Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuel pick up  (Read 791 times)

VXmega

• Dumfries
    • View Profile
Fuel pick up
« on: 23 January 2007, 10:39:31 »

I tend to fill the Omega when the tank shows between a quarter and the red zone I've never had the low fuel light come on while driving, So i can't say it's really been a problem that i've noticed in the year i've had the car

I noticed a couple of times when below a quarter but nearer the red zone that when pulling out of a juction smartish that the car would lose power but, the TC light would not flash
However yesterday a friend and I were running late, the guage was showing just under a quarter and the car suffered several times as if the TC was cutting in, again no TC light showing but, did notice for a second or two that the car felt rough, though not quite a slight miss
This happened mostly at roundabouts and tighter corners with the TC switched both on and off
We did the business, stuck in £25 of fuel and blasted of back home just as briskly as we did on the way out and the car behaved as normal

And we did try
TC on:- TC light would flash as expected
TC off:- tyres would light up no loss of power

So i'm guessing i have fuel pick up problem when the tank is low and fuels sloshing about but, is fine when driving in pretty much a straight line

Any ideas or should i just keep the tank above the quarter mark

P.S. i don't think i've ever managed to put in more than 65ltr even when the guage was showing lower than this

Chopsdad

• Omega Baron
  • Bouncy Castle in Carlisle
  • Keep it clean!
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel pick up
« Reply #1 on: 23 January 2007, 17:10:43 »

65l in when quarter full, suggests faulty gauge to me. Personally I'd keep it topped up and carry a spare can  ;)
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o317/chopsdad/oof.jpg[/IMG]                                                       [img name=signat_img_resize]http://i123.photobucket.com/albu

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 January 2007, 17:29:52 »

Its easy enough to pop the sender/pickup/pump assembly out, easily accessed through a plate in the boot floor

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #3 on: 23 January 2007, 20:55:56 »

I experienced a similar set of symptoms some years ago ( a long time before Omegas existed)  , the cause was the vent pipe system for the fuel tank was completely blocked....  

basically what happened was that as the tank emptied, it began to create a vacuum instead of pressure equalising... eventually the vacuum becomes strong enough to affect fuel delivery by the pump.....   as it's pulling in the opposite direction... as it were...

get it to do this again, then listen very very carefully when you open the fuel cap....  of there's a slight rush of air inwards.....  and you notice it... then this could well be your culprit./

and....  see if the symptoms change at all, get slightly less, when all you do is open the fuel tank when under 1/4, but don;t actually put any fuel in there

note that the fuel remaining will shrink as you equalise the pressures, this may also be detectable...

Max
If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.