Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nurse requires Cambelt!  (Read 4009 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Nurse requires Cambelt!
« on: 29 April 2020, 10:29:05 »

Well, it's that lovely time of the decade, cambelt time again  :y And as the Omega is the daily transport for the other half as Community Nurse I owe it to her to keep the Old Girl in roadworthy safe condition.

I had a very kind off from a fellow OOFer to do the job myself with him looking over my shoulder so to speak, checking I'm doing everything right, though I'm not sure under current guidelines that's going to happen, however I'll check with him in due course. Options are...

1. Ignore it (no!)
2. Take it to local garage (no!)
3. Do it myself (have the tools, not the confidence!)
4. See about other qualified OOF persons on here - doesnt matter the mileage I have to travel as I know it'll be a good standard of work, Serek etc...

We're between Stratford-upon-Avon and Northampton essentially in a cow field... what do we think?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
Re: Nurse requires Cambelt!
« Reply #1 on: 29 April 2020, 11:06:07 »

If your not 100% confident, and you've been offered help, take it. Every day is a learning day, and as you said the wife needs the car everyday to go to work,why risk doing it wrong..
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 April 2020, 11:11:34 »

Just to clarify it's a case of if the help is still on the table... may well be they don't want some smelly Norther person coming in their house coughing all over the place using their tools!  :D

More than happy to do the job with some assistance, in fact that's the preferred ideal solution. I will pay someone (good) if I have to, and equally will do the job on my own (again, if I have to) but as I say that extra pair of eyes will be worth their weight in gold. She's got s few days off in a little over a week so I'm just gathering my options for now.

Also, just to add to the list - do I recall that the crank locking tool (one on the left) is not strictly speaking necessary? Reason is I don't have one, got the other bits, not that.

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 April 2020, 11:41:05 »

DLK (Darth LooKnee) has re-appeared on the forum and used to do mine for me .. really excellent work everytime ... now, he used to be in Stoke - I would drive up and he would do it while I waited - but he may well now be in Poland ... who knows !!!!!!!!!   :)

(and I still have a complete timing kit for sale ... see sales pages) ...  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 April 2020, 11:42:00 »

Ta mate  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 April 2020, 11:42:46 »

You NEED the crank lock and wedge in order to not require a new engine.

Desmond doesn't require it, but the belt run is very different.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 April 2020, 11:45:10 »

Ahhh  :(

Had it at the back of my mind that it was worth sticking on, but not strictly speaking necessary, given how hard it is to actually crank an engine over for anyone that's ever done it plugs in. Ta  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 April 2020, 11:51:02 »

They turn over much less easily if you leave it in gear :-[
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 April 2020, 11:52:10 »

Fair dos  :y

So, who's still doing them or is everyone hiding indoors?  ;D

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 April 2020, 15:23:31 »

If your in Northampton ish Shire, Try serek down here in hoof'land,
Hoof'land storeman.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 April 2020, 07:14:49 »

I’ll do it free of charge, the only issue at the moment is this Covid19 situation.

I’m not actually a mechanic by trade, so when they’re telling people to stay home by law, I’m not sure I should be doing a 100+ mile round trip to service a car. I want to - because it’s for a keyworker no less - but I’m just not sure it would constitute an essential journey.

Additionally, I’d be more than happy for you to bring it here, but again, part of the government rules are no visitors who don’t live in the household.

I would imagine the same difficulties would apply with any other hobbyist / enthusiast mechanics :(

Whilst ignoring it is obviously not an option, it might be a balanced decision to leave it until these regs are relaxed? Hopefully it won’t be long :y

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 April 2020, 07:31:14 »

James, it came as no surprise to read that you had volunteered to do this job - altruistic as ever
As I understand it, they are advisory rules rather than actual laws, and as you are helping a key worker surely is is ok to travel for such an important reason?
Stay safe anyway James.

Ron.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 April 2020, 07:39:38 »

James, it came as no surprise to read that you had volunteered to do this job - altruistic as ever
As I understand it, they are advisory rules rather than actual laws, and as you are helping a key worker surely is is ok to travel for such an important reason?
Stay safe anyway James.

Ron.

No - it’s legislation. People undertaking non essential activity are being “ticketed”.

I just don’t think I could argue it’s essential travel / an essential visit if I were to be stopped or asked about why I’m so far from home. I don’t have work reasons - as I’m not a mechanic

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 April 2020, 07:57:29 »

If I was in work at the moment then it would be easy (working in Gaydon), sadly Notts is a bit further away.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 April 2020, 09:53:51 »

Much thanks to all. And thanks for clarification of the situation James. In terms of the travel I fully appreciate you'd not want to risk any legal issues, don't want you risking anything on mine or anyone's behalf.

Also Thanks for Mark, yes Gaydon is just round the corner, typically it would have been mere seconds for you to glance over, see what I'd done wrong and probably refit and adjust the belt in its entirety, and probably sort the starting issue, cure the squeak in the passenger seat in the time it took me to return with a cuppa! But alas not to be.

I'd be happy to travel, at least putting any risk on my shoulders. Just confirming what I asked in the pm James, do you have a timing kit tool? Ta all, again  :y

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 18 queries.