Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Automatic Headlights  (Read 2234 times)

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
Automatic Headlights
« on: 27 October 2010, 14:26:51 »

Has any1 ever fitted auto headlights to an omega?
Was looking at a veleo system, however that requires a large sensor to be placed on the windscreen. Was wondering whether the auto lighting system can be taken from another vauxhall car and made to work in the omega?

Raj

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic Headlights
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2010, 14:36:12 »

..... Was wondering whether the auto lighting system can be taken from another vauxhall car and made to work in the omega?

Raj

They're normaly built into the windscreen

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2010, 16:01:07 »

Why do you need auto lighting? I just pop them on if in doubt, ie: dusk or dawn. Same with rain-sensing wipers, can't see the point in them!

« Last Edit: 27 October 2010, 16:01:31 by DiamondBlackGeezer »
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

rajveer.sandhu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2010, 16:29:32 »

True,
But like many car luxuries, its just ice to have them.

There is no real point of Cruise control, or even remote central locking (as you have to open the door via the handle anyway to gain access, so you need to be physically next to the car anyway - and how many times have you thought you've locked the car and walked off. Tried to use the remote central locking and it doesn't reach. So you have to go over to the car anyways.)

Just good to have stuff that makes life easier.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2010, 17:03:12 »

Yep. People are always asking on here ''should I do this or that to my car'', and of course the answer is ''its your car, so do what you like with it''

You may struggle getting an answer to your question on here, as omegas never had an auto-light function. Its one thing retro-fitting a system from an elite to a GLS, its another to install a system from two different makes and models or car. best of luck!
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 October 2010, 17:43:52 »

I too can't see why you'd want them. I drive to work along a tree lined road and it's a distraction when the following car's lights can't decide whether they need to be on or off.

Surely the driver is best placed to decide that. We are really in trouble if we have to make cars this nannying!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 October 2010, 17:45:00 »

True,
But like many car luxuries, its just ice to have them. .....

I like the auto-lights on a Merc with the delayed lights to light you up to your front door.
Auto-lights also help stop people from driving away from petrol forecourts etc with no lights at night.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 October 2010, 17:49:20 »

I too can't see why you'd want them. I drive to work along a tree lined road and it's a distraction when the following car's lights can't decide whether they need to be on or off.

Surely the driver is best placed to decide that. We are really in trouble if we have to make cars this nannying!

Kevin

They'd help these prats at dusk & dawn who only think that lights are to see where you're going with and never consider that they might also be a good idea to be bloody seen with. There again, they'd probably just turn them off.  :-?

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 27 October 2010, 18:05:10 »

Kevin

I think the highlighted part is pretty accurate ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 October 2010, 18:32:22 »

Same with rain-sensing wipers, can't see the point in them!
Like lane changing indicators, rain sensing wipers used to annoy the hell out of me.

Though, again like lane changing indicators, I now think what a marvellous idea  :-[
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 October 2010, 18:48:57 »

Though, again like lane changing indicators, I now think what a marvellous idea  :-[

I like them too,  :y I'm sure that Hella could come up with an after market 'lane change' flasher relay.  :-/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 October 2010, 20:11:02 »

I like them too,  :y I'm sure that Hella could come up with an after market 'lane change' flasher relay.  :-/
Plenty of kits out there. But I too would prefer a simple replacement relay than buggering about with the loom
Grumpy old man

majesticlarge

• Gravesend Kent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2010, 22:34:22 »

True,
But like many car luxuries, its just ice to have them.

There is no real point of Cruise control, or even remote central locking (as you have to open the door via the handle anyway to gain access, so you need to be physically next to the car anyway - and how many times have you thought you've locked the car and walked off. Tried to use the remote central locking and it doesn't reach. So you have to go over to the car anyways.)

Im sorry but as a long distance driver Cruise Control IS one of the best things ever :y
Washing a car, is like making love to a beautiful woman.  caress the bodywork. Breathe softly and gently. And give every inch of it your loving attention. And make sure you've got a nice wet sponge.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 October 2010, 01:17:14 »

Instead of just having the little tiddly on the steering column for just CANCELLING the indicator, how about fitting one that turns the ON, when you turn the wheel so far?

Why not? Because everyone would simple give up indicating in good time before making a turn/change of lane. An indicator that comes on half way round a bend isn't any use to anyone. Adapting the world for the benefit of lazy people is not the right way to do it. I love new tech and improved designs, but not pointless additions soley to generate sales. Better by Design, and old Vauxhall slogan.

So....My AtoZ of 'Toys'  :y
-ABS-Good, in a panic situation swerving whilst braking essential.
-Cruise Control-Good, if you have ever been on something called a motorway
-Lane change Indicators-Good. Especially useful for changing lanes.
-Power Assisted Steering-Good, in a big, heavy car, as it give a power-assistance to the steering. Hence the name, really. Unless its a small car, then pointless, that's why you have a small car, because its ickle and light.
-Heated Seats-Good, if you have ever encountered a thing called 'winter'
-Radar guided Cruise control-BAD as the car will even do an emergency stop for you. Means you don't have to look where you're going, bad luck, grandma. Youre gonna get mown down. As theyre not designed to 'see' objects like people.
-Rain-sensing wipers-BAD When a pidgeon makes a small present on your screen on a hot day, completely unobtrusive, until your lovely wipers smear the present EVERYWHERE in a loooong arcing line! Lovely.
-Apaptive lighting-Good. Alters the shape and beam pattern of the lights depending on your surroundings. Also stops the poor bugger (usually me) coming the other way getting blinded!
-Self-parking car-BAD If you do something called a driving test they teach you this. If you cannot do this, you should not be allowed to drive. If is not unfair or oppressive. The RAF wont let me fly a Tornado, as I dont know how! I dont consider this unfair, really!
-Remote locking-Good Have you every walked away from the car and thought "Oh, forgot to lock it!" curse no more, dear motorist; simply press the button in your hand! Hurray! Notice how fewer cars have manky scratch marks around the keyhole these days, too?

Tired, and bored of being the only sane person left in the world. Night night all!!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 01:26:33 by DiamondBlackGeezer »

feeutfo

« Reply #14 on: 28 October 2010, 02:53:31 »

So nobody on here ever drove off and forgot to turn their lights on, hmm? Come on, we've all had that "what he flashing me for....?  Oh 'dangle berries'" moment.  ;D

My only issue with auto lights is the level of sensitivity. Some are so ridiculous they may as well be on all day, rather than on and off every two seconds. I'll point to mrs G's golf again, drove me up the wall, wipers and lights where all over the place, on when they should be off, and when you want them on they stay firmly off  >:(

Omega rain sensing wipers work very well in comparison IMO. But they still need waking up on occasion. Really would not bother with auto lights personally, and I love a gadget  :y
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.