Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Noisy Cam?  (Read 2049 times)

1908pools

• Hartlepool
  • Poolies!!
    • View Profile
Noisy Cam?
« on: 29 November 2006, 20:01:04 »

Hi all

As mentioned in the electrical bit, thanks for all of the advice for changing my climate console, got one off ebay for £36, changed it and I now have luverly heat again :y

However on a different tack! As the subject say's I think I have a cam going off, my car has done 95000 miles.

When I start it from cold, there is no noise, but when it is warm there is a slight knock towards the back of the right hand cam as you look under the bonnet, a guy who does my diagnosis work, but doesn't do any major engine work etc said he thought it was a cam?

I have just had a LPG service done at the VX main dealers who tried to mug me into a 100,000 mile servce said that I needed new plugs but mentioned nothing about a noisy cam, and the slight noise was there last week when it was in with them.

The car runs great, but if it is a cam how long before I should get it changed, I presume it is wise to change both, also the cam belt and water pump while it's stripped.

Can anyone tell me exactly what is needed for a cam change, where to get the best deals and the bad part approx how much is it going to cost me to get it done :'(

Once again thanks for all of the advice I have had so far, a very informative site for us Omega lovers ;D

Pools

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Re: Noisy Cam?
« Reply #1 on: 30 November 2006, 07:51:30 »

Are you 100% its the cam and not just a sticking tappet.

Have you tried an oil change, maybe worth ago see if that makes any difference.

What is the current level of the oil is it on max/min?

I had a tapping noise and you could feel it through the rocker cover on the Black omega, I gave it a full oil change and a little wynns additive not Ideal but it seemed to do the trick.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2006, 07:57:24 by nixoro »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 November 2006, 10:19:36 »

Cam....no

Noisey tappet....maybe.

Ticking exhaust manifold...?

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 November 2006, 10:34:31 »

Cam....no

Noisey tappet....maybe.

Ticking exhaust manifold...?

Surely an exhaust manifold ticking would only be present on start up as I thought it closes up when hot or something like that. Still worth a look as Mark DTM is usually right.

Omega-MV6

• Calne, Wiltshire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 November 2006, 11:43:01 »

Yeah, I have the same problem on my V6... it's the Manifold.... noisey 'effing thing when it starts up, sounds like fiesta... :'(

But I'm far to broke to get a garage to fix it, and TBH I've heard horror stories when people try it themselves, bolt heads shearing off..... :o :-? :o

Unless someone can tell me it's easy it'll stay like that for a while yet...  :y

Cheers.

Matt
« Last Edit: 30 November 2006, 11:43:50 by Omega-MV6 »
There are only 10 types of people in the world.....
......Those that understand binary, and those that don't

1908pools

• Hartlepool
  • Poolies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 November 2006, 12:57:54 »

I had a tapping noise and you could feel it through the rocker cover on the Black omega, I gave it a full oil change and a little wynns additive not Ideal but it seemed to do the trick.

That's eactly it!! It's not very loud but you can feel it slightly through the rocker cover :o

I don't think it's an exhaust gasket I've had one of those, the DIS went on it a year or two back and it went onto 2 cylinders. This site wasn;t around then so I called the main VX dealer in the town where I bouth the car.

They said can't you drive it down :o I said I would rather not thanks, so they sent a truck to pick it up. My wife was in at the time when they came, I thought they would winch it up, but oh no!! They revved the 'dangle berries' of it and drove it on >:(

When it came back, yup you've guessed it, exhaust gasket blowing on start up, then quietning down when warmed up.

They took it back and yup studs snapped when trying to remove manifold, so head of, send away to get studs drilled out etc, was off the road for a couple of weeks 'cause it was holidays at the place where they send their work, I hate main dealers me >:(

Think I will give it an oil change and a bit of Wynns additive, is it just called Wynn oil additive and how much did you add?

Woo hoo boss coming over!

Many thanks

Pools

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 November 2006, 13:23:14 »

That's eactly it!! It's not very loud but you can feel it slightly through the rocker cover :o

I don't think it's an exhaust gasket I've had one of those, the DIS went on it a year or two back and it went onto 2 cylinders. This site wasn;t around then so I called the main VX dealer in the town where I bouth the car.

They said can't you drive it down :o I said I would rather not thanks, so they sent a truck to pick it up. My wife was in at the time when they came, I thought they would winch it up, but oh no!! They revved the 'dangle berries' of it and drove it on >:(

When it came back, yup you've guessed it, exhaust gasket blowing on start up, then quietning down when warmed up.

They took it back and yup studs snapped when trying to remove manifold, so head of, send away to get studs drilled out etc, was off the road for a couple of weeks 'cause it was holidays at the place where they send their work, I hate main dealers me >:(

Think I will give it an oil change and a bit of Wynns additive, is it just called Wynn oil additive and how much did you add?

Woo hoo boss coming over!

Many thanks

Pools

I think at the time I put the whole can in being it was a 94M but I think there are directions on the side of the can for usage dependant on age. May not go instantly but should quieten down after being driven a few times this is what happened with mine.

HTH :)

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 November 2006, 23:09:13 »

Are you referring to the Wynns lifter additive, or is there something else??

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 December 2006, 10:25:16 »

Are you referring to the Wynns lifter additive, or is there something else??

I think this is the same stuff it goes in the oil filler hole if that helps, I threw away the can a while back so cant remember whats on the can but if I remember right it was a purple can.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile

1908pools

• Hartlepool
  • Poolies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 December 2006, 20:08:32 »

I'm pretty sure this is what I used at the time :y

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_157187_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_58757_crumb__parentcategoryrn_58757

HTH

Hi

Was it this stuff?
http://www.wynns.uk.com/contextra/ArticleImages/Super%20Charge%20Oil%20Treatment%20425ml%20for%20petrol%20&%20diesel.jpg

There seems to be a few options with Wynns products, as someone mentioned above they do a valve lifter additive thingy!!

I feel a trip to the local Halfords tomorrow to see if they have a selection of these products! Can't do any harm to give them a go!

Thanks for the help

Pools :y

jonny2112

• Omega Baron
  • Bangor NI
    • 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 December 2006, 23:36:37 »

I actually saw stuff in Halfords that was lifter additive, and came in a plastic bottle, rather than a can. I think it was an orange colour. Not sure if it would be up to much, or any better than these other items.  [smiley=undecided.gif]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 18 queries.