Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Audi A8  (Read 27430 times)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
Re: Audi A8
« Reply #165 on: 24 August 2018, 18:21:35 »

The 85% "rule" is something the bearded sandal shod folk over at the caravan club came up with. No basis in legality.

Assuming your licence allows you can tow uptown your car's max allowable weight. So a 2.5t range rover towing a 3.5t pikey house would be perfectly legal.

Legality, no. But it's a really good rule of thumb to follow, as anyone who has towed a trailer heavier than the vehicle will tell you.

STEMO

« Reply #166 on: 24 August 2018, 18:29:27 »

Back in my army day (not in the 1st world war) I used to tow a tech trailer weighing 2.5 tons with a SWB landrover. When I questioned this I was told "If the tail starts wagging the dog, accelerate out of it".  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 24 August 2018, 18:36:04 »

Back in my army day (not in the 1st world war) I used to tow a tech trailer weighing 2.5 tons with a SWB landrover. When I questioned this I was told "If the tail starts wagging the dog, accelerate out of it".  ;D

I imagine there is plenty of this on You tube.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 24 August 2018, 20:43:44 »

The 85% "rule" is something the bearded sandal shod folk over at the caravan club came up with. No basis in legality.

Assuming your licence allows you can tow uptown your car's max allowable weight. So a 2.5t range rover towing a 3.5t pikey house would be perfectly legal.

Legality, no. But it's a really good rule of thumb to follow, as anyone who has towed a trailer heavier than the vehicle will tell you.

True, but since we've been looking at a burger van I've spent some time reading various caravan forums and it winds me up when you get posters, presumably with adenoids, waxing lyrical about the outrageous risks people are taking pulling a van that's not "well matched" because it's 87.897% of the cars weight.

And to even think of towing such a combination will lead to death, he'll and damnation  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 24 August 2018, 20:47:56 »

True, but since we've been looking at a burger van I've spent some time reading various caravan forums and it winds me up when you get posters, presumably with adenoids, waxing lyrical about the outrageous risks people are taking pulling a van that's not "well matched" because it's 87.897% of the cars weight.

And to even think of towing such a combination will lead to death, he'll and damnation  ::)

Don't do it, Jimmy. :)

Caravan are for old people waiting to die. :)

If you were STMO's age I could understand.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 24 August 2018, 20:55:38 »

I agree.

Look at hotels, hire villa's, cottages, look at air b&b's  :y

Myself and MrsT once paid £400 each, for a week in Portugal. That included:

Our own private villa.
Out door pool
Indoor pool
3 bedrooms
2 games rooms
Bbq area

Also included, flights and car hire.

STEMO

« Reply #171 on: 24 August 2018, 20:57:56 »

I hope you get stuck behind tractors full of hay doing 15mph......for thirty miles or so. You won't be able to overtake them and veins will stick out of your head with frustration and temper. That'll teach yer, yer bastid.  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 24 August 2018, 21:12:30 »

I agree.

Our own private villa.
Out door pool
Indoor pool
3 bedrooms
2 games rooms
Bbq area

I didn't know Haven had a site on the Algarve :o

Another reason not to go there  :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 24 August 2018, 21:17:30 »

Sadly a necessary evil due to impending homeless and the impossibility of renting with 2muts.

Medium term I've agreed to move to a 10 over 9 working pattern so I'm looking at at least 25 3 day weekends per year  :y

The plan is to spend these travelling around the UK. I fear that many B&b or villa nights may be unaffordable.  :-\

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 24 August 2018, 23:00:10 »

I agree.

Our own private villa.
Out door pool
Indoor pool
3 bedrooms
2 games rooms
Bbq area

No doubt this was where Little Miss T1 was conceived?!  ;)  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 24 August 2018, 23:04:01 »

I agree.

Our own private villa.
Out door pool
Indoor pool
3 bedrooms
2 games rooms
Bbq area

No doubt this was where Little Miss T1 was conceived?!  ;)  :)
I though Willerby Deluxe Tunnie was a bit bizarre... Suddenly it all makes sense ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 24 August 2018, 23:09:13 »

Sadly a necessary evil due to impending homeless and the impossibility of renting with 2muts.

Medium term I've agreed to move to a 10 over 9 working pattern so I'm looking at at least 25 3 day weekends per year  :y

The plan is to spend these travelling around the UK. I fear that many B&b or villa nights may be unaffordable.  :-\

How much were you thinking of spending? ........perhaps there are other options.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 25 August 2018, 07:29:09 »

On the initial van, £3-4k maybe. Just enough to get something serviceable for the 6-8 weeks we'll be in it. I figure buying in October and re-selling in late march, it will end up costing us pretty much nowt.

Longer term, no idea. Must admit, I rather like the look of some of the American style RVs, however, im not sure how practical they would be on Devon/Cornwall's lanes.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 25 August 2018, 11:07:35 »

On the initial van, £3-4k maybe. Just enough to get something serviceable for the 6-8 weeks we'll be in it. I figure buying in October and re-selling in late march, it will end up costing us pretty much nowt.

Longer term, no idea. Must admit, I rather like the look of some of the American style RVs, however, im not sure how practical they would be on Devon/Cornwall's lanes.

The blockage should be long enough to make the local news. :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 26 August 2018, 10:57:45 »

W212 e class estate has self levelling as standard and rated to tow 2,100 kgs
DG, I know you love your Mercs, and you know I hate gaytube with a passion, but this popped up after I uploaded a vid, and I thought of you :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgY6A3RPcU
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.