Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Petrol prices  (Read 3728 times)

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
Re: Petrol prices
« Reply #30 on: 12 March 2010, 23:12:22 »

It is damn expensive, it was around £1.19 here, then dropped right down to the low .90's now it seems to have gone up again.
But what choice do we have? You put fuel in, or you don't drive. I went to pick up a Jag the other day, and came back on Trade Plates, pulled into a motorway petrol station and then parked up for 30 minutes or so. Truckers always seem to respect you on the road with T plates, so had a chat with them, and they were all saying how the fuel prices are now getting back up to the stage where it is critically affecting their business. I use a fair amount of fuel, but I feel empathy for the professional drivers who do plenty of miles and will really be feeling the pinch.
Likewise with a local private hire bus company, they have a fleet of midi-buses, 709d's mainly, and a nice new Vario with 6 or 7 Vito's. I know most of the drivers, good bunch of guys...but they've been saying that prices have had to rise, some usual customers can't afford it, so that means less work for the drivers and a knock on effect for the rest of the company. Diesel prices are the single biggest issue to their business, and its such a shame. Fuel is actually cheap, it's just the tax on it...but no matter what we say it'll still be there.
I've often thought, how hard would it be to say keep fuel prices at 90ppl for both derv and petrol by continually moving up and down the tax to ensure the prices stay the same? Fuel is always much cheaper than 90ppl, so if oil prices rise tax reduces, oil prices lower...tax increases. Can't imagine it would be that difficult, it would give stability to many companies and alow them to forecast the cost of fuel easily.

Colv

• Edinburgh
  • Elmer who? You're a childs cartoon character ffs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 March 2010, 00:29:19 »

yeah but who makes the money from it, The Government

and who decides how much money they make?
Guess who  :(

What are you meant to do eh  >:(

Squealey

• Donington, Lincs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 March 2010, 07:31:09 »

I think it wouldn't hurt so much if:

a) We didn't have to pay road tax on top of fuel tax. Have you seen how much they charge for a 2.0 petrol Passat these days, my brother has one and im sure he told me it was £400ish a year.

b) They spent more of the billions we pay in on the upkeep of our roads. Its got to the point that rather than fill holes in, the councils just write cheques for new wheels and tyres. I know 2 people who have had more than £1500 out of the local council in the last 2 weeks.

c) They stop ALL talk of road tolling, we pay our road toll's through our fuel tax. Im sure that were they to abolish, say, 95% of fuel tax and road tax then bring in toll charging, the country would be a lot more understanding, and then you could have different structures for different uses.

Just my thoughts, never gonna happen is it!!!

Andyb

• Lincoln
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 13 March 2010, 07:54:47 »

its all because the vat went back up in january
to 17.5%

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 March 2010, 11:03:56 »

just shot up 4 cents a litre here in Spain too. was 1.08.9 now 1 euro12.9 for unleaded.  I suspect the euro is having the same trouble as the pound against the dollar.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Del Boy

• Omega Queen
  • Kent, UK.
    • 2012 '62' BMW 730d MSport
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 March 2010, 13:24:12 »

Sainsbury's now 1.14.9 for both  :(
Drives: 2013 (13) BMW 530d M Sport Touring, 2011 '61' BMW 520d SE.

PhilRich

• Omega Queen
  • A bit further North of the Back of Beyond!
    • Mk 2 Volvo V70
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 13 March 2010, 21:30:35 »

There's no differential between DERV & Petrol here either, both at 113.9!!!! :(
If it ain't broke keep fixing it 'til it is!

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 13 March 2010, 21:35:54 »

£114.9 around cambs. but have to pay that. if i wanted to worry about mpg would have bought a micra and not a 3.0L that does 25mpg. yet to own a car that is economical or green. :y
Hoof'land storeman.

Kiksomass

• Northampton
  • Its all about the bass!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 March 2010, 00:27:32 »

As a tanker driver myself, it has been uncomfortable to read this. Let me assure you that I'm in the same as you, I get no discounts or managers specials. I deliver perhaps 160000 litres a day for one company. When you multiply several hundred drivers for this company, by that fuel quantity,then several more petrol companies and then worldwide it really is shocking to see how much the world is getting through. That's just fuel for cars, not to mention the oil itself,heating oil and other oil based products. Make no mistake,we will run out one day. As that day approaches, only ever expect the fuel price to go up.Gold will be worthless in comparison. Fuel duty is the killer blow not the cost of the go go juice.We all know who is responsible for that! With reference to fuel protests, you probably won't see that again with go slows in London or wherever. Anti-terrorism laws, massive crippling fines for hauliers and the threat of losing their operators licenses means no more protesting.The same applies to the refineries. Don't even think of going there with banners and fists clenched in the air. Plod are very hot on this. I've seen it happen. Again,government clampdowns. If we all stopped driving, the government knows we wouldn't last a week.Voting is the only voice you have now :(
Growing old is inevitable....growing up is OPTIONAL!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 March 2010, 00:34:38 »

I did 225 miles today - cost me less than £20 in diesel

Calculated it to be 57mpg.

Managable - although it was on a run...

p j morgan

• Omega Knight
  • nottingham
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 March 2010, 02:08:18 »

i have been in a club online its called www.petrolprices.com .they send me emails telling me where the cheapist fuel is anyone can join and it is free. all of the members have got a petition together to send to number ten downing street to try and get the government to take yhe two pence tax rise of fuel dont think we will get anywhere but its got to be worth a go .dont forget join petrolprices .com its free and you get some valueable info of them :y

Martin_1962

« Reply #41 on: 14 March 2010, 09:32:42 »

As a tanker driver myself, it has been uncomfortable to read this. Let me assure you that I'm in the same as you, I get no discounts or managers specials. I deliver perhaps 160000 litres a day for one company. When you multiply several hundred drivers for this company, by that fuel quantity,then several more petrol companies and then worldwide it really is shocking to see how much the world is getting through. That's just fuel for cars, not to mention the oil itself,heating oil and other oil based products. Make no mistake,we will run out one day. As that day approaches, only ever expect the fuel price to go up.Gold will be worthless in comparison. Fuel duty is the killer blow not the cost of the go go juice.We all know who is responsible for that! With reference to fuel protests, you probably won't see that again with go slows in London or wherever. Anti-terrorism laws, massive crippling fines for hauliers and the threat of losing their operators licenses means no more protesting.The same applies to the refineries. Don't even think of going there with banners and fists clenched in the air. Plod are very hot on this. I've seen it happen. Again,government clampdowns. If we all stopped driving, the government knows we wouldn't last a week.Voting is the only voice you have now :(

Part of newLabours crackdown on free speech.

Martin_1962

« Reply #42 on: 14 March 2010, 09:35:29 »

Fill up last weekend

Cheapest
Calor 57.9

Most expensive
BP (Ultimate) 127.9

Pity there are no Shells in Worcester.

If I use supermarket petrol my car runs like a dog, difficult to start, and is slower on petrol than gas. The decent petrols work very well.

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 March 2010, 14:52:06 »

I notice they are going right up. Just paid £117.9 for unleaded at my local garage. I don't know if that's right, or whether he's taking the piss because asda has been closed for a conversion to self-service. I think asda is about to open and I noticed that £111.9 was displayed on their brand new electronic board today. If that's correct, the local garage will no doubt be £113.9 tomorrow. Bastard.

You sure on these prices? :o :o :o

I can fill up from empty for £70........
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!

pedroMV6

• Omega Knight
  • York
  • Der Metzgermeister
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 March 2010, 14:55:36 »

So another government would reduce the taxes on fuel?

Like THAT's ever gonna happen - they're all robbing b'stards! :y
Loving the Vectra C 2.2 diesel!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 19 queries.