Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Intake Barstardisation....  (Read 6507 times)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
Air Intake Barstardisation....
« on: 10 September 2006, 16:28:30 »

Hi,

Thought I would post some progress up on the Air intake mods that I have tried today.

I thought rather than go out and spend 100s of £s on silliy gimicks, I would start off with what I have....

.....A 3 Litre Dual Ram air intake.

First off I cut the Airbox up...  :) What did I have to loose?

I'm running a K&N Panel Filter in there, so I have next to no restriction.
I litrally cut the bottom from it.  Looks really neat too.... I will gets some pics up as soon as I can.
Piped a direct cold air pipe up from the left of the fog lamp (cut a nice neat hole in the plastic trim thingy), straight to the modified Airbox.

I'm going to run like this for a bit, The beauty of this though is that the rest of the intake system remains in place....  :)

The results:

Firstly, the power...
....well not much improvment, there is a slight, increase, but nothing to write home about.
She seems to be smoother at lower rev's like around town.

Secondly, the sound....

Well, on Idle it's pretty much normal, and also normal driving it's pretty much the same.
BUT, and this is a HUGE Butt, about as huge as Fern britton's butt.

After 3500RPM, it growls, and I mean growls, it makes people look in amazment. it sounds like I have a 4 litre TVR Engine under the hood.
All this noise comes from under the hood, on the right hand side, you can feel it through the throttle pedal.... :D

So in conclusion, a well worth while hour or so with the saw, if for nothing else, the sound alone is awsome and worth it.
I think I may have 1-2BHP more, but like I say nothing special.

Any Questions feel free to ask.

Cheers.

Matt.

My Disclaimer:
If you decide to cut your Airbox up, don't blame me it you bugger your car up...it's not my fault.
« Last Edit: 10 September 2006, 16:58:54 by Omega-MV6 »
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

STMO123

Re: Air Intake Barstardisation....
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2006, 16:36:54 »

Piccies AND sound recording please ;D

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2006, 16:44:18 »

I will get some tomorrow, as I don't have a Digicam.... but work do... :D

Cheers

Matt

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2006, 19:05:23 »

Did mine a few weeks ago:-

Little bit more subtle than you as ive swiss cheesed the bottom of the air box with 6 65mm dia holes, and filled one of those with the air intake and im using a Courtenay sport air filter

The sound is good  :)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2006, 19:12:29 »

That looks good... Mine is just a hole..  :)

I was thinking of getting rid of those grill thingies; and replacing with that mesh stuff... BTW, like your Grill, where did that come from???

Cheers.

Matt

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 September 2006, 19:25:38 »

Grill was from e-bay, from this bloke:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-OMEGA-B-Sport-Grill-NEW_W0QQitemZ330025093775QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43118QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I've got a polished red or polished stainless steel cap to put on the end of the intake, not sure if i want to bring that much attention to it  :)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 September 2006, 19:35:30 »

Thats cool, I might have to get on of those grills.

Where did you get the polished silver intake cover from?

Cheers.

Matt

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 September 2006, 19:52:50 »

Where did you get the polished silver intake cover from?

Cheers.

Matt

Off a dodgey bloke from e-bay, had to get into a paypal dispute to get it!!

Think Ripspeed at Hellfarts or Motorworld do them  :)

Martin_1962

« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2006, 09:47:35 »

Sorry to spoil things but that hole is too low, the standard intake is behind grill above the bumper.

This one is too low and seeing how unpredictable the British weather is, you have a serious risk of getting that intake under water and hydraulicing the engine.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2006, 10:25:14 »

To Quote Father Tedd

"Yeah, well..... :-/

.... just break off.... ;)"

In all seriousness though, you have a point, which is why the existing intake, just behind the grill is still in place. (not for the reason you stated however)
Not all of the air comes from that new lower tube, infact I would say the engine does not use that tube to breath very much at all.
The existing intake is fairly large, bigger than the one I have created in the front of the car, although a LOT small than the new one in the Airbox. This will lead to lower pressure in the airbox, and so should not so readily suck up crap, but does allow the air that comes in from the front normal intake to be mixed with the lower pressure colder air from that hole.

We are not that silly.. ;)

Cheers.

Matt

rpont

• Intermediate Member
  • Tadcaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2006, 11:33:25 »

In all seriousness though, you have a point, which is why the existing intake, just behind the grill is still in place.
Just behind the grill, so in front of the radiator. So why is the new intake getting cooler air???

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2006, 11:58:49 »

Good point.

I think (Maybe) that it could be to do with the actual SIZE of the intake.

It's quite hard to explain without pictures, but the hole in the bottom of the airbox is now huge.
I guess thats what is making the roar when she takes off.
The feed from the font of the car goes from the front of that hole in an "Airflow Friendly" manner to the big hol in the airbox.

The old intake is still in place, but does not have a direct forward facing inlet and instead relies on the suction of the engine to get air.
Also the path the air takes is not exactly condusive to the RAM effect, it branches down and to the left. This loses means the air looses speed, and then because it's traveling slower, has more time to warm up in the black pipework. The new intake pipe is Silver, as is cold even though the engine is warm. Infact the Airbox is and some of the pipework is even cold after a good run...  :) 8-)

Cheers.

Matt.  

After Thought:
Could I insulate the rame pipes? This would help stop the heat of the Rad getting to them, and warming the air inside even more. Thinking of geting some 'zaust wrap or the special silver foil stuff. :-?
« Last Edit: 11 September 2006, 12:06:30 by Omega-MV6 »

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2006, 12:46:32 »

Sorry to spoil things but that hole is too low, the standard intake is behind grill above the bumper.

This one is too low and seeing how unpredictable the British weather is, you have a serious risk of getting that intake under water and hydraulicing the engine.

Hence the reason why the air feed goes down then up, creating a 'trap', also the air box has 5 other holes in the bottom, so anything that does fly up it can quite easily drop out, the extra holes reduce air pressure and are therefore unlikely to force anything through the filter.

Also the feed is on the drivers side, less likely to hit any deep puddles there but if the water level comes over the fog lights then ill need water wings not a car  :)

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2006, 15:56:48 »

The "Ram air" effect will be non-existant. They use it on superbikes, but even then with a direct feed from the front of the bike (with the appropriate shape intake) leading to a fully-enclosed air box to retain the pressure, it's only worth a few BHP at high speeds (well over 100 MPH). So on an Omega with a much bigger engine, simple tubing to the grille, and holes in the airbox, it's not going to have any effect.

As for the cooler air, you might first want to do something about the hot water supply to the throttle bodies. Not much point striving for cool air only to heat it back up again ;). Again, I think any effect will be marginal; the existing intake supply takes cool (ambient temperature) air before it reaches the radiator.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2006, 16:12:45 »

As for the cooler air, you might first want to do something about the hot water supply to the throttle bodies.

Sorry to sound Stupid, but how?
Can I just unplug the pipe and plug it into an external drain tank?

The "Ram air" effect will be non-existant. They use it on superbikes, but even then with a direct feed from the front of the bike (with the appropriate shape intake) leading to a fully-enclosed air box to retain the pressure, it's only worth a few BHP at high speeds (well over 100 MPH). So on an Omega with a much bigger engine, simple tubing to the grille, and holes in the airbox, it's not going to have any effect.

So should I vent the wing, (I have a rather cool looking vent handy) and have a cold air feed of only a few MM, rarther than a foot or so?

Still after shielding the rest of the intake system though as that still gets rather warm.

Cheers

Matt
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 18 queries.