Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: CV 19 vaccination  (Read 38869 times)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
Re: CV 19 vaccination
« Reply #225 on: 29 December 2020, 01:15:57 »

Because, as I pointed out last week, every EU country is free to make it's own decisions on health matters. Hungary is not bound by the decisions of the EMA - unless it chooses to be. Any EU country can chose to approve (or not) any drug they like. They could decide that approval from the UK MHRA, or the US FDA, or whatever the Russian equivalent is, is Ok for them.

Whether they could make their own decisions or whether they would are different issues.  :P

I don't believe that if Britain was still in the EU for example we would have taken the actions we have and would have slavishly waited for the EMA to authorise the vaccine.  The fact that we didn't wait and cracked on after the MRHA's approval show a shift in culture in Whitehall.  This is a good sign for the future.  :y

I don't know whether Hungary's actions have any significance in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that they were not prepared to sit around waiting for the EU to get it's act together is interesting nontheless.  I am sure that Hungary's actions will not go down well in the Palace of Berlaymont!  :)

Any country can setup it's own equivalent to the MHRA or EMA or whatever. MHRA was setup in 2003 whilst we were still in the EU. Brussels won't give a monkeys about the actions of Hungary since it's not in their jurisdiction, any more than the UK is/was.

I've no idea what the process is in other countries, but I'd be fairly sure no politician is going to stick their neck out far enough to authorise a drugs use without some evidence that the drug is 'safe' and basically 'does what it says on the tin'. The EMA provides that evidence to those that want to listen to it, but isn't the only regulatory body. There are loads of drugs that are approved for use in the USA (by the FDA) that haven't approved by the EMA or MHRA.

Yes the EMA is burocratic, slow and regimented in the way it goes about things. In most cases that doesn't matter - drugs have historically taken many years to be developed, tested and approved so a few months delay is neither here nor there. CV19 has thrown a spanner in the works, but a 'race' to be first to approve something is not in anyone interest - other than politicians bragging about it. I hope the MHRA(and FDA and EMA) exerts its independence from Govt and does it's job properly. That will take as long as it takes. The worry is that pressure from Govt is going to result in something being approved when (perhaps) it shouldn't be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/business/coronavirus-vaccine-astrazeneca-oxford.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/manufacturing-error-clouds-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-study-results/

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: 29 December 2020, 02:54:58 »

Because, as I pointed out last week, every EU country is free to make it's own decisions on health matters. Hungary is not bound by the decisions of the EMA - unless it chooses to be. Any EU country can chose to approve (or not) any drug they like. They could decide that approval from the UK MHRA, or the US FDA, or whatever the Russian equivalent is, is Ok for them.

Whether they could make their own decisions or whether they would are different issues.  :P

I don't believe that if Britain was still in the EU for example we would have taken the actions we have and would have slavishly waited for the EMA to authorise the vaccine.  The fact that we didn't wait and cracked on after the MRHA's approval show a shift in culture in Whitehall.  This is a good sign for the future.  :y

I don't know whether Hungary's actions have any significance in the grand scheme of things, but the fact that they were not prepared to sit around waiting for the EU to get it's act together is interesting nontheless.  I am sure that Hungary's actions will not go down well in the Palace of Berlaymont!  :)

Any country can setup it's own equivalent to the MHRA or EMA or whatever. MHRA was setup in 2003 whilst we were still in the EU. Brussels won't give a monkeys about the actions of Hungary since it's not in their jurisdiction, any more than the UK is/was.

I've no idea what the process is in other countries, but I'd be fairly sure no politician is going to stick their neck out far enough to authorise a drugs use without some evidence that the drug is 'safe' and basically 'does what it says on the tin'. The EMA provides that evidence to those that want to listen to it, but isn't the only regulatory body. There are loads of drugs that are approved for use in the USA (by the FDA) that haven't approved by the EMA or MHRA.

Yes the EMA is burocratic, slow and regimented in the way it goes about things. In most cases that doesn't matter - drugs have historically taken many years to be developed, tested and approved so a few months delay is neither here nor there. CV19 has thrown a spanner in the works, but a 'race' to be first to approve something is not in anyone interest - other than politicians bragging about it. I hope the MHRA(and FDA and EMA) exerts its independence from Govt and does it's job properly. That will take as long as it takes. The worry is that pressure from Govt is going to result in something being approved when (perhaps) it shouldn't be.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/business/coronavirus-vaccine-astrazeneca-oxford.html
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/26/manufacturing-error-clouds-oxfords-covid-19-vaccine-study-results/

I'm not convinced about that as it will go against the 'unity' ethos of the EU and no other country has done it.  We wouldn't have done it if we were still a member at the end of the day.  ;)

Legally though you are right.  If Hungary's equivalent of the EMA/FDA/MHRA has approved Sputnik V for emergency use then there's nothing the EU can do, apart from making disapproving noises!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: 29 December 2020, 17:50:18 »

53,135 new cases confirmed with a test ,so double that at least for a truer figure  :o
So .... hands, face .space and the lockdowns (which everyone must be following, because it's the law) are not working  :(
that's before they send all the kids back to school to spread it about  :-X

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: 29 December 2020, 17:55:51 »

It seems to be completely out of control now. They really need to get a wriggle on with the vaccination programme.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: 29 December 2020, 18:05:06 »

I think they need some TV and social media adds showing real people young and old dying and the hospitals rammed perhaps .

vaccine ,even if it works will take months yet ,if not years

people who have had a vaccine may well still spread the virus to others ,it's an unknown

along with the long term effects of the virus and the vaccine, i heard 1 in 5 get "long covid" symptoms

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 29 December 2020, 18:23:49 »

God knows when we will get back to "normal".  ???
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: 29 December 2020, 18:44:56 »

You were never normal.
Diesel till I die

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 29 December 2020, 19:05:59 »

How the f*** would you know ?  ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: 29 December 2020, 19:42:07 »

Quite. Who knows what 2021 holds?. Self contained space helmet with own filtration system. QR codes  ( only those vaccinated) for international travel.? Limits on travel in own country?

In and out of lockdown? Yet more new variants.?  Problems for some vaccinated? Push to get more vaccinated? More companies going bust. Some making lots of money,

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: 30 December 2020, 11:46:09 »

If that bothers you so, cancel your Amazon subscription and stop buying from them :-X
Onanists always think outside the box.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: 30 December 2020, 20:48:12 »

we need Amazon or other on-line supplier to move to Tier 4 by end of play today  :o
it's costing a fortune just for the upgrades  ;D

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: 30 December 2020, 22:17:42 »

Meanwhile it's been reported that the Italians have[rightly or wrongly]complained that Germany has taken more than its fair share of the available vaccine doses and while it was agreed that all EU countries would begin their vaccination programmes on the same day both Germany and Hungary jumped the gun and began a day earlier than the rest.The Germans efficient as ever have managed to vaccinate 8 people with a dose 5 times higher than that which is recommended.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: 30 December 2020, 22:43:54 »

Both youngest daughter and son-in-law appear to have had pretty mild infections and seem to be recovering well.Obviously only time will tell as far as long term effects are concerned.

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: 31 December 2020, 01:58:46 »

The Oxford vaccine was approved for clinical use 30 Dec.  :y
They start rolling it out Monday the 4th, it`s easy to produce & transport @ fridge temps

Things aren`t good at the moment with increasing spread of the virus.

The Oxford vaccine can be produced in huge amounts all around the world
 Astrazeneca the company involved with the Oxford scientists say they have agreed not to make a profit during the pandemic, unlike Pfizer who must be making huge profits at the moment.

The Oxford team say that their recent trials indicate the new mutations won`t affect the vaccine. there`s also a strong response  in older adults

Would I have the jab ? yes please, but I won`t get it until much later in the year
Here`s one of the calculators

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk#vulnerable

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: 31 December 2020, 03:30:25 »

The virus isn't any more deadly (not that it ever was :-X), it's just mutated and become more spreadable...

No different to the flu mutating through a season.

Good news on the jab, but the virus shoukd not be an excuse to shut the world down indefinitely.
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 17 queries.