Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Machine Mart rant...  (Read 2366 times)

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
Machine Mart rant...
« on: 22 December 2011, 15:03:17 »

Recently bought a new 2ton trolley jack to help me with removing my rear wishbone bushes (see other thread) I thought my other halfords special wouldn't have enough height.

Use my new jack to do one side ok, but when used on the other side of the car the jack wont lift the car high enough as the handle has run out of stroke, it appears as if its low on oil and wont pump any more.

So I take it back to Machine Mart, guy takes it out the box and says its because the releasing screw is undone, I explain I'm not that stupid and had to release the screw to lower the jack and get it back in the box. So he proceeds to take it outside and jack up a car in the car park, (which I assume is his) and low and behold it wont lift very far. So I get a replacement..

And guess what, this new ones even bloody worse !!! hardly jacks up at all.. I wonder if they'll pay my petrol at about 20miles round trip each time...

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Machine Mart rant...
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2011, 15:21:09 »

Can't see for a minute they will give you your out of pocket fuel money.
I bought a Sealey 3tonne trolley Jack off Fleabay which will go high enough to lift both wheels off the floor at once.
About £70 iirc
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2011, 15:25:04 »

Has the fluid level been checked? Wondering if they just put a dash of fluid in them to test, lest it leaks out inside the container on its' way over from China. ;)

Then again, it's up to Machine Mart to ensure the product works when sold.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2011, 15:41:11 »

Has the fluid level been checked? Wondering if they just put a dash of fluid in them to test, lest it leaks out inside the container on its' way over from China. ;)

Precisely, I could strip it down to find out but why, but its brand new. 

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2011, 16:00:33 »

Forget a 2 tonne. Get a proper 3 tonne job....

pscocoa

• Omega Baron
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • Volvo V90 D5 AWD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2011, 16:10:50 »

they may reimburse you in goods but not in cash I suspect
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://[/img]

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2011, 19:06:10 »

Recently bought a new 2ton trolley jack to help me with removing my rear wishbone bushes (see other thread) I thought my other halfords special wouldn't have enough height.

Use my new jack to do one side ok, but when used on the other side of the car the jack wont lift the car high enough as the handle has run out of stroke, it appears as if its low on oil and wont pump any more.

So I take it back to Machine Mart, guy takes it out the box and says its because the releasing screw is undone, I explain I'm not that stupid and had to release the screw to lower the jack and get it back in the box. So he proceeds to take it outside and jack up a car in the car park, (which I assume is his) and low and behold it wont lift very far. So I get a replacement..

And guess what, this new ones even bloody worse !!! hardly jacks up at all.. I wonder if they'll pay my petrol at about 20miles round trip each time...

i bought a 3t from machine mart last year, that too is crap. ended up recently getting the black one from b&q. does the job, a lot more of a professional. downside its heavy. :y

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2011, 19:18:43 »

they may reimburse you in goods but not in cash I suspect

After a bit of foot stamping, I got my money back, there was talk of sending it away to their technical dept for them to look at. Hardly seemed worth all that it was only £38...

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2011, 21:31:48 »

i bought a 3t from machine mart last year, that too is crap. ended up recently getting the black one from b&q. does the job, a lot more of a professional. downside its heavy. :y
Agree! Cheers for bringing it to my grans and giving me a hand Ray!

I might have to get one for myself.  :)
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

Ian_D

• Omega Baron
  • York
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2011, 21:38:16 »

Sounds like low fluid to me too Kevin.

I've got a cheap and nasty 2T jack (think it was from Netto a good few years ago - about £20 iirc). It gave up about half way up - topped the oil up and it was fine again for a couple of months. Then it wouldn't go more than half way again... So topped it up again and all was fine. Had to do this 3-4 times now. Its strange that its not visually leaking any oil anywhere though! Don’t really trust it with the Omega anyway really - especially after its drinking spurt!  :-X
[size=12]
LMF are utter rubbish - dont buy steering idlers from them! You've been warned![/size]

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 December 2011, 22:25:57 »

Don’t really trust it with the Omega anyway really - especially after its drinking spurt!  :-X

So long as you're not under it without stands/ ramps/ someone fatter than you under there, you can get away with it. But I'd still be spending the extra on a decent one.

Mine is a Machine Mart 3 tonner, it's done 6 years of sterling service with the odd checkover to make sure everything's tickety-boo. If and when it decides to die, I'll be whacking in the overtime and getting some sort of fancy one... I'll have a laugh and see how much a Snap-on one is...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 December 2011, 22:26:50 »

I've bought a number of jacks over the last 20 years, plus used several at work, and every one of them only had enough oil in it to prove it works.
To actually use them, they ALL needed to be topped up and bled.

GastronomicKleptomaniac

• Omega Baron
  • Teesside (the nice bit)
    • 3.2 plod, 2.6 MV6, etc
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 December 2011, 22:31:46 »

Don’t really trust it with the Omega anyway really - especially after its drinking spurt!  :-X
I'll have a laugh and see how much a Snap-on one is...

...£630 for an aluminium one (weighing 30kg!), or £730 for a regular one. That's a lot of overtime...
Servicing and repairs done in NE. Special rates for OOFers! PM me.

feeutfo

« Reply #13 on: 22 December 2011, 23:00:35 »

Ime 2.5 ton minimum to be man enough to lift the omega with regular use.

2.0 just folded up side ways and wont lift high enough to place ramps under wheels for wb bolt tightening wheels loaded. Although that's not necessary with poly.

Ime anyway.

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 December 2011, 01:33:48 »

I've bought a number of jacks over the last 20 years, plus used several at work, and every one of them only had enough oil in it to prove it works.
To actually use them, they ALL needed to be topped up and bled.

I have two, one a high lift, both years old, working fine and never been topped up, never been checked either mind....... ::) ::)  as long as they work....... :y
If I have had any problem with them it is that they do not go low enough for some situations...... ::)
« Last Edit: 23 December 2011, 01:38:25 by Vamps »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.