Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Firestick or equivalent  (Read 1442 times)

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
Firestick or equivalent
« on: 20 September 2022, 22:08:48 »

Do any of you use a Firestick (or the equivalents  Roku,Xiaomi Firecube etc...) streaming media player .
If so can you,by means of an app ,get live streaming of free to air TV stations including BBC and ITV ?

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Firestick or equivalent
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2022, 23:00:28 »

Yes we use a firestick to watch on demand uk Tv ( iplayer and ch4 and very occasionally itv)

We don't stream live tv as we have 907 service in HD for the principle channels. Picture quality is superb. I am not much impressed with internet tv but only have 10 meg 4G. You might have a better experience with your super fast internet. Tvmucho?  Have a search on British expats uk tv for threads. It is a well trodden pat!
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2022, 08:20:27 »

We have a few Firesticks, which can do streaming via the channel's normal app like iPlayer, ITV Hub, My5 etc.  Not all the Freeview channels seem to have apps, and not all apps seem to have the option of streaming live broadcasts.  In addition, I think iPlayer might be geo-locked by IP.

Particularly on the lower end and older Firesticks, some apps are a bit sluggish - even powering on the Firestick at the wall can take several minutes before it becomes usable.

Much like a Smart TV, you install a (usually free) app from the Amazon Fire store, and once installed, you select this app from the Firestick's home page, so iPlayer for BBC, ITV Hub for ITV etc.  I've not had it yet on Firesticks, but imagine like Smart TVs, there comes a time when the apps become incompatible with older devices and stop working.

In my recent experiences, Roku is every bit as sluggish as the original Firesticks, although that was a NowTV one, so might be that Uncle Rupert sends out the oldest, cheapest shite he can ;D

I have issues with Wifi where I live (long story), so I find with the Firesticks that I have to buy an HDMI extension cable to lift the Firestick above the TV in some rooms, in order to get a solid Wifi connection, else the TV shields the signal a bit.
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 September 2022, 10:59:44 »

Have a look at Monster app. Can be loaded on a firestick.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 September 2022, 12:38:50 »

I have to ask, as someone not really into these kind of things, but......... 

With Smart TV's, especially those with Freeview Play, why would a Firestick be required now? :( :(

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 September 2022, 13:44:03 »

With Smart TV's, especially those with Freeview Play, why would a Firestick be required now? :( :(
A firestick turns a non smart tv into a smart tv...

HOWEVER, most smart TVs are not supported for long, and the apps tend to fall out of date quickly and stop working. Or start to run sluggishly.  Thats if you are lucky enough for the app to appear on your brand's app store in the first place.  For example, Kodi is a popular app used by a lot of people because of what it allows you to do through various configurations and plugins.  Yet, despite the fact that Kodi itself is perfectly legal and legitimate, it rarely appears in Smart TV app stores because of what it allows you to do less legally.

I have a Samsung N95 Smart TV. Reasonably modern and current.  But the choice of app is a little limited from Samsung's store for Tizen OS TVs, and the apps run like an absolute sack of shite unless the TV has been one a few minutes.  Mind you, a Firestick from turning on to being usable is hardly "speedy" ;D
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 September 2022, 14:27:05 »

HOWEVER, most smart TVs are not supported for long, and the apps tend to fall out of date quickly and stop working. Or start to run sluggishly.  Thats if you are lucky enough for the app to appear on your brand's app store in the first place.  For example, Kodi is a popular app used by a lot of people because of what it allows you to do through various configurations and plugins.  Yet, despite the fact that Kodi itself is perfectly legal and legitimate, it rarely appears in Smart TV app stores because of what it allows you to do less legally.

I have a Samsung N95 Smart TV. Reasonably modern and current.  But the choice of app is a little limited from Samsung's store for Tizen OS TVs, and the apps run like an absolute sack of shite unless the TV has been one a few minutes.  Mind you, a Firestick from turning on to being usable is hardly "speedy" ;D
Going on from that TB, as a new owner of a smart t/v, does your criteria for apps apply to Iplayer, ITV hub, all4, my5 etc?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 September 2022, 14:46:36 »

Going on from that TB, as a new owner of a smart t/v, does your criteria for apps apply to Iplayer, ITV hub, all4, my5 etc?
Catchup services are apps, so yes.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 September 2022, 14:53:12 »

Catchup services are apps, so yes.
Thanks for the info.  :y

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2022, 14:56:06 »

Ah, thanks TB :y :y

I must say I have Panasonic televisions with Freeview play and I can receive in all 30 apps, from Netflix, Youtube, Britbox, Chili, and more including the main catch-up channels which is all I require.  Since the Smart tv's came out I have found the apps are always there and never fade on Panasonic sets. ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2022, 19:37:00 »

The fires tic has hundreds and hundreds of apps, as do most smart TV sets now.  30 sounds a bit stingy, but as long as it covers what you need.

Like everything else they do, Panasonic were late to the party, so it could be they haven't actually improved their systems since launch, so the app developers haven't had to keep their Panasonic apps updated.  Or simply the app developers are doing the honourable thing and ignoring Panasonic, plausible given the low app count....
Grumpy old man

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2022, 08:14:20 »

Britflix.tw would give you access to a world of television.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2022, 12:05:36 »

Britflix.tw would give you access to a world of sh!t television.
Fixed that Varche.  ;) ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2022, 10:51:10 »

How true!  ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 September 2022, 14:01:13 »

i only use mine to watch youtube so have an activated nowtv box from car boot.
this word (activated ) has caught me out a couple of times when buying them.
if you get a NEW one then you have to register it,put in you bank details to even get it to come  on.
i have heard that a firestick doesnt need this.just to watch youtube only. can anyone confirm this.please.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.012 seconds with 17 queries.