Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: holiday pay tax  (Read 559 times)

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
holiday pay tax
« on: 07 October 2010, 21:10:56 »

I have a weeks holiday left to take, but im not fussed as it wil just be wasted by sleeping or breaking something on the car.

I told my boss today i want to cash it in, he has told me no problem but since it will be added to my weeks pay I will be taxed heavier on the holiday pay than if I was to take the week off.

is this right? he reckons I could lose about £50 of my weeks holiday money.  >:(

thanks

Steve

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: holiday pay tax
« Reply #1 on: 07 October 2010, 21:20:43 »

It should be treated like any other PAYE income as far as I can see.  I'm not sure what he's saying - that you'll be worse off than if you didn't get paid it at all?

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 October 2010, 21:21:27 »

i cant see how personally, its just a weeks money paid as usual

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2010, 21:22:37 »

Initially yes .. as the tax will be taken "from the tables" by the paying company .. and the tables are probably on their computor !!

However, over the year it will even out so that you wil pay the same tax on it as "normal" .. unless it takes you into a higher tax bracket.

Will all be sorted when you do your end of year tax return, or if you don't do one, when your employer sends in your last statement to the IR.

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 October 2010, 21:23:14 »

he reckons Ill get taxed heavier as its added to my wage, essentially making that weeks wage double, so taxed accordingly.

whatever happened to cash in hand grrrr  >:(

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07 October 2010, 21:24:07 »

Initially yes .. as the tax will be taken "from the tables" by the paying company .. and the tables are probably on their computor !!

However, over the year it will even out so that you wil pay the same tax on it as "normal" .. unless it takes you into a higher tax bracket.

Will all be sorted when you do your end of year tax return, or if you don't do one, when your employer sends in your last statement to the IR.

paye will go on a higher tax bracket, double wages, was just thinking that.

HolyCount

« Reply #6 on: 07 October 2010, 21:31:19 »

Boss could always leak it into your pay over a few weeks as a bonus.

vauxfan2k

• Omega Knight
  • Western Isles
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 October 2010, 21:33:59 »

my boss is an ex accountant, so does everything strictly by the book, no cash in hand no bonuses, everything taxed im afraid.

the "ive put an extra tenner in your pay this week" works out about 4.30 after tax, so made it an extremely wasted 1hr overtime.

Richie London

• Omega Queen
  • heathrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07 October 2010, 21:43:43 »

my boss is an ex accountant, so does everything strictly by the book, no cash in hand no bonuses, everything taxed im afraid.

the "ive put an extra tenner in your pay this week" works out about 4.30 after tax, so made it an extremely wasted 1hr overtime.

being self employed they just take 20% from me and i make sure i dont go into a higher tax bracket and have loads of expenses, last year was my worse years since 1988 when i became self employed, no rebate  :(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2010, 22:15:18 »

paye will go on a higher tax bracket, double wages, was just thinking that.

It'll all come out in the wash at the end of the tax year because a rebate will be due so it will either be paid or taken from next years tax code.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.