Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bose 2006  (Read 3383 times)

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
Re: Bose 2006
« Reply #15 on: 23 June 2010, 12:58:26 »

Maybe you write a book on it,.............. about the fishing I mean.

No point me writing a book . . Who ever listens to what I write anyway !!

::)   ;D
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 June 2010, 13:22:38 »

Maybe you write a book on it,.............. about the fishing I mean.

No point me writing a book . . Who ever listens to what I write anyway !!

::)   ;D

text to speech not installed ....  :)

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23 June 2010, 23:20:00 »

Do you mean this Dave?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC9-408-Autoleads-AUDI-A3-4-6-8-PORSCHE-BOSE-ACTIVE-/290384593089?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item439c4540c1

looks cheap enough to have a play with  :y

Well, that cant have anything more than a few R's in it.

I suppose that the bose amp could expect a Linearly controlled amplitude feed where as a standard speaker out is Log.
I don't know if this is at all relevant to the Omega/Bose combination but one way of getting maximum output from an audio system running from a restricted (ie 12volt) power supply is to use a pair of amplifiers to drive each speaker in a bridge formation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_and_paralleled_amplifiers.

If the Bose amplifier is expecting one wire of each input to be ground and the other to be signal it might get very upset if the 'ground' wire is being driven.

Maybe the Bose setting in Tech 2 turns off one half of the output bridge in a CCR2006  :-/
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 June 2010, 23:34:57 »

To throw some more fuel on the BOSE / OMEGA bonfire.... What would be better from my point of view would be to keep the NCDC head unit (so everything looks standard to an outsider and the Nav / board computer) but replace the Bose amp and speakers with something of a little higher quality. I know in the chain of Hi-Fi seperates the argument is always to buy the best source units you can and then build outwards from them but it'd be interesting to see what the NCDC units are capable of when coupled to a half decent amp and speakers in a similar way to Kevins modification to a CCR2006.

If I had a car without an NCDC in it to start with I would certainly go down the complete replacement system route  :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 June 2010, 00:31:03 »

To throw some more fuel on the BOSE / OMEGA bonfire.... What would be better from my point of view would be to keep the NCDC head unit (so everything looks standard to an outsider and the Nav / board computer) but replace the Bose amp and speakers with something of a little higher quality. I know in the chain of Hi-Fi seperates the argument is always to buy the best source units you can and then build outwards from them but it'd be interesting to see what the NCDC units are capable of when coupled to a half decent amp and speakers in a similar way to Kevins modification to a CCR2006.

If I had a car without an NCDC in it to start with I would certainly go down the complete replacement system route  :y

Could have given you a demo at the weekend. :)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #20 on: 24 June 2010, 08:23:35 »

You are correct about going for the best source unit you can, but never overlook the speakers either.

The range of Clarion speakers we have on our website appear to be just about perfect for running with OEM head units and can give a significant improvement in sound for those of you wishing to retain the original appearance and functionality - I`m all for that -

But change the bits you can`t see - like the speakers !!!

:y
www.dndservices.co.uk

Shallow Al

• Lymington, Hampshire.
    • 3.0 Litre Elite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 June 2010, 09:49:54 »

Can you say which Clarion speakers will go well with a CCR2006, non Bose, that you stock please Dave.
 I am reasonably happy with the sound of it, but would new speakers help it to 'Go up to 11'
 Cheers
I used to know everything. Then I got married.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #22 on: 24 June 2010, 10:23:35 »

What size speakers are you after ?

Have a look in or website at the Clarion SRQ and SRE range

These are ideal for any of the Non BOSE OEM vauxhall stereos

Most popular are these

http://www.dndservices.co.uk/srq1720s.html
« Last Edit: 24 June 2010, 10:25:50 by Dave_DND »
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 June 2010, 13:59:59 »

Do you mean this Dave?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC9-408-Autoleads-AUDI-A3-4-6-8-PORSCHE-BOSE-ACTIVE-/290384593089?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item439c4540c1

looks cheap enough to have a play with  :y

Well, that cant have anything more than a few R's in it.

I suppose that the bose amp could expect a Linearly controlled amplitude feed where as a standard speaker out is Log.
I don't know if this is at all relevant to the Omega/Bose combination but one way of getting maximum output from an audio system running from a restricted (ie 12volt) power supply is to use a pair of amplifiers to drive each speaker in a bridge formation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridged_and_paralleled_amplifiers.

If the Bose amplifier is expecting one wire of each input to be ground and the other to be signal it might get very upset if the 'ground' wire is being driven.

Maybe the Bose setting in Tech 2 turns off one half of the output bridge in a CCR2006  :-/

The fact that theres no screened cable connecting the HU to the Bose amp would suggest to me that the amp input is floating earth, ie, balanced input, so along them lines it would make sense just to lower the speaker level from the HU.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 June 2010, 14:40:49 »

The fact that theres no screened cable connecting the HU to the Bose amp would suggest to me that the amp input is floating earth, ie, balanced input, so along them lines it would make sense just to lower the speaker level from the HU.

From what I've deduced from the innards of the CCR2006  it's still the bridged power amplifier ICs in the 2006 that drive the Bose outputs exactly as if they were still speaker outputs so yes, it's almost certainly a balanced input to the bose amp.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 24 June 2010, 15:30:50 »

From what I've deduced from the innards of the CCR2006  it's still the bridged power amplifier ICs in the 2006 that drive the Bose outputs exactly as if they were still speaker outputs so yes, it's almost certainly a balanced input to the bose amp.

Kevin

Makes sense then Kevin, considering the amps at the back of the Car, a balanced line would give better s/n and line loss compared to a unbalanced link plus it makes it easlier for Bose to just reduce the level.

Have you taken a Bose amp appart yet or played with one?

Chris.
« Last Edit: 24 June 2010, 15:31:22 by zirk »

harpersimon

• Marlow, Bucks
  • Live fast, Die young - leave a good looking corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 June 2010, 16:17:37 »

Just read this, and wanted to change my head unit on my elite to something with Blutooth etc etc..
but being new, and don't shoot me - are we saying that as I have Bose (cos its written on the rear shelf speakers) I cannot add any other head unit, and would need to change everything?
bugger.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 June 2010, 16:20:14 »

Just read this, and wanted to change my head unit on my elite to something with Blutooth etc etc..
but being new, and don't shoot me - are we saying that as I have Bose (cos its written on the rear shelf speakers) I cannot add any other head unit, and would need to change everything?
bugger.
Correct. Everything has to go...
Grumpy old man

harpersimon

• Marlow, Bucks
  • Live fast, Die young - leave a good looking corpse
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 June 2010, 16:26:07 »

Double bugger. Oh well saved me wasting a couple hundred on a unit I was about to buy, but made it more expensive to change anything. Think I will be leaving it all be then :-(

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 24 June 2010, 16:58:42 »

Have you taken a Bose amp appart yet or played with one?

Chris.

Nope. Never personally had the need to. If anyone's got a spare lying around I'd be happy to do some research though.

Kevin
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.