Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on MOT presentation  (Read 2352 times)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
Question on MOT presentation
« on: 12 September 2020, 09:08:23 »

Need some advise on MOT presentation and valid dates.

MOT expires mid December 2020 ,but after finding some areas of rust want to ensure they wouldnt void an mot pass before going to effort/expense of getting them done..if possible.

If I take car to MOT in September and it passes MOT will that then run until next September 2021 or December 2021 ?

If I take car to MOT in September and it fails MOT,assuming reasons arent deemed dangerous, can I still keep using the car until expiry of current MOT in December or do I just have short period ?

Bit confusing as to how best to play this out.

johnnydog

• Omega Knight
  • Lancashire
    • 2.6 & 3.2 sal, 3.2 est
    • View Profile
Re: Question on MOT presentation
« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2020, 09:30:29 »

You can only present a car one calender month prior to the expiry date to get a 13 month test. One calender month and a day prior to the expiry date and you only get 12 months from the test date effectively losing a month. It cannot be any earlier than one calender month or it's just back to a standard 12 months.
If it fails its MOT in September, my understanding is that the previous MOT is then void and the car is without a test until repaired and is retested.
If it fails on excessive corrosion, would you be happy driving it for another 3 months? I wouldn't. It would make a bit of a mockery of the MOT system if you were permitted to continue using a car that had failed a midterm MOT. And I believe you have 10 working days to submit it for a free retest on the failed repairs if taken away from the test centre ( I think) after which time it has to be retested at the relevant test price.
All the MOT info ought to be on the GOV.UK site, and the earliest dates for testing on your current certificate.
2002 3.2 Elite saloon, 2003 3.2 Elite estate, 2003 2.6 Elite saloon

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2020, 09:38:29 »

Thanks for clarity and was kind of my understanding.

I would have no intention of using if repairs required were deemed dangerous but just need a clear path forward ...should things get to that point  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2020, 10:22:47 »

See if Nick can cast his eyes over it ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 September 2020, 12:31:58 »

That’s my plan Al

Changed front discs and pads yesterday and found a hole just above where the wire goes through inner wing of brake wear sensor.Started poking and can know put fist through it  :'(

Can’t bring myself to loose the car though so expect repairs to be considerable tbh but don’t see a option as like the car too much to part with

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 September 2020, 12:38:22 »

....... And I believe you have 10 working days to submit it for a free retest on the failed repairs if taken away from the test centre ( I think) after which time it has to be retested at the relevant test price.

"If the vehicle is left at the MOT testing station for repair and is retested before the end of 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed for which no fee is charged.

If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.

In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.

Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination."

But many MOT test stations wave retest fees

free partial retest is limited to what it fails on, if it fails on brakes or prescribed area excessive corrosion ,suspension etc then a fee applies  :y

full test fee is £54.85 partial retest fee is half the full fee £27.43 so hardly worth arguing over  ;D

nothing to stop you taking the car for a pre MOT test ,or getting it checked over if you are unsure ,as long as the NT does not enter the test on the VTS device ,it's not an MOT
BUT ,as  johnnydog states ,if a pre MOT check over flags serious problems and the vehicle is unsafe then best NOT drive it round for months  :D
the flip side of that is leave it till the MOT is due and drive round blissfully unaware  :P

Alnico Blue

• Intermediate Member
  • Costa del 'Saffend
    • 2001 2.6 CDX estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 September 2020, 12:48:07 »

Just a suggestion Amba  . . . as I have done this myself in the past .   Ask your usual MOT garage if they will do you a "pre MOT "   where in my situation he carried out the "MOT" without booking it onto the system. I ended up with a small list of issues that needed attention and some that were likely to cause fail issues in the "near future". He charged me just the usual MOT fee.  Depends I suppose on how well you know your MOT man .
Of course getting Nick to check it would be just as good.
HTH,    :-\
British made Celestion Alnico Blue = best sounding guitar speaker ever, sadly now made in China

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 September 2020, 13:15:24 »

Fibre glass and under seal :-X

Almost joking aside, driver's side repair access is actually pretty good in and out, passenger side less so, but still ok from the outside.  ;)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2020, 13:25:37 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 September 2020, 13:32:56 »

You can only present a car one calender month prior to the expiry date to get a 13 month test. One calender month and a day prior to the expiry date and you only get 12 months from the test date effectively losing a month. It cannot be any earlier than one calender month or it's just back to a standard 12 months.
If it fails its MOT in September, my understanding is that the previous MOT is then void and the car is without a test until repaired and is retested.
If it fails on excessive corrosion, would you be happy driving it for another 3 months? I wouldn't. It would make a bit of a mockery of the MOT system if you were permitted to continue using a car that had failed a midterm MOT. And I believe you have 10 working days to submit it for a free retest on the failed repairs if taken away from the test centre ( I think) after which time it has to be retested at the relevant test price.
All the MOT info ought to be on the GOV.UK site, and the earliest dates for testing on your current certificate.

Yep.....the mighty Signum has an MOT that runs out on the 13th October. I'm taking her for an MOT next Thursday, 17th September.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 September 2020, 15:19:56 »

See if I can track Nick down to have a proper look and honest assessment.

Ideally like coupe more years out if car as it wants for nothing and can’t see the sense in risking buying a suitable replacement which meets my requirements without spending serious money and suffering horrendous depreciation

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2020, 15:42:34 »

Thanks for words of advise ,both Als

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 September 2020, 15:43:24 »

Good luck to you too Opti  :y.Signum should walk it  :y

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 September 2020, 17:19:27 »

Good luck to you too Opti  :y.Signum should walk it  :y

Thanks......I'm eternally optimistic, but also realistic. :y

Even if she costs a few bob to fix to will be worth it to keep such a classic sought after motor car on the road. ::) :)

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 September 2020, 21:19:56 »

My thoughts entirely ...”it’s only money “!!!! ;D I

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 September 2020, 21:22:33 »

Good luck to you too Opti  :y .Signum should walk it  :y

Thanks......I'm eternally optimistic, but also realistic. :y

Even if she costs a few bob to fix to will be worth it to keep such a classic sought after motor car on the road. ::) :)

It won't be sought after when it's the only one left. Which is likely to be sometime next week.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.