Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cylinder head/valve problem?  (Read 3272 times)

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
Re: Cylinder head/valve problem?
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2006, 17:24:38 »

Been up looking at the brov-in-laws car all weekend, timing was spot on, delts & tensioners were all good.

Took the head off, and found a broken spring on one of the No.5 inlet valves.

I'll post a picture here if someone tells me how.

Anybody seen broken springs on a V6 before?

Any advice onwhere to buy a new one?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2006, 17:31:59 »

Grumpy old man

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2006, 18:02:30 »

Picture of the business end of the cylinder head, removed, with camshaft still fitted

Picture of the valve spring

First time putting a picture on, hope it works!

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2006, 18:42:34 »

Well I have never seen that happen......is the guide ok, no slop with the valve fitted.

Spring is a Vaux part although some on here may have a spare kicking about.

Give that head a dam good clean to.........paint stripper is very effective at carbon and varnish removal.

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 November 2006, 20:04:56 »

Valve & guide good, although I'll take the valve to work with me tomorrow and check it for straightness on the surface plate.

Very very very lucky that the collets stayed on, I didn't need to compress the spring at all to get them off, just picked them off with my long nose pliers. If they'd come off it would have been a different story, he probably drove it for 10 miles or so running on 5.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 November 2006, 21:39:35 »

That head is VERY dirty....has it ever had an oil change ;)

Or has it had some dam additive put in it....

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 November 2006, 22:37:30 »

I have some used springs if you want one, PM your address. Also spare valve if it turns out to be slightly bent.

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2006, 08:22:30 »

I have some used springs if you want one, PM your address. Also spare valve if it turns out to be slightly bent.

Thanks for that, PM on its way

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 December 2006, 22:28:42 »

Just thought I'd close this one off, finished the brother-in-laws car at last, had plenty of delays for weather/taking kids swimming/dog been ill etc. etc. etc, thought I'd never get it done.

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice, it's all appreciated, and especially to Matchless for the replacement valve spring.

Snags I had - getting the flare nuts undone on the oil pipes which go into the block near the filter, lots of skinned knuckles. Just couldn't do it. Eventually, borrowed a 19mm flare nut crows foot off one of the boys at work and it was a doddle. Goes to show, its a lot easier if you've got the right tools. Mind you, it shouldn't be necessary to have to struggle with seized nuts on a MY2000 car.
The oil pipe banjo bolts which go into the oil cooler - I didn't put the seals on properly, had a massive oil leak when I first started it up, had to have the plenum/intake manifold/intake flange off again, which was a bind. My fault for not taking enough care.
Nipped the LH knock sensor wire, between the thermostat housing cooling pipe & and the rear timing belt cover. Didn't nip it hard, but it's a shielded co-ax type thing, and surprisingly delicate. When I figured it out, just spliced a new piece of cable in.

Camshaft timing wasn't a bad job at all, in fact I was a bit sceptical about needing the locking/setting kit, as it went on so easily, but when I checked it at the end with the gauge, it was actually one tooth out on the crankshaft pulley, so yes, £100 well spent.

So now its all done, cost about £300 in parts, plus my time (for nothing - I hope the brother-in law appreciates it!) and that includes a locking kit. Compare that to the £2500 he was quoted by Vauxhall.

It's a lot less daunting going into a big job like that if you know you can go somewhere for advice -  so once again thanks to you guys and keep up the good work.

Ian

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 10 December 2006, 22:31:58 »

Just thought I'd close this one off, finished the brother-in-laws car at last, had plenty of delays for weather/taking kids swimming/dog been ill etc. etc. etc, thought I'd never get it done.

Thanks to everyone who gave their advice, it's all appreciated, and especially to Matchless for the replacement valve spring.

Snags I had - getting the flare nuts undone on the oil pipes which go into the block near the filter, lots of skinned knuckles. Just couldn't do it. Eventually, borrowed a 19mm flare nut crows foot off one of the boys at work and it was a doddle. Goes to show, its a lot easier if you've got the right tools. Mind you, it shouldn't be necessary to have to struggle with seized nuts on a MY2000 car.
The oil pipe banjo bolts which go into the oil cooler - I didn't put the seals on properly, had a massive oil leak when I first started it up, had to have the plenum/intake manifold/intake flange off again, which was a bind. My fault for not taking enough care.
Nipped the LH knock sensor wire, between the thermostat housing cooling pipe & and the rear timing belt cover. Didn't nip it hard, but it's a shielded co-ax type thing, and surprisingly delicate. When I figured it out, just spliced a new piece of cable in.

Camshaft timing wasn't a bad job at all, in fact I was a bit sceptical about needing the locking/setting kit, as it went on so easily, but when I checked it at the end with the gauge, it was actually one tooth out on the crankshaft pulley, so yes, £100 well spent.

So now its all done, cost about £300 in parts, plus my time (for nothing - I hope the brother-in law appreciates it!) and that includes a locking kit. Compare that to the £2500 he was quoted by Vauxhall.

It's a lot less daunting going into a big job like that if you know you can go somewhere for advice -  so once again thanks to you guys and keep up the good work.

Ian
Cracking job, and satisfying as well I suspect :y
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 December 2006, 23:43:30 »

How did you get at the head bolts with the camshaft in mate?

from memory, I had to take the cams out when doing the heads on my V6..

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 December 2006, 08:21:52 »

James,

Exhaust camshaft has to come out to get to the bolts, but inlet can stay fitted.

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 December 2006, 10:05:59 »

Ian,
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for reporting back.

Your brother-in-law was very lucky to get away with just a spring, I guess the rising piston was creating enough gas flow through the valve to snap it shut so it didnt bend the stem.

ianrobbo

• West Sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 December 2006, 10:24:48 »

Ian,
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for reporting back.

Your brother-in-law was very lucky to get away with just a spring, I guess the rising piston was creating enough gas flow through the valve to snap it shut so it didnt bend the stem.

And I'm still amazed the collets didn't come off ..............
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 21 queries.