Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Air Intake Barstardisation....  (Read 6496 times)

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
Re: Air Intake Barstardisation....
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2006, 16:15:02 »

To Quote Father Tedd

"Yeah, well..... :-/

.... just break off.... ;)"

Cheers.

Matt

;D ;D ;D ;D looks good - i was after that gril but if he is dodgy, think i will keep looking!!
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2006, 16:34:25 »

You can just about see the modded upper and lower grill, although I had just driven 70 miles and the Cold Intake pipe seems to be missing from the lower intake.... hhhmmm, probably on the M5 somewhere... :-[
« Last Edit: 12 September 2006, 17:23:15 by Omega-MV6 »
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2006, 16:38:34 »

Thats a nice looking omega 8-)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2006, 17:03:11 »

Thanks very much..  8-)

Cheers.

Matt

Phil

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2006, 17:17:36 »

i was after that gril but if he is dodgy, think i will keep looking!!

The bloke selling the grill is fine, its the bloke selling the polished end to the intake who was a nightmare  :)

The same grill thats £40 ish on ebay can be bought from Regal for £110 if your feeling realy flushed!!!!

Paul M

• Omega Knight
  • Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2006, 18:39:33 »

As for the cooler air, you might first want to do something about the hot water supply to the throttle bodies.

Sorry to sound Stupid, but how?
Can I just unplug the pipe and plug it into an external drain tank?

To be honest I don't know why it's there; none of my other cars have heated the inlet. It's probably best to find out why it's done before disconnecting it though. If you do decide to do so, just get some copper pipe the right size for the hoses, and link the two hoses (one at each side of the throttle bodies) thereby bypassing the flow through the TB without disrupting anything else. TBH I still think the effect will be very marginal.

The "Ram air" effect will be non-existant. They use it on superbikes, but even then with a direct feed from the front of the bike (with the appropriate shape intake) leading to a fully-enclosed air box to retain the pressure, it's only worth a few BHP at high speeds (well over 100 MPH). So on an Omega with a much bigger engine, simple tubing to the grille, and holes in the airbox, it's not going to have any effect.

So should I vent the wing, (I have a rather cool looking vent handy) and have a cold air feed of only a few MM, rarther than a foot or so?

Still after shielding the rest of the intake system though as that still gets rather warm.

Cheers

Matt

I don't think the length of the tube is the issue, just that there's very little pressure generated by "ram air" except at high speeds, and even then you have to have a properly designed inlet to maximise the small benefit. A 3.0 engine consumes huge amounts of air, it's a very large pump basically so simply putting a small amount of pressure on the intake air isn't going to make much difference at all, maybe a very small reduction in pumping losses.

If you look at the speed a turbocharger has to spin to produce enough airflow for a reasonable power increase (even the low pressure turbos like the one used in the 150 BHP 1.8T VAG engine), it starts to make sense why ram air is ineffective in almost all cars. Some of the Ferraris use it (550 Maranello for one IIRC) but they have a specially shaped scoop on the bonnet, and again specially designed inlet setup, to maximise the effect. Even then it's still marginally effective and only at high speeds.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 September 2006, 21:12:45 »

As for the cooler air, you might first want to do something about the hot water supply to the throttle bodies.

Sorry to sound Stupid, but how?
Can I just unplug the pipe and plug it into an external drain tank?

To be honest I don't know why it's there; none of my other cars have heated the inlet. It's probably best to find out why it's done before disconnecting it though. If you do decide to do so, just get some copper pipe the right size for the hoses, and link the two hoses (one at each side of the throttle bodies) thereby bypassing the flow through the TB without disrupting anything else. TBH I still think the effect will be very marginal.

The "Ram air" effect will be non-existant. They use it on superbikes, but even then with a direct feed from the front of the bike (with the appropriate shape intake) leading to a fully-enclosed air box to retain the pressure, it's only worth a few BHP at high speeds (well over 100 MPH). So on an Omega with a much bigger engine, simple tubing to the grille, and holes in the airbox, it's not going to have any effect.

So should I vent the wing, (I have a rather cool looking vent handy) and have a cold air feed of only a few MM, rarther than a foot or so?

Still after shielding the rest of the intake system though as that still gets rather warm.

Cheers

Matt

I don't think the length of the tube is the issue, just that there's very little pressure generated by "ram air" except at high speeds, and even then you have to have a properly designed inlet to maximise the small benefit. A 3.0 engine consumes huge amounts of air, it's a very large pump basically so simply putting a small amount of pressure on the intake air isn't going to make much difference at all, maybe a very small reduction in pumping losses.

If you look at the speed a turbocharger has to spin to produce enough airflow for a reasonable power increase (even the low pressure turbos like the one used in the 150 BHP 1.8T VAG engine), it starts to make sense why ram air is ineffective in almost all cars. Some of the Ferraris use it (550 Maranello for one IIRC) but they have a specially shaped scoop on the bonnet, and again specially designed inlet setup, to maximise the effect. Even then it's still marginally effective and only at high speeds.

Thanks, I'll take a look at bypassing the heated TB.

I'm always open to ideas and thoughts. and the ones you have raised are valid.
I'll see if I can improve on my original design, as I have now also lost the cool air pipe so good point to redsign it a bit.

Cheers.

Matt

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 September 2006, 09:48:18 »

"Thanks, I'll take a look at bypassing the heated TB. "

This is OK for summer use but in Autumn / winter / spring you will get ice forming on the edge of the butterfly which will affect throttle response and really upset the idle control loop as air will leak past the butterfly.

Even a small air leak will cause an engine to go to max rpm when not loaded, very embarrasing at junctions :-[ and not very nice for the engine.
Incidentally, this problem is even worse if you use throttle slides...the ice forms on the slide surface and they stick open...very exciting if said slides are fitted to a motorcycle and you are in 'half-asleep cruise to work' mode. Very nearly a brown trouser moment.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 September 2006, 12:12:28 »

D'oh, don't need the max revs thing...looks like it will have to stay as it is then.

Well what the hell I have my big noise and 1-2BHP, so happy with that...

Oh BTW, my Spoiler arrived yesterday, off on Holiday though now so my project will have to wait for 2 weeks.
Started stripping the car out already though... here it is:

It's going on now, as the graphics need to be be appiled over it.

There is also a fully adjustable front Spoiler which I'm saving up for...

Anyone know if you can get lightweight/Carbon Boot and Bonnet?

Cheers.

Matt

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 September 2006, 08:58:03 »

Spoiler looks nice mate. Any ideas hoiw efficient it is?

How much was it and where did you get it from?

evanh

• N.Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 September 2006, 12:59:22 »

sorry but that spoiler looks awfull, totally ruins the car looks like you have driven through Halfords and it has stuck on the car .

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 September 2006, 13:09:38 »

Its different I cant say I have seen an omega with one of these on, are you going to be updating your thread in the gallery Omega-mv6 :)

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 October 2006, 11:12:07 »

Hi Guys,

Sorry been on Hols for 2 weeks.

I got it from EBAY.
It cost around 65 Quid, is fully adjusable, and is a pain in the butt to mount.

The pics there show the mounts close together,
Infact I have mounted them on the furthest out mount points.

I does look much nicer now.

As for how well it works.
Well the spare needs to be removed.
I say this because it gets a little nerve racking when turning right at high speeds with the wing and the spare wheel.
For an unloaded pretty standard Spec omega I would say the optimum level for the rear spolier is the second "notch" from the bottom on the rear wing, and the main wing down by 10 Degrees.
I will get pics as soon as I can.

Sideways

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 October 2006, 11:16:16 »

Sounds good.

Pity you dont have a wind tunnell handy.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 October 2006, 12:34:26 »

There is a joke there somewhere about the wife. ;)
I'm off to Castle Coombe soon, so will give some better feed back then.

The engine is my next major concern.
I want to get the cambelt changed and plugs and dis pack done, before i hit the track.

I think my next MOD might be an E-RAM.
Looks quite good- there is a "super" version, this would be cool, as there could be 1 for each ram pipe.
Would make a very intereasting experiment.

I'll order one in the next week or so, and post up the results.

Cheers.

Matt
« Last Edit: 02 October 2006, 12:37:25 by Omega-MV6 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.