Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: changing exhaust manifold gasket on a 2.0  (Read 716 times)

dippydave

• Sutton Coldfield, West Mids
  • how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
changing exhaust manifold gasket on a 2.0
« on: 09 July 2009, 10:56:36 »

I need to do this, and can't find any helpful how-to's or maintenance guides.

Anyone any pointers?

Like how to change the studs too, which appears to be a good idea?  :-/

It is only a 2.0 16v so lots more room than the v6  :y
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
Re: changing exhaust manifold gasket on a 2.0
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2009, 11:04:01 »

gonna follow me the Haynes and hope for the best  :-/ :-/
Vectra Elite Estate doing good post-Omega service but still not as nice to sit in.

One last Omega on the drive, one Corsa on the lawn...maybe they'll go to a good home before too long!

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2009, 11:26:22 »

Check for broken studs before you start (feel and mirror). You must soak the studs and nuts in PlusGas for a day before you attemp to undo them. If you have any RustFlash (freezer spray with penetrant) this is very good.
You are likely to find a broken stud at the front and /or a cracked manifold so be prepared.
Before refitting the manifold check it for flatness and flatten it with a file and emery if needed.
Have a few studs and a new set of nuts ready...there can be a lot of errosion because of the heat.

QuickFit changed the manifold gasket on a 2.0 I had previously, they broke a stud and re-attached it with body filler.......it didnt work >:(

Welung666

« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2009, 11:40:34 »

Dave if you need any help you can take a run over here, we'll have a cuppa while it cools and I'll help you :y Don't forget your new gasket though ;)

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 July 2009, 04:59:33 »

Dave if you need any help you can take a run over here, we'll have a cuppa while it cools and I'll help you :y Don't forget your new gasket though ;)

that sounds like a plan - although how far of a run? it takes a fair while to cool I think!

bad news is I took the heat shield off today (only held on with two bolts but hey) and I think I found part of the manifold missing at the downpipe joint. oh and the nuts look well tired :( bit like me  8-). anyway gave em a good soak in wd40 while i was at it. Does Plusgas differ from wd40 anyone?

I have already bought gaskets, studs, nuts etc but realise this isn't a quick job (nor should it be) and an experienced hand would be better than my novice one!

TTfn nighty night

Welung666

« Reply #5 on: 11 July 2009, 08:36:56 »

that sounds like a plan - although how far of a run? it takes a fair while to cool I think!

bad news is I took the heat shield off today (only held on with two bolts but hey) and I think I found part of the manifold missing at the downpipe joint. oh and the nuts look well tired :( bit like me  8-). anyway gave em a good soak in wd40 while i was at it. Does Plusgas differ from wd40 anyone?

I have already bought gaskets, studs, nuts etc but realise this isn't a quick job (nor should it be) and an experienced hand would be better than my novice one!

TTfn nighty night

I'm in Dudley so not far :y WD40 and PlusGas are very different, do a search on here as that argument has been covered several times ;D Have a look round the breakers yards (I suggest the Saltley lot for you) for another manifold but check it closely ;)
« Last Edit: 11 July 2009, 08:37:25 by Welung666 »

dippydave

• how personal?
    • Vectra 2.0DTi Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2009, 19:45:05 »

Thanks again for all the advice and offers of help, but as I ran out of time and had several other problems with the engine, I ended up paying for this job to be done.

Manifold needed skimming as it had warped slightly, but all the studs came off no trouble  :y Don't know if they used plusgas or not, but I'll be investing for my next trip down stiffnutalley!  8-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 21 queries.