Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The new milk float...  (Read 6622 times)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: The new milk float...
« Reply #15 on: 12 March 2019, 15:20:37 »

It tops out at 25 mph and weighs 3.5t, so probably wouldn't want to commute in it.

Jeebus! is that all the lead in the batteries?

I was at your place of work on Saturday morning, (Norwegian back from the US). The airport is a pretty efficient place to travel to/from; its just in the wrong bloody place  :D
Surprisingly, or not, the battery is about 1,100kgs :o

How did you find Norwegian long haul?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 March 2019, 15:55:52 »

How did you find Norwegian long haul?

No worse than any other trans-Atlantic economy flight I've done and much better than United or Aer Lingus out of BHX. The trump card for Norwegian is the Dreamliners. The leg room, seat width and noise levels are far better than other carriers' older birds. We did the one up from basic tickets where you get fed and get hold luggage. The food was again, no worse than any other and better than some. They also serve alcohol with the meals, unlike the tight b@stards on United.

My only observation is that they depart a bit later than some other flights I've done. So we were absolutely ruined when we got there (about 1900 US time meaning at the hotel by 2200 earliest). But on the way back, taking off at 21.30 meant we got a full day in before going to the airport, and landing mid-morning meant no rush hour to deal with.   :)

On the whole, I'd thoroughly recommend them, especially when you look at their prices!  :y
« Last Edit: 12 March 2019, 15:57:27 by jimmy944 »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 March 2019, 18:30:27 »

Book ahead and you can get to LA and back for under £300 :o

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 March 2019, 18:59:42 »

If they're still operating by the time it come to travel that is...  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 March 2019, 20:04:48 »

If they're still operating by the time it come to travel that is...  :P  ;D
:-\ Grounding their 737 Max fleet two weeks before the summer schedule starts could prove dicey... That said, their Dreamliners seem to be behaving themselves at the moment...

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 March 2019, 20:13:16 »

So I stopped in at Corley services on the way home to test out the charging. I don't need the range but I figured I should make sure it all works before I pull into one with 10miles of range only to find the app doesn't work  ::)

Downloading, installing and setting up the app took 5 mins max. Then I just had to scan a QR code on the front of the charger and it struck up immediately.

I chose the slower of the two chargers so I'm not taking a quicker charge from someone who actually needs it. It would take 2hrs to fully charge - not acceptable as a break in a journey, but that's not how I plan to use the car.

So far I'm very impressed with the whole package.

STEMO

« Reply #21 on: 12 March 2019, 20:15:28 »

So I stopped in at Corley services on the way home to test out the charging. I don't need the range but I figured I should make sure it all works before I pull into one with 10miles of range only to find the app doesn't work  ::)

Downloading, installing and setting up the app took 5 mins max. Then I just had to scan a QR code on the front of the charger and it struck up immediately.

I chose the slower of the two chargers so I'm not taking a quicker charge from someone who actually needs it. It would take 2hrs to fully charge - not acceptable as a break in a journey, but that's not how I plan to use the car.

So VW pay for the electrickery used at the services? I'm assuming it's a VW app?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 March 2019, 20:31:32 »

So VW pay for the electrickery used at the services? I'm assuming it's a VW app?
or not...

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway

STEMO

« Reply #23 on: 12 March 2019, 20:45:55 »

or not...

https://www.ecotricity.co.uk/for-the-road/our-electric-highway
I see  :y Makes perfect sense, now I think about it.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 March 2019, 21:48:56 »

The car does come with its own app, but it controls the car's functions, reports on its state of charge etc. I find it really handy, even having had it for a very short time as otherwise I'd worry whether the car was charging properly.  ::)

As DG linked, the ecotricity app is what I installed, seems to work well. You can even report issues with the chargers through it.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 March 2019, 22:55:51 »

The car does come with its own app, but it controls the car's functions, reports on its state of charge etc. I find it really handy, even having had it for a very short time as otherwise I'd worry whether the car was charging properly.  ::)

As DG linked, the ecotricity app is what I installed, seems to work well. You can even report issues with the chargers through it.

mmm confused of wiltshire here ... :(

The ecotricity website link above specifically states "You’ll be able to charge your electric car for a maximum of 45 minutes using our Electric Highway charging stations."

You stated above "It would take 2hrs to fully charge"

Now, I may be just a simple boy from the local grammer school .. but that means you'll get less than 50% of the charge you need, and you were no where near empty .. so if getting empty and actually needing power ... you won't get very much at all !!

and you say it "works well"   :(   amd I missing something here ??  :-\ :-\ :-\

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13 March 2019, 07:31:05 »

You're more or less correct. Although due to the way that batteries charge, 45min on the slower machine would take you from about 10% to about 50% adding maybe 50 miles. But it would only charge you from 80% to around 90%.

The fast machine on the other hand would take you from 10% to 80% on that time. How many of each machine is at a services depends on the infrastructure.

The point is, that ecotricity don't want me to sit on a machine for 2hrs, they want me to charge and go so someone else can jump on. In a similar way I suppose to adding £10 of petrol at £1.50p/litre to get you home so you can fill up at sensible prices. It's about taking on a bit and then charging when you get to your destination.

For example, one 20minute stop would be enough to take me from home (Birmingham) to somewhere north of Carlisle.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 March 2019, 08:58:20 »

Looks very nice Jimmy, I hope you enjoy it!  I certainly enjoyed the Leaf I had a few years ago.  Strange that the new one has no steering wheel rake adjustment as the one I had did.  That said it is a minor niggle I had with the Ranger too, maybe there is something else going on which is making it unattractive for manufacturers to include it :-\

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 March 2019, 10:52:10 »

Are chargers always available or will you need to queue for hours to get one during busy periods?

Will the manufacture of new chargers keep pace with the number of new milk floats?

How will the national grid cope if we go 100% electric?

Is it exciting to drive? ::)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 March 2019, 11:02:34 »

Are chargers always available or will you need to queue for hours to get one during busy periods?

I read an article once where someone had worked out the rate of energy transfer supported by a large motorway service station during a busy period, and calculated the equivalent energy consumption in kW that the electrical supply would need to sustain if it were charging the equivalent number of EVs. It was quite a large number. A "not going to happen" number, in fact. ;D

Once we're all driving milk floats, we'll need to forget about mobility as we know it.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.