Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Motorists beware  (Read 1967 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Re: Motorists beware
« Reply #15 on: 29 December 2021, 11:07:42 »

Anything allowed on the road should be insured

Anything mechanically propeled should have appropriate road worthyness certificaton (Including cars over 40 years old)

Cyclists push the boundaries of the law too far now (Why not allow more flexibillity and ignore red lights)

Horses/riders should have insurance (I got my jag trampled on in the late 80's by a horse at a juction with a 14 year old rider on it that was usung the horse without the owners permision)

PEDESTRIANS - There is one in a local village to me that just walks straight across juctions with his dog without checking 1st. 

1st time was a petrol station managed to stop within an inch of him.

2nd was the other week, went to see my brother an the bottom of the road is a bit of a blind bend, I saw him so he must have seen me but just blateently walked in front of me.

It seems the law is now in his favour - glad I have a dash cam.

Roads are for cars
Paths are for pedestians.
and the laws an ass
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 29 December 2021, 11:13:29 »

PEDESTRIANS - There is one in a local village to me that just walks straight across juctions with his dog without checking 1st. 

1st time was a petrol station managed to stop within an inch of him.

2nd was the other week, went to see my brother an the bottom of the road is a bit of a blind bend, I saw him so he must have seen me but just blateently walked in front of me.

It seems the law is now in his favour - glad I have a dash cam.

Roads are for cars
Paths are for pedestians.
and the laws an ass

just about about kid coming out of school seems to have the right to just walk out into traffic .... they do look but assume you'll be able to stop.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2021, 11:27:38 »

The rule about the speed limiter will certainly bring some strange situations. New models with the limiter will be stuck at 70 on the motorway while 20 year old Ford fiestas fly past them.
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2021, 13:01:46 »

I was always under the impression that a pedestrian walking along a main road and having to cross a side road had priority along the main road over any traffic wishing to turn into that road.

Currently, only if they've already started to cross I believe.  :y. The new rule implies that a driver turning off the main road has to give way just in case a person stood at a junction wishes to cross. That person may simply be waiting to be picked up.  ;D
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 29 December 2021, 13:14:02 »

The rule about the speed limiter will certainly bring some strange situations. New models with the limiter will be stuck at 70 on the motorway while 20 year old Ford fiestas fly past them.

I sincerely hope the driver has the option to disable this.......much like the stop/start nanny thingy.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 29 December 2021, 13:18:29 »

I sincerely hope the driver has the option to disable this.......much like the stop/start nanny thingy.
Of course they don't, what would be the point?
Diesel till I die

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 December 2021, 13:37:22 »

I was always under the impression that a pedestrian walking along a main road and having to cross a side road had priority along the main road over any traffic wishing to turn into that road.

Currently, only if they've already started to cross I believe.  :y. The new rule implies that a driver turning off the main road has to give way just in case a person stood at a junction wishes to cross. That person may simply be waiting to be picked up.  ;D
Anyone following the main road has priority over vehicles joining said road, so it is implied that the 'overtaking vehicle' must keep clear of slower road users, ie not turn left across the front of them :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 December 2021, 13:43:28 »

Of course they don't, what would be the point?

To travel faster than 70 MPH. :)

My guess is that initially the driver will be able to switch the meddling nanny off......but in a few years time who knows. :-X

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 December 2021, 13:49:06 »

Many People can't even follow the rules we already have ,so these new rules won't end well .
cyclists and pedestrians are a lot more squashy than cars ,so they will have to use common sense /risk assessment ,rather than just hope everyone follows the NEW rules ,because they won't  :P

There's already that bus that kills several Covid patients daily   :D

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 29 December 2021, 14:03:30 »

Many People can't even follow the rules we already have ,so these new rules won't end well .
cyclists and pedestrians are a lot more squashy than cars ,so they will have to use common sense /risk assessment ,rather than just hope everyone follows the NEW rules ,because they won't  :P

There's already that bus that kills several Covid patients daily   :D

Yes if it's possible, these new rules will give the lycra clad brigade an even greater sense of entitlement, when IMO the onus should be on them to ride sensibly and defensively.

I saw a good meme the other day that basically said that cyclists expect all other road users to look after their safety, whereas motorcyclists assume all the other road users are trained assassins out to get them!  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 December 2021, 17:31:56 »

Cyclists push the boundaries of the law too far now (Why not allow more flexibillity and ignore red lights)

Ever looked at what some car drivers do? There's a lot more of them, and some of them shouldn't be allowed out of the house without their shoe laces tied together and their mouth sewn shut with lockwire.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 December 2021, 17:38:55 »

Ever looked at what some car drivers do? There's a lot more of them, and some of them shouldn't be allowed out of the house without their shoe laces tied together and their mouth sewn shut with lockwire.

I know.  Here in the Sheffield area I think we had on one driver got caught on the way to work the day red light cameras went active at traffic lights and then the same lights going home that night.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 December 2021, 17:43:00 »

Tell us about it.  Earlier in the year a driver demolished a trolley park area at our local B&Q., ending up with it's front end in the air on top of the wreckage.

Then, just the other week my local Sainsbury's had this happen in their car park:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/shock-as-car-ploughs-into-sainsburys-trolley-bay-258326/

!! ::) ::) ::) ;D ;)

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 29 December 2021, 18:28:44 »

Tell us about it.  Earlier in the year a driver demolished a trolley park area at our local B&Q., ending up with it's front end in the air on top of the wreckage.

Then, just the other week my local Sainsbury's had this happen in their car park:
https://www.kentonline.co.uk/ashford/news/shock-as-car-ploughs-into-sainsburys-trolley-bay-258326/

Without seeing the vehicles or sites, here are some details:

Honda Jazz, Vauxhall Meriva or some other small, boxy car. Or it was a scratched Rover25 with the full dog hair interior.
Driver well past retirement age.
Automatic transmission
The first thing they said after being removed from the car was 'what happened?' That's if they weren't unconscious and put straight into an ambulance.
Their middle aged children quickly arrived after being called by the police

I have recovered several crashes with one or more of those things in common, like one off a traffic island that was a courtesy car from the bodyshop repairing her own car from the same place, others that had hit walls on both sides of the road just backing out of their drive, one that had gone up their steep drive and almost drive off the roof of the garage, in a car park that the driver's daughter arrived and said "that's the third car she's done that too, perhaps she should give up driving" Perhaps? oppsing perhaps :o :o ???

My favourite was one Sunday afternoon after it had punched out the wall under the garage window, then backwards onto the drive, down the side of the house, across the road, down another drive, through a hedge, across the lawn and into a swimming pool.

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 December 2021, 18:48:23 »

Without seeing the vehicles or sites, here are some details:

Honda Jazz, Vauxhall Meriva or some other small, boxy car. Or it was a scratched Rover25 with the full dog hair interior.
Driver well past retirement age.
Automatic transmission
The first thing they said after being removed from the car was 'what happened?' That's if they weren't unconscious and put straight into an ambulance.
Their middle aged children quickly arrived after being called by the police

I have recovered several crashes with one or more of those things in common, like one off a traffic island that was a courtesy car from the bodyshop repairing her own car from the same place, others that had hit walls on both sides of the road just backing out of their drive, one that had gone up their steep drive and almost drive off the roof of the garage, in a car park that the driver's daughter arrived and said "that's the third car she's done that too, perhaps she should give up driving" Perhaps? oppsing perhaps :o :o ???

My favourite was one Sunday afternoon after it had punched out the wall under the garage window, then backwards onto the drive, down the side of the house, across the road, down another drive, through a hedge, across the lawn and into a swimming pool.[/highlight]
Answers to the name of Moon. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.