Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noob Questions - Tech 2 and fault codes  (Read 874 times)

Bandit127

Noob Questions - Tech 2 and fault codes
« on: 01 December 2007, 21:05:24 »

Hi Everybody.

I just traded my '96 2.0 GLS heap for a mini facelift 3.0 MV6. 480 random and seriously enjoyable miles in 2 days should tell you how much I am liking it. A serious amount of car for the money.

I have a question or two about Tech 2 which I haven't been able to answer by reading the forums.
The "proper kit" seems to start at around £2,500 - is this right?
There is talk of "cheapo tech 2" in here. Is this a lead and a CD off Fleabay for £30 - for use with my laptop? If it is - can I reprogramme keys (etc....) with it or just read fault codes? Will TIS add functionality?

Lastly - can I do the paperclip thing to get fault codes an a 2000 mini facelift?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions - Tech 2 and fault codes
« Reply #1 on: 01 December 2007, 21:37:31 »

You are right on both counts.

Cheapo tech 2 is only able to read fault codes, and even then the software is hungarian and very fussy in terms of what PC it'll run on. It needs a genuine serial port for a start and won't work with a serial to usb converter. Having said that, it's worth the money to figure out what's going on if you get a fault.

Programming keys and the like needs either a real Tech 2 or a similarly expensive universal diagnostic tool. You'll also need the information from the vehicle's car pass.

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Noob Questions - Tech 2 and fault codes
« Reply #2 on: 01 December 2007, 23:12:46 »

Correct. Real Tech2 is £1000s. Cheapo Tech2 is £30, fussy with hardware.  Real one needed for programming/reconfiguring anything.

If yours is a 3.0l, its paperclippable ;)
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.