Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Author Topic: Dead Person  (Read 384032 times)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Dead Person
« Reply #1695 on: 08 July 2021, 14:47:26 »

I thought Jackie Stewart a great driver of his time.

However, his 'nanny knows best' attitude to safety left me cold.

They should all drive in short shirt sleeves like Fangio and Moss. This would sort the men from the boys..... ;D

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: 08 July 2021, 15:29:52 »

He saw 2 or 3 of his friends die every season. He didnt start his 100th and last GP because his young team mate and friend Cevert was killed in practice. Something had to be done. It couldnt carry on like that.
It could be argued that things have gone too far in the other direction now, but you and I dont have to drive the cars, so to me it should be up to the drivers.
No denying that it was a great thing to see Grosjean walk away from his crash last year. Im old enough to remember seeing accidents like that where you knew the driver was probably dead before the medics even got to the scene.
Drivers of old had come through WW2 and therefore had a very different attitude to levels of risk that everyone in the 21st century does.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: 08 July 2021, 16:37:51 »

He saw 2 or 3 of his friends die every season. He didnt start his 100th and last GP because his young team mate and friend Cevert was killed in practice. Something had to be done. It couldnt carry on like that.
It could be argued that things have gone too far in the other direction now, but you and I dont have to drive the cars, so to me it should be up to the drivers.
No denying that it was a great thing to see Grosjean walk away from his crash last year. Im old enough to remember seeing accidents like that where you knew the driver was probably dead before the medics even got to the scene.
Drivers of old had come through WW2 and therefore had a very different attitude to levels of risk that everyone in the 21st century does.

Very true.

And it's not just F1 drivers but the population in general. Look at the construction workers who built the Empire State building compared with construction workers today.

Today H and S insist a hard hard must be worn to and from the portable 'chemical crapper'.. ;)

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: 08 July 2021, 17:01:01 »

They want me to wear a hard hat when skimming ceilings😵‍💫 my head is about six inches away from it😂😂😂 bloody crazy.
Laying a rubber road.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: 08 July 2021, 17:02:13 »

They want me to wear a hard hat when skimming ceilings😵‍💫 my head is about six inches away from it😂😂😂 bloody crazy.
And goggles for splashes, I hope.  ::)
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: 08 July 2021, 17:03:35 »

I used to do a bit of spreading. I was so messy that, when I got home, I could stand my jacket and trousers up in the corner.  ;D
Diesel till I die

Raeturbo

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales
    • Mv6 3.2 Mitsi Evo2. XJ8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: 08 July 2021, 17:55:08 »

It’s mad, what’s going to fall on me Ffs, and if you get it in your eye you’re not doing it correctly😄👍
Laying a rubber road.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: 08 July 2021, 18:22:21 »

It wasn't the risk of the driving that he started with, but the unforgivably poor design of things like barriers(like the ones at just the right height to decapitate a driver hitting them, or that would launch a car into the audience :o ) and the total lack of any medical facilities. Sorting those made little difference to the actual racing, but dramatically reduced the avoidable risks.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: 08 July 2021, 18:30:30 »

This is again a demonstration of just how bad people are at assessing risk. Which is done by multiplying the severity of any consequences by how likely it is to happen. That can make minor but very frequent occurrences much riskier than very severe but almost impossible ones. Which is the argument for basic, but correctly used  PPE; the hardhat is a hinderance without any improvement but wearing goggles when applying drippy, caustic materials above your head is sensible.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: 08 July 2021, 18:57:11 »

Sensible?

I don't do sensible. :)

Too late for me to start now.

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: 08 July 2021, 18:59:17 »

A character like James Hunt wouldn't get near a F1 car today , "sex pest , drunk " a modern F1 teams worst PR nightmare , those were the days  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: 08 July 2021, 19:09:55 »

A character like James Hunt wouldn't get near a F1 car today , "sex pest , drunk " a modern F1 teams worst PR nightmare , those were the days  :y

F1 drivers in 2021 seem robotic.

Perhaps F1 should bring back the grid girls. :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: 08 July 2021, 19:13:01 »

It wasn't the risk of the driving that he started with, but the unforgivably poor design of things like barriers(like the ones at just the right height to decapitate a driver hitting them, or that would launch a car into the audience :o ) and the total lack of any medical facilities. Sorting those made little difference to the actual racing, but dramatically reduced the avoidable risks.

All very true.  :y
Interestingly though, the only thing that stopped Grosjean being decapitated last year was the halo device, which is the most recent safety innovation.
The medical facilities in days of yore were beyond disgraceful. No excuse, even for the time.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: 08 July 2021, 19:17:27 »

Tbh, he was lucky to get near one in the first place. I know a driver who raced against him (and always beat him), who said the media nickname of "Hunt the shunt" although accurate, was just slightly different to the nickname most of the drivers had for him.
He was lucky that Lord Hesketh enjoyed all the partying, and not taking anything too seriously,like Hunt, but presumably also saw some level of talent in him, that laid beneath the surface.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: 08 July 2021, 19:31:51 »

This is again a demonstration of just how bad people are at assessing risk. Which is done by multiplying the severity of any consequences by how likely it is to happen. That can make minor but very frequent occurrences much riskier than very severe but almost impossible ones. Which is the argument for basic, but correctly used  PPE; the hardhat is a hinderance without any improvement but wearing goggles when applying drippy, caustic materials above your head is sensible.
According to our latest Risk Assessment, we only do two dangerous things...

1, is catch covid.
2, is reversing without a banksman.

We aren't allowed to to 2 as it is prohibited by the airport byelaws.

The company doesn't have a policy if we catch covid, yet they apparently carry the same likelihood/consequence ratio.

No mention of the perils of inhaling MEK or using knives ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.