Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: damp patch  (Read 668 times)

OMEGA VXR

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicester
  • I love my Omega
    • View Profile
damp patch
« on: 27 July 2007, 08:00:01 »

Hi all

Yesterday afternoon with all the heavy rain we got i noticed a wet patch on the front end of the roof lining near to the rear view mirror/drivers sun visor, does this mean the windscreen seal is suspect?

Does this involve a new windscreen?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Lee
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0113-2.jpg[/IMG]  [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0114-1.jpg[/IMG]

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
Re: damp patch
« Reply #1 on: 27 July 2007, 08:26:30 »

Hi lj707,
First of all does your Omega have a sun roof, if so, it is more than likely that the drains from the roof are blocked and need cleaning out. If I remember they run from the front corners of the roof down the window screen frame. Straighten a good old wire coat hanger. Push this down from the top to the bottom of this drain and the crud should then be cleared.

If on the other hand you do not have a sun roof then it is more than likely that the seal around the top of the window screen has gone. You will probably get a better idea by getting some water along the screen seal and checking inside.

If this is the case you can some times get a good seal again by using a reseal product from Halfrauds.

hth.
DaveL
« Last Edit: 27 July 2007, 08:27:03 by davel »

OMEGA VXR

• Intermediate Member
  • Leicester
  • I love my Omega
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 July 2007, 10:15:52 »

Hi DaveL

Yes i have a sunroof and did what you suggested with the drain holes and all is fine not blocked at all :y  
so its pointing at the windscreen seal, there is some slight blistering on the top edges of the roof but looks to be only surface rust, ive been contenplating a new windscreen for a few months now(scratches/chips) im fully comp insured so would this be an advisable route to take? obviously i would need to treat the rust first, it might be possible to do it while the old screen is in place.

Thanks

Lee
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0113-2.jpg[/IMG]  [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t146/WJones_2007/Lee%20Photos/DSCF0114-1.jpg[/IMG]

miggy

« Reply #3 on: 27 July 2007, 17:25:45 »

One one of my previous cars I had the same problem, I purchased a tube of leak sealer from the caravan shop, squeezed it between the rubber seal and the problem went.
Its a runny liquid that sealed the gaps in the rubber.

:y :y  

DaveL

• Omega Knight
  • Nr. Cupar, Kingdom of Fife
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2007, 20:26:08 »

Sorry I have not been around to catch results from your investigation.

Are the rust spots under neath the rubber seal or starting from the roof going to the seal?

It could be a stone chip that has not been treated.

I know my window screen is bonded into place and the rubber is only a kind of trim that fits into some clips. If you go down If you are going down the route of windscreen replacement you will
have to ask the window screen fitter to wait awhile as the screen is bonded into place. They may not be willing to wait. But you never know until you ask. Once the sealant is on the glass there is only a certain time to fit it.

As Miggy said you could try the leak seal treatment. Could also look at the inner seal around the sun roof. Pleased that the drains are clear. :y

DaveL
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.