Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tyre change woes  (Read 1421 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
tyre change woes
« on: 04 August 2021, 22:42:06 »

i set off last friday to go to York as my daughter was coming up from hampshire for the weekend. i,d only got a few miles  & a n/s rear tyre blew. the rain was a heavy pour down & i was absolutely soak ed by the time i put a space saver wheel on. i decided to head off back home as i do have a matching spare wheel . wheel on showered & changed headed to York. forward to the Monday i took the tyre to be repaired & was informed it was wall damage & also the o/s tyre had cracks in the wall so i ordered two michelin supremacy, to be put on the next day. what i hadnt realised when i  set off to go to York i must have left the locking nut key on the nut which came off as i drove.  the tyre depot wouldnt attempt to change advising to buy a key. rang the dealers & a new key would take 10days. so i ordered it & was told the cost would be £110. yesterday evening i decided to have a look for the original locking key & glad to say somebody did see it & put it on a gate post about 1/2 mile from where i live. got my tyres put on today.    :y :y

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Re: tyre change woes
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2021, 22:49:10 »

Crikey what a palaver. Glad it turned out OK in the end.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 August 2021, 22:54:14 »

That was lucky  :o

On a nearly new car, that's almost certainly caused by a cheap bodgit forecourt wheel refurb :-\

Had three out of four tyres on my last Insignia fail within a month of purchase... All sidewall failures.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 August 2021, 23:19:02 »

That was lucky  :o

On a nearly new car, that's almost certainly caused by a cheap bodgit forecourt wheel refurb :-\

Had three out of four tyres on my last Insignia fail within a month of purchase... All sidewall failures.

How so DG?  ???
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2021, 23:36:57 »

They force the tyre off the bead by hand just enough to repair the rim rather than using a machine and removing the tyre completely. It saves time, but stresses the sidewall.

The Insignia had 20"s on it, which didn't help, but they had failed from the inside out wirh no visible external damage.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2021, 09:35:44 »

.... i decided to have a look for the original locking key & glad to say somebody did see it & put it on a gate post about 1/2 mile from where i live. got my tyres put on today.    :y :y

That was very lucky! Get a lucky dip on the lottery this week ....  :y

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2021, 10:10:43 »

They force the tyre off the bead by hand just enough to repair the rim rather than using a machine and removing the tyre completely. It saves time, but stresses the sidewall.

The Insignia had 20"s on it, which didn't help, but they had failed from the inside out wirh no visible external damage.
That puzzles me - I would have thought that the tyre machine would need to exert the same amount of force.

I thought you were going to say that solvents in the tyre paint and wheel paint are to blame  :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2021, 10:23:23 »

That puzzles me - I would have thought that the tyre machine would need to exert the same amount of force.

I thought you were going to say that solvents in the tyre paint and wheel paint are to blame  :-\

Agreed.

And moving a low profile bead by hand? :o :o

If I had to paint wheels with the tyre still fitted I would break the front bead, mask the tyre with a cardboard ring and add a few spacers to move the tyre a few mm back  from the rim. That allows you to get paint on the edge of the rim so it looks like you painted the whole wheel.

I would only do that to wheels that are a bit scruffy, or are black.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2021, 10:30:15 »

Agreed.

And moving a low profile bead by hand? :o :o

If I had to paint wheels with the tyre still fitted I would break the front bead, mask the tyre with a cardboard ring and add a few spacers to move the tyre a few mm back  from the rim. That allows you to get paint on the edge of the rim so it looks like you painted the whole wheel.

I would only do that to wheels that are a bit scruffy, or are black.
I forget what colour my wheels are supposed to be. Suppose I could clean some of the muck of and look  :-\
Diesel till I die
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.