Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: How hard do you drive your car?  (Read 4689 times)

M4DMATT

• View Profile
How hard do you drive your car?
« on: 19 January 2010, 10:50:08 »

Being new to all this Omega stuff i was wondering. How hard do you drive your car? I find it really easy to just plod about in the omega but also find it very easy to give it a lot of stick! There seems to be no inbetween ;D
Do they like being driven hard? or is it best to plod around?

Cheers
V6 at about 4000rpm..........Probably the best noise in the world!

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
Re: How hard do you drive your car?
« Reply #1 on: 19 January 2010, 10:58:15 »

Being new to all this Omega stuff i was wondering. How hard do you drive your car? I find it really easy to just plod about in the omega but also find it very easy to give it a lot of stick! There seems to be no inbetween ;D
Do they like being driven hard? or is it best to plod around?

Cheers
Give it as much as you want matt,it will only come back for more,its a vx. :D :y
Machine polishing in west mids £40 also body repairs.pm me for more info.

waspy

« Reply #2 on: 19 January 2010, 11:39:32 »

I drive around nice & steady, keeping up with the flow. Not excelerating hard, just nice.
I do wind her up some times, just to give the cobwebs a blow out.

It doesn't do them good to thrash them, in the same token it doesn't do them good to drive like grandad.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 11:40:09 by waspy »

mantahatch

« Reply #3 on: 19 January 2010, 11:42:06 »

I would say I do 99% of plodding. That said it does put a big smile on my face when I find that quiet road  :y

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2010, 11:51:13 »

My Elite get driven quite slowly considering what it is capable of.  Have tried it in sports with TC to see how it performs.

When it is used I generally stick to the limits, dont use kickdown and have actually been sworn and flashed (with headlights) by the older generation for driving too slow, and even pulled by plod for driving at 30 in a 30 limit (Cheeky sod thought I was up to something (I cant work them out at times)  :-/

If I wanted to drive a car har these days I would buy a Manual MV6 or something spoty just to give it the beans when I was in the mood.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

barclay03

• Intermediate Member
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 January 2010, 12:10:35 »

The omega gets driven pretty calmly tbh... ust cruise it about, i think i barely go over 2500rpm unless im nipping through lights or gettin out the way of something :lol: I used to drive it harder, though since lowering it and still having bushes to replace etc i take it easy til i learn the car again... i will occassionally give someone a showing up comming off the lights etc, but generally it just gets cruised

Most of my other cars get driven the way they should though!... leon cupra R gets some stick as its always wants it, also have a wee polo runaround which handles great and so i use it that way... although, my '72 beetle has to choice but to cruise along, it doesnt go fast haha

Brick Tamland

• Intermediate Member
  • Dublin
  • Good one!
    • '98 2.5 Manual
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 January 2010, 13:18:41 »

I tend to drive around like the Duke boys  :P

Probably because I live in the "crapy jap hatchback with noisey exhaust" capital of the world  ::)
Saving for one! All donations welcome, ask for details.

sparkyw666.

• Intermediate Member
  • aberdeen uk
  • aka mark w
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 January 2010, 15:49:28 »

i drove mines like its been stolen when i first got it but you soon get fed up  passing  everything but a petrol station . So now i just leave my mad moments until you get some chav in there saxos trieing there luck :y
v6 cam locking kit  member:y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
  • Constantly Bullied by a certain Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 January 2010, 16:15:51 »

Gets driven gently or hard, depending on my mood, but never thrashed until warm. Certainly don't spare the horses though ::) ::)
Whatever it is... I didn't do it

albitz

« Reply #9 on: 19 January 2010, 16:30:42 »

When I was younger and petrol was a lot cheaper (it was about 50p a GALLON when I first hit the roads) I used to see it as some sort of duty to thrash any car (or bike) to within an inch of its life.Im older/wiser/calmer now and wouldnt bother a lot of the time even if I could afford an endless supply of petrol. Probably why I just bought a 1.8 Merc. ::)
« Last Edit: 19 January 2010, 16:32:21 by albitz »

R.C. ™

• Intermediate Member
  • Surrey . England
  • R.C. 本傑明 ™
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 January 2010, 16:37:44 »

I find myself drive mine in a chillout mode as it's so comfy but when a upstart trys to come to close to me it's time to click Sport mode and kick it .. then it's byeee
No illusions , No spin , No quick fixes , No compromises , No limit to how far you can go - Get an Omega

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 January 2010, 18:59:27 »

errr, uhm, I'd like to be able to say mine is driven like Miss Daisy....
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 January 2010, 19:47:13 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

What... When someone else is driving ::) ::) ::)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 January 2010, 20:10:33 »

I was in a hurry home from work tonight. TC was a busy little bee all the way home ::)
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 January 2010, 20:13:12 »

I was in a hurry home from work tonight. TC was a busy little bee all the way home ::)

I take it Mrs TB is out tonight... As Mario Kart is on the cards too

Must confess... I can get the TC working hard in the dry at certain points on my normal route home so with the damp roads we've got at the moment it does seem to be doing a fair bit of work :-[ ::) ;D

waspy

« Reply #15 on: 19 January 2010, 20:15:09 »

Watch those rear tyres ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 January 2010, 20:18:11 »

Must confess... I can get the TC working hard in the dry at certain points on my normal route home so with the damp roads we've got at the moment it does seem to be doing a fair bit of work :-[ ::) ;D
TC did a weird one on me earlier - made its presence known during a lift-off oversteer moment (decided I had actually overcooked a roundabout, so had decided to lift). Not quite sure why it did that...
Grumpy old man

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 January 2010, 22:41:07 »

TC did a weird one on me earlier - made its presence known during a lift-off oversteer moment (decided I had actually overcooked a roundabout, so had decided to lift). Not quite sure why it did that...

Oooohh... That's curious ::) ::)

I still seem to be able to get the car sliding if I'm really "enthusiastic" with the roundabouts, even with the TC on :-X :-X

MickAP

• Omega Knight
  • South Derbyshire
  • Facelift 2.5TD Estate "Chipped" not anymore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2010, 22:42:46 »

I drive mine slowly, so everybody has chance to see what a fine looking car it is. ;D ;D ;D

Well petrol is £1.08 ltr, think that's got something to do with it as well >:( >:( >:(

Mick ;)

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 January 2010, 23:48:48 »

I cruise with the bose on, drive like a vicar pottering out of mini roundabouts in 3rd......with it off all i can hear is the exhaust & all hell let's loose. 60 in 2nd, a ton in 3rd (under clinical supervision of course) B1224 between the york ring road & yorkmeet site @ Rufforth last year all between 90 & 130mph twice with an oof member on board each time so no bull. I won't do it again though. At the back of my mind i was worried about getting nicked, hurting either of us or the car so that was a one off weekend.
    Without being patronizing please don't try to equal such antics in your Elite/cdx etc as they have softer suspension & higher profile rubber than an MV6. Sorry to preach to the converted but i'd hate to wrongly influence a newer/younger member into a disaster.

It was a cracking drive though!!!!!!! 8-)
Curry makes the world go round!

davethediver

• Omega Knight
  • Blackburn, Lancs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 January 2010, 23:55:29 »

I cruise with the bose on, drive like a vicar pottering out of mini roundabouts in 3rd......with it off all i can hear is the exhaust & all hell let's loose. 60 in 2nd, a ton in 3rd (under clinical supervision of course) B1224 between the york ring road & yorkmeet site @ Rufforth last year all between 90 & 130mph twice with an oof member on board each time so no bull. I won't do it again though. At the back of my mind i was worried about getting nicked, hurting either of us or the car so that was a one off weekend.
    Without being patronizing please don't try to equal such antics in your Elite/cdx etc as they have softer suspension & higher profile rubber than an MV6. Sorry to preach to the converted but i'd hate to wrongly influence a newer/younger member into a disaster.

No more of the same at this years meets then guy? :y
“It is not necessary to understand things in order to argue about them.”
P.A. Caron de Beaumarchais

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 January 2010, 00:02:35 »

And shown up by an MX5........... :-X

Blackie_No1

• Ballyclare N.Ireland
    • Omega Elite 2.5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 January 2010, 11:48:03 »

depends who is in the car at the time!! LOL!!  With the boss and the child I plod about, when I'm on my own she gets opened up a brave bit, doing high speeds on "private roads"  ;)
2000 Omega Elite 2.5 V6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 January 2010, 19:36:09 »

I still seem to be able to get the car sliding if I'm really "enthusiastic" with the roundabouts, even with the TC on :-X :-X
Seriously, it shouldn't have cut in - I was off the power.  It will get a tech2 up its arse and some testing over weekend to work out what the hell is going on with it
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 January 2010, 19:37:45 »

I was glad yours suffered the same high speed understeer as mine - I had been all round mine changing bits to no avail. Just seems that is the way they are.

:y
Grumpy old man

Amigo

• Omega Baron
  • Immingham N.E Lincs.
  • Be objective, be selective.
    • Passat & Cortina GXL
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 20 January 2010, 20:12:50 »

I think you're right Jaimie. MV6's handle a tad better but by thier nature all Migs are big luxo barges built to munch miles in comfort which as we all know they do very well despite some of us playing rally or touring car games with them!!
    In all honesty i like them the way they are. A good RWD car with a bit of grunt should'nt be too perfect. The odd imperfection keeps you on your toes!!! 8-)
Curry makes the world go round!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 January 2010, 20:21:31 »

I think you're right Jaimie. MV6's handle a tad better but by thier nature all Migs are big luxo barges built to munch miles in comfort which as we all know they do very well despite some of us playing rally or touring car games with them!!
    In all honesty i like them the way they are. A good RWD car with a bit of grunt should'nt be too perfect. The odd imperfection keeps you on your toes!!! 8-)
It was good to see that a well maintained example showed same symptoms as mine :y  (though I have mostly fixed that issue on mine, and introduced another :o)
Grumpy old man

dave10

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 January 2010, 21:31:19 »

pedals are made to go to the floor and rev limiters fitted to all cars so why not use them after all a standard 4 cylinder motorbike engine is limited to 14000rpm so your car is only using half its capacity (im theory)

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 21 January 2010, 00:30:54 »

Depends on how late I am for work!  ;D :-X Also depends what colour the traffic lights are  ;)

Give it the odd blast on the ring road if the cars been stuck in the city centre traffic  for a week or more! Would be rude not too! :y

99% of the time I will wait for the car to warm up, unless I've no choice in the matter - eg pulling out on to a busy main road. :)
« Last Edit: 21 January 2010, 00:32:24 by Ian_D »
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 21 January 2010, 01:13:35 »

Seriously, it shouldn't have cut in - I was off the power.  It will get a tech2 up its arse and some testing over weekend to work out what the hell is going on with it

I know... Tis very strange :-? :-? Bet you can't find any reason why though ::)

feeutfo

« Reply #30 on: 21 January 2010, 02:00:55 »

habitual speeder i'm afraid...lpg keeps the fuel bills half sensable.

With a mostly bike back ground i dont provoke the car as much and with traffic round here top speed runs are cut short all to often, although thats probably just as well to be honest.

It is amasing how quickly german car owners bite when passing them, or i should say when they finally realise thay are in the way, and how quickly they bottle out as well. I'm not intetested in all that, i just want to be on my way, but no, we have to have gestures and angry faces.

Now dont get me wrong, its not a road rage thing, i keep a safe distance and dont zoom up to their bumper  and start flashing the lights and getting aggresive. They have every right to be there, and i'm happy to wait. But they seem to want to pull away rather than move over, and of course the omega just sits behind, they cant pull away.

Its like its a class thing, "your 7 year old omega isnt allowed to overtake my brand new m5/a8/gti sort of attitude.... " and some tosser in a bently continental with a pink shirt and jumper over his sholders got arsy the other day,...wtf? i'm only speeding slightly more than they are, bloody hipocrits... just adds to the joy of owning an omega imo   ;)   ;D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 21 January 2010, 08:42:01 »

habitual speeder i'm afraid...lpg keeps the fuel bills half sensable.

With a mostly bike back ground i dont provoke the car as much and with traffic round here top speed runs are cut short all to often, although thats probably just as well to be honest.

It is amasing how quickly german car owners bite when passing them, or i should say when they finally realise thay are in the way, and how quickly they bottle out as well. I'm not intetested in all that, i just want to be on my way, but no, we have to have gestures and angry faces.

Now dont get me wrong, its not a road rage thing, i keep a safe distance and dont zoom up to their bumper  and start flashing the lights and getting aggresive. They have every right to be there, and i'm happy to wait. But they seem to want to pull away rather than move over, and of course the omega just sits behind, they cant pull away.

Its like its a class thing, "your 7 year old omega isnt allowed to overtake my brand new m5/a8/gti sort of attitude.... " and some tosser in a bently continental with a pink shirt and jumper over his sholders got arsy the other day,...wtf? i'm only speeding slightly more than they are, bloody hipocrits... just adds to the joy of owning an omega imo   ;)   ;D

That is the only trouble with LPG... You are far less concerned about fuel costs so don't mind giving the car a thrashing ::) ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 21 January 2010, 12:32:01 »

I drive around nice & steady, keeping up with the flow. Not excelerating hard, just nice.
I do wind her up some times, just to give the cobwebs a blow out.

It doesn't do them good to thrash them, in the same token it doesn't do them good to drive like grandad.

Better sell mine then!!! ::) :-/ ;D

Boxvictor

• Nth Lincs
  • I dont hate my car, It hates ME!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 January 2010, 17:59:32 »

Nah, drive it like you stole it!!!
my biggest problem is NOT driving it hard :D

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 21 January 2010, 19:55:25 »

Had SWMBO reaching for the grab handle a few times on the way to London today... Especially when I his a slippery patch coming off a roundabout full chat ::) ::) ;D ;D

f13platform

• Intermediate Member
  • birmingham
  • f13..
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 21 January 2010, 23:46:30 »

i used to drive my omega like grany  ;D

Anthony_2Litre

• kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 21 January 2010, 23:53:31 »

Just got mine so have given it a bit of stick the last couple of days to see what it can do, but i normaly just plod along.

sexydaz

« Reply #37 on: 22 January 2010, 22:00:43 »

picked my daughters up earlier 5yr old and 3,now ive had a v6 and currently have the 2.2 what is there about 35 bhp between them anyway my 3 yr old starts sayin go faster daddy over and over again and where drivin thro an estate so we get to a main road and(now i do like to put mi foot down but i also like to potter about)i say do yer still wanna go faster and slam mi foot down s button pressed and tbh its no slouch and tbh not a great deal less than than v6 i think in general.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 22 January 2010, 23:56:01 »

picked my daughters up earlier 5yr old and 3,now ive had a v6 and currently have the 2.2 what is there about 35 bhp between them anyway my 3 yr old starts sayin go faster daddy over and over again and where drivin thro an estate so we get to a main road and(now i do like to put mi foot down but i also like to potter about)i say do yer still wanna go faster and slam mi foot down s button pressed and tbh its no slouch and tbh not a great deal less than than v6 i think in general.
Oh dear,what are you learning your two daughters hercules. :D ;D :y

M4DMATT

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 23 January 2010, 22:28:36 »

LOL, some great replies  ;D
Have been fairly sedate but im getting hooked on that little 's' button  :y
I do agree though, BMW drivers seem to hate you as you sit behind them not letting go on the motorway  ;D

Quick one, is TC on all the time or only when you press the tC button?

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 23 January 2010, 22:32:18 »

I do agree though, BMW drivers seem to hate you as you sit behind them not letting go on the motorway  ;D

TC Defaults on... The clue is that the light on the dash is Orange (so a warning) if you press the button ;)

M4DMATT

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 23 January 2010, 22:38:06 »

TC Defaults on... The clue is that the light on the dash is Orange (so a warning) if you press the button ;)
Thanks, I should have known that really  ;D ;D ;D ;D Just thought i would check as with or without it on it sticks like S**t to a blanket  :y

Lazydocker

• Omega Queen
  • Woodbridge, Suffolk
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 23 January 2010, 22:48:43 »

Thanks, I should have known that really  ;D ;D ;D ;D Just thought i would check as with or without it on it sticks like S**t to a blanket  :y

You're obviously not trying hard enough then ;) ;) ;D ;D

feeutfo

« Reply #43 on: 24 January 2010, 00:26:37 »

You're obviously not trying hard enough then ;) ;) ;D ;D
either got thick carpets or decent tyres....

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 24 January 2010, 14:02:28 »

i just plod along at 50-60mph as i know when i press the loud pedal and the play button on the gearstick the look on the cock in the audi/beemer when a vx estate is going to pass them is priceless. ;D
« Last Edit: 24 January 2010, 14:03:09 by biggriffin »
Hoof'land storeman.

unlucky mark mv6

• Omega Knight
  • tipton,west mids
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 24 January 2010, 14:58:58 »

i just plod along at 50-60mph as i know when i press the loud pedal and the play button on the gearstick the look on the cock in the audi/beemer when a vx estate is going to pass them is priceless. ;D
In my opinion mate,an audi or a bmw is no better a car than a vx,just way overpriced. ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.