Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I know we shouldn't encourage it but...  (Read 1243 times)

hotel21

• Administrator
  • The Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
I know we shouldn't encourage it but...
« on: 17 February 2007, 23:24:57 »

I still get a laugh at some of the names of senders that crash and burn against my spamfilter.  Amidst all the American type names, always with a middle initial, some stand out more than most.  Most offer stocks and shares, some wonderfull medical products, some are god only knows what....  All get binned without opening but I do have the ability to see the senders name before they are consigned to the corporate room 101.....

Most recent for me is:-

Misanthropic J. Doorbells

Anyone any others?

B

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
Re: I know we shouldn't encourage it but...
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2007, 08:37:30 »

robert m grey told me it was my last chance to claim an unwanted large prize, and as i had been drawn out to be offered it to,  just give out a few details to send it to.........
i did reply while on a non traceable computor in a cafe with a non used e-mail address stating send the money to his local hospital donated by phiaphilis p wildeybeast.........
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2007, 09:59:56 »

i have a question....

well 2 in fact if you guys or the IT fraternty on here can assist  :-/

how can i stop the 40 or so nonsense emails i get every day unsloicited as my orange email spam filter is about as much use as a tin of spam.

And why do people do this...whats the point  :(
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

sir moanalot

• Omega Knight
  • fens
  • im like an expensive watch - i get wound up easily
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 February 2007, 13:52:45 »

hi, if it is from the same address then you can block the sender- i think the option is in the message rule toolbar. if not i know its a pain in the ass but change your e-mail address by changing one letter or number, that way these e-mails dont get to you and its easier for your friends/family to just change your address by one digit.
you will find that having an e-mail address for a period of time means that you will be more likely to gain some unsolicited mail -so change the address is best. i changed my recent address and not 1 unsolicited has come through.
yet another miserable day in rip off britain !!!

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2007, 19:03:39 »

Markie - I have a dual strategy:

1) always have 2 email addresses - one that you give out to friends & family, one for general use - use the latter for any web page that needs an email address. That stops most spam, other than when spammers just email addresses at random. For that ...

2 a program called "choicemail" - you can get it from here - sadly not free, $39.95 - about £19 - but this supports unlimited email accounts, there is a free version but it adds a message to the bottom of emails you send and only supports one email account.

Choicemail sits between the internet and your email program - when you send an email to someone it adds them to the "allowed" list, when you install it you can import your address book. If an email is received from an unknown person, it emails them a link to a web page which asks them to say who they are, why they are contacting you and type in a number from a picture on the screen. If they reply, you get notified and can then approve them - or not. The program shows a list of emails pending approval, you can check this and manually accept messages and/or the senders of them if you want to.

... it stops all my spam  :y

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2007, 22:00:37 »

Markie - I have a dual strategy:

1) always have 2 email addresses - one that you give out to friends & family, one for general use - use the latter for any web page that needs an email address. That stops most spam, other than when spammers just email addresses at random. For that ...

2 a program called "choicemail" - you can get it from here - sadly not free, $39.95 - about £19 - but this supports unlimited email accounts, there is a free version but it adds a message to the bottom of emails you send and only supports one email account.

Choicemail sits between the internet and your email program - when you send an email to someone it adds them to the "allowed" list, when you install it you can import your address book. If an email is received from an unknown person, it emails them a link to a web page which asks them to say who they are, why they are contacting you and type in a number from a picture on the screen. If they reply, you get notified and can then approve them - or not. The program shows a list of emails pending approval, you can check this and manually accept messages and/or the senders of them if you want to.

... it stops all my spam  :y

Sounds like a plan  :y thanks for the info  :)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2007, 22:56:35 »

no probs ... there are some people who on point of principle won't "jump through the hoop" that filling out the form presents, but at the end of the day if you check the list of senders awaiting approval you can see them there ... or let them decide if they want to fill out the form ... spammers generally don't  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.