam cover off Broocie  :y but seemy other thread - had a mini heart attack and may yet need that crank cover off  :-/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.