Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help me Omega-one-kenobis. Your my only chance  (Read 1603 times)

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
  • LC,GSi Carlton,Omega Elite
    • View Profile
Help me Omega-one-kenobis. Your my only chance
« on: 22 July 2013, 06:05:35 »

I must confess with a very heavy heart to losing the faith.

Just recently my Omega has been getting me down and I have done the unthinkable. I've been looking at modern cars again. The Miglet has just clocked over 74k. Never fails to start but there's always something else going on. I'm hoping a remap of the LPG and an update of controller firmware will give it a bit better lease of life, however the biggest bug bare I have is a real pigging annoying vibration which shakes the car so much it's horrible. It makes my ageing chops flap!!! What with the "I'll just change the rear pads" saga turning into a 500 quid bill my faith has been strained and some what broken. Sigh. I'm a dinosaur when it comes to cars. To me front wheels are for steering, rear for driving. So my choices for new cars is limited especially as I don't like Merc's or Beemers. I fear my days of ownership are nearing an end and it pains me to say I can see me driving some microminieuroshitbox. Restore my faith people  :-[ :-[ :-[ 
If you have to ask you wouldn't understand

albitz

Re: Help me Omega-one-kenobis. Your my only chance
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2013, 07:12:38 »

Anything more specific bout the vibration ?
That was one expensive set of brake pads btw !

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2013, 08:21:53 »

Sorry to hear that Dave, I didn't realise you were getting such grief.
There is no doubt that Omega ownership is a faith challenger  ::)

Apart from the emotional side though, everything else is fixable  :-X

And what a great tag - 'omega wan kenobi'
Brilliant!  ;D

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 July 2013, 09:38:05 »

Pads turned into (deep breath) pads,discs,handbrake shoes,calipers,rear springs and a brake pipe.

Vibration is at a fixed speed. Coming through the transmission maybe out of balance prop but more than likely a duff drive shaft. It's a very pronounced almost a knock but not quite. Worst at 56 MPH but can be felt from almost walking speed. Felt through left foot on the tunnel however I've also changed front wheels and checked the front. Tried rotating propshaft to see if vibration changed speed and it remained in the same place. Both prop doh(!!)nuts are perfect. Not sure if it's the vibration causing this next problem but today I noticed a very pronounced "donk" when coming off the gas at low speeds. Now fear the plastic washer in the gearbox may of met it's maker...................................................................... shit.

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 July 2013, 09:53:45 »

Surely the mileage should have protected you from such issues?
That's a bit of a sweeping statement I know, but still.

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 July 2013, 10:15:52 »

Honestly Jon I have every bill and print out for the service history and there is no mention of the rear pads ever being changed. So let's assume they have done 74k miles. Which explains the fact the inner pads were so corroded in to the calipers I had to put a cold chisel between the piston and pad and give them a mighty clout! On one side when the pad came out it took a chunk of the piston with it stuck to the rear of the pad. Both discs on the inner face looked appalling. Just proves the point if you follow the bare minimum of servicing by the book (ie look at pads but don't remove and grease) it will go tits up at fairly normal mileage. The biggest upset was the coil springs. Granted they were 4 years old but they had only covered 20k miles and had snapped. Had to buy new genuine ones at an eye watering 283 squids!!!!   

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 22 July 2013, 10:17:53 »

Have you changed the diff? If so was the prop shaft refitted exactly as removed? Centre bearing perhaps or gearbox rear mount. When that broke on mine it sounded terrible :-\

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 July 2013, 10:22:15 »

I have replaced the diff for an LSD. I've checked the prop centre bearing but have not actually removed the prop to do it. However I have unbolted it from the diff end then rotated the prop shaft to see if I could feel anything untoward. Gearbox mount checked out OK as well

05omegav6

« Reply #8 on: 22 July 2013, 10:45:07 »

Not sure what else to suggest :-\

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 July 2013, 10:47:04 »

Honestly Jon I have every bill and print out for the service history and there is no mention of the rear pads ever being changed. So let's assume they have done 74k miles. Which explains the fact the inner pads were so corroded in to the calipers I had to put a cold chisel between the piston and pad and give them a mighty clout! On one side when the pad came out it took a chunk of the piston with it stuck to the rear of the pad. Both discs on the inner face looked appalling. Just proves the point if you follow the bare minimum of servicing by the book (ie look at pads but don't remove and grease) it will go tits up at fairly normal mileage. The biggest upset was the coil springs. Granted they were 4 years old but they had only covered 20k miles and had snapped. Had to buy new genuine ones at an eye watering 283 squids!!!!

Ouch, ouch and ouch  :-\

I'm hoping to take my car on a road trip next month, and have new pads,etc ordered so I can get them done before I go. Sincerely hoping now that I don't run into some of the problems you faced, or the trip will be cancelled. Oh, and the marriage too I would think!
« Last Edit: 22 July 2013, 10:49:36 by jonny2112 »

albitz

« Reply #10 on: 22 July 2013, 13:11:09 »

Did the vibration start after you changed the diff ? Was it there before you changed the diff ?

doz

• Omega Knight
  • Southampton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 July 2013, 14:58:15 »

Vibration started way after I fitted the diff so I can't blame that.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 July 2013, 15:22:05 »

I can talk from real world experience....

I got fed up with the miggy cos of high fuel costs. bought a ford fusion which admittedly is awesome on petrol. but. I hate driving it :( it feels plasticy.

every time I jump in the omega I feel like the worlds right again.

luckily its worked out great cos my mum loves the ford and she drives that... ive adopted the omega.

wouldn't have it any other way. id say get it fixed and enjoy it once again cos guarantee the moment you hand over the dosh for the euro crap youll immediately know its a mistake. imo of course
RIP Paul Lovejoy

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 July 2013, 15:23:09 »

..... oh and fixing the problem of the high consumption of course helped.... but its still not what youd call frugal on fuel  ::)
RIP Paul Lovejoy

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #14 on: 22 July 2013, 17:23:11 »

Try moving tyres - back to front and front to back - just to see if it makes any difference.

If you suspect out-of-balance prop shaft, try fitting a "moveable" balance weight - we've used jubilee clips in the past to find balance issues with prop shafts ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 18 queries.