Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Locking wheel nuts  (Read 3716 times)

Taxi_Driver

Re: Locking wheel nuts
« Reply #15 on: 16 March 2007, 04:32:14 »

I took mine off, as the Vauxhall ones are pretty naff anyway.

The later ones have spinners on to stop the socket trick, so check first...

You carnt get much later than an 03.....and mine dont have spinners on them  :'(

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 March 2007, 10:44:04 »

I took mine off, as the Vauxhall ones are pretty naff anyway.

The later ones have spinners on to stop the socket trick, so check first...

You carnt get much later than an 03.....and mine dont have spinners on them  :'(
I think that should be "later lock nuts" and not later cars!  ::) I bought a set of lock nuts from Vx a couple of years back and they have a spinner on them. They are the of the 'cake cutter' design.

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2007, 11:00:04 »

Try these Dave found at Halfords

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogI d_10151_productId_196491_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_71555_crumb_33958-31562-71551_parentcategoryrn_71555

or you could try the old socket trick  

They're the ones I was on about. I tried the socket trick. Worked on one, but mine had the spinners so the stiffer ones wouldn't come loose. These gizmos dig in and crush the spinner onto the nut and allow it to turn.

Another way (if getting desperate) is to tack weld a bolt onto the wheel nut and just use a standard socket.

I'd also agree with the sentiment about not using Vx nuts to replace the removed ones. I reckon that using an air gun to put the nuts back on is probably more secure than using lockers! [smiley=smiley.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2007, 12:18:11 »

I reckon that using an air gun to put the nuts back on is probably more secure than using lockers! [smiley=smiley.gif]
I reckon that's statement that could return to bite you on the bum on a cold wet night standing at the side of the motorway with a bent wheel brace in your hand!  ::)  ;D  ;D

Ghosts in my machine

• Derby
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 March 2007, 15:29:33 »

You're probably right [smiley=sad.gif], but having a wheel nut key with a bent prong (thanks to a tyre fitter monkey) has the same effect.

The smart arse answer is get 'em really tight, but carry a section of scaftholding pipe to increase the force on the tyre iron. Handy also for road rage! [smiley=grin.gif]
Dyslexic dwarves.... there not big and they're not clever!

sounds2k

• Omega Knight
  • Queenborough, Kent
    • Saabs and a Jag XFR
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 March 2007, 15:47:22 »

just to be sure, don't use copper grease when refitting the bolts and doing them up F.T. - leave for a couple of months and they should seize nicely!

Happened on an old company car (Golf GTI) a few years ago, I couldn't shift 'em - the AA man couldn't either, using a 1m extension on the wheel brace, kwik fit split an (undersized) socket trying, eventually it got towed to VW who removed the hub ... (!!!)

Admittedly though that was on one of the standard bolts and not the locking one which would most likely have been destroyed in the process ...
« Last Edit: 16 March 2007, 15:48:04 by sounds2k »

daveb

• gloucester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 March 2007, 17:21:48 »

Hi guys,

Spent two hours this afternoon with a bloody great hammer, some smaller sockets to bash over the locking wheel nuts and all I managed to do was remove plenty of lacquer from around the nut hole (ooer, sounds a bit rude!).

The locking nuts do have the rotating sleeve, but I managed to chisel off this ring dead easily with a screwdriver!! However, I just couldn't get any of my sockets to bash over the nut and grip on. I was worried about doing damage to the wheel, or knowing my luck, flattening my fingers I was hitting it so hard!

Looks like I will be trying the halfords option suggested by Elite Pete.

Thanks again for all the tips.

I will let you know how things go!

Cheers,

Dave.

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 March 2007, 17:27:09 »

Had a Mk1 Granada once, had a wheel NUT seize on the stud, stud's come through the drive shaft / hub, they are sweat fit / splined, drum on top then wheel.. (Flat Steel Wheel- fortunately)  Had to grind the nut flat to the wheel then drill the existing nut away, leaving a flush stud.  Drum off and replace 1 stud, re-sweated it in, what a sh1te of a job....  I made sure the remaining 19 studs/nuts never, ever never, never, never, ever, never would give me this problem again !!!!  

What do we rekon then chaps? Do we use grease / copper slip on our studs / nuts or not...  What we say?  

DC

I might just run a poll!!
« Last Edit: 16 March 2007, 17:28:01 by dave_c »
Do it right, do it once................

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 March 2007, 18:14:22 »

What do we rekon then chaps? Do we use grease / copper slip on our studs / nuts or not...  What we say?  

DC

I always use copper slip on my nuts!  ;)  ;D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16 March 2007, 18:21:32 »

Hi guys,

Spent two hours this afternoon with a bloody great hammer, some smaller sockets to bash over the locking wheel nuts and all I managed to do was remove plenty of lacquer from around the nut hole (ooer, sounds a bit rude!).

The locking nuts do have the rotating sleeve, but I managed to chisel off this ring dead easily with a screwdriver!! However, I just couldn't get any of my sockets to bash over the nut and grip on. I was worried about doing damage to the wheel, or knowing my luck, flattening my fingers I was hitting it so hard!

Looks like I will be trying the halfords option suggested by Elite Pete.

Thanks again for all the tips.

I will let you know how things go!

Cheers,

Dave.

You could do with one of these
I would think they'd work better with a 'windy gun'

STMO123

« Reply #25 on: 16 March 2007, 18:30:36 »

DC

:-X

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 March 2007, 19:20:06 »

I always said they were a bit strange over Bury way. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

ricardo1500

• Wolverhampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 March 2007, 20:01:06 »

Dave
If they are VX ones then the socket you need is 13/16" once you have removed the spinney thingy. Importantly you need to grind the chamfer of the end of the socket,  this means that the "teeth" that normally grip a nut will start to bite onto the locking nut as soon as it starts to hammer on.  This gave me enough of a purchase to remove one that needed a scaffold tube as an extension to my ratchet before it gave in!!!!. Dont you just love previous owners!
  Best of luck mate.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 16 March 2007, 20:09:46 »

I always said they were a bit strange over Bury way. ;D
You'll be OK - I won't offer to grease your's!  ::)  :y
« Last Edit: 16 March 2007, 20:10:27 by Andy_B »

daveb

• gloucester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 16 March 2007, 21:09:31 »

Dave
If they are VX ones then the socket you need is 13/16" once you have removed the spinney thingy. Importantly you need to grind the chamfer of the end of the socket,  this means that the "teeth" that normally grip a nut will start to bite onto the locking nut as soon as it starts to hammer on.  This gave me enough of a purchase to remove one that needed a scaffold tube as an extension to my ratchet before it gave in!!!!. Dont you just love previous owners!
  Best of luck mate.

Hi Ricardo,

Yes thery are VX ones. and as many others have already said. I will not be replacing them with VX ones. I have got some from a motor factor for £20. I will be getting one of the locking nut removal sockets with a reverse thread from Halfords when they get some more into stock on Tuesday - then I'll have another go. What a sod!

Dave.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.