Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: immobiliser help!!!  (Read 963 times)

filoguitango

• Rome, Italy
    • View Profile
immobiliser help!!!
« on: 22 November 2007, 13:39:48 »

Hello from Rome, Italy.
I have 1994 2.0 16V Omega bought second hand several months ago.  The previous owner told me he had changed the ECU and disabled the immobiliser.
The car had no problems except the centralized door locking didn't work (I didn't care). The only key I have for the car is non electronic(without chips batteries...plain old key) and it always worked just fine.
Today I started the car as usual and after 500m the engine shut off and the light on the immobiliser button on the dashboard (the one with the little running man) turned on. Also the certralized door locking mechanism works now!!! The car won't start though -- the dashboard lights come on, but for the rest it's dead city.
I guess it could be the immobiliser started working again.  Any help on how to disable it again or get rid of it (I doubt I'll need it) ?
Help!!!
Please!!!

Ken T

• Omega Baron
  • Stockport
    • View Profile
Re: immobiliser help!!!
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2007, 23:12:23 »

Hi there,
I am not totally familiar with the original Omega system, but I think it is basically the same as the facelift one. There is a transponder chip in the key holder, which communicates with a reader around the key slot. If this is not happy, then the imobiliser function will stop the car from starting. Note this is totally seperate from the remote lock/unlock function that is powered by a battery. I don't know of any way to disable the imobiliser function, and with the facelifts the 3 items are matched, eg you have to tell the ECU about the new reader, and then the new reader about the new key transponder chip, which involves using a VX  Tech 2 Unit, (unlikely that a so called "Tech 2" from FLeabay will work, these can read simple codes but not do complex things like change imobiliser functions, also the connector for the early tech system is different  from the modern system). So, my guess is that either the new ECU for some reason has accepted the original reader and key but is now not accepting it, or the transponder chip has fallen out or gone faulty, or alternatively something else, totally unrelated, has gone wrong. I don't still have the keys for my early omega, so don't know the position of the chip, but it is inside, near the key part. Are there any Vx agents near you that could diagnose it using a Tech system , for a reasonable price?. PS, because of the age of your car, it used the early Tech 1 system, and I don't think a Tech 2 can do it. You can run a so called "paperclip test" on the early Omega's, which flashes out error codes, so the ECU is telling you what it doesn't like. This involves bridging 2 connections on the diagnostic connector which is down on the RHS below the steering wheel. Search on this forum for info on this.    
Best of luck  :y :y :y
Cheers Ken
« Last Edit: 30 November 2007, 23:14:32 by Ken_T »
I used to be indecisive; now I'm not so sure...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.