Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sudden loss of all power. no more than 1000RPM  (Read 2475 times)

stevepugh

• Wellingborough
    • View Profile
Sudden loss of all power. no more than 1000RPM
« on: 25 October 2010, 22:09:39 »

Hi.  I have a 2.2DTI omega on a Y reg.  (Facelift?) 
it's been fine till today I drove home and suddenly lost all power.  Felt like it'd run out of fuel but it hadnt.   The Engine Management Light came on and smoke came out of the exhaust as if there is unburned fuel.   When ticking over, it's ok, but if i press the throttle it will struggle and only rev to 1000RPM.  Foot FLAT DOWN.   It will smoke.   
Just looked and it would appear that you need to have a code reader to read the actual codes as the Paper clip test doesn't work!   

Engine Temp was fine, Coolant level's are fine.  Sounds electrical to me but what?

Has anyone else had this issue before?   Is there anyone in the Wellingborough area with a Code reader that would be willing to pop round and test it for me?

Thanks.

Steve

greenfingers 79

• View Profile
Re: Sudden loss of all power. no more than 1000RPM
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2010, 23:43:05 »

hello, im new to this site but have an omega 51 plate with the same 2.2dti engine, there is very little info on this engine online and im having problems with mine, a good start may be to change the mass air sensor located between turbo and filter housing or check the turbo itself, on the turbo is a round silver thing" boost gage i think" disconecting the pipe attatched should get the turbo spinning constantly and should atleast show you if the turbo is knackered if it dont spin, you may be able to clean the maf with electrical cleaner as its only a wire but replacing hopefully may give your lump its power back

duggs

• Omega Knight
  • Felixstowe
    • BMW 3.0 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 October 2010, 00:00:16 »

In my case, with the same problems...crank sensor.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 October 2010, 01:42:36 »

Don't know anything about the DTi but also worth checking the throttle cable at engine bay end ie. not stuck or loose?
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

stevepugh

• Wellingborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 October 2010, 11:33:04 »

hello, im new to this site but have an omega 51 plate with the same 2.2dti engine, there is very little info on this engine online and im having problems with mine, a good start may be to change the mass air sensor located between turbo and filter housing or check the turbo itself, on the turbo is a round silver thing" boost gage i think" disconecting the pipe attatched should get the turbo spinning constantly and should atleast show you if the turbo is knackered if it dont spin, you may be able to clean the maf with electrical cleaner as its only a wire but replacing hopefully may give your lump its power back

Ok.  I have this morning tried what you suggested.  I found the round silver thing attached to the turbo.   I removed the vacuum hose and the plunger next to it moved.  The turbo didn't spin up faster than it did when i didn't remove it.  I have removed the air hose tho' and can see the turbo is spinning so it's not seized.  but when the EML comes on a few secs after starting, it will not rev past 1000RPM.   It's in some kind of limp home mode. I had a crank sensor die on my 3.0l v6 and it would kill the engine revs completely!  Rev counter to zero etc...  Not a limp mode like this.   of course the DTi might react differently.  is this the case? 

I don't know what else to do.  I guess I need to get the code....

« Last Edit: 26 October 2010, 11:35:24 by stevepugh »

Omegatoy

• Omega Baron
  • UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 October 2010, 12:00:31 »

steve dti has a crank sensor, and is known to fail there is a how to on here, but i thought if it went was a non start situation! most probs on these engines are vacuum pipes disconnected or leaking!! and there is loads of them, easch oine needs checking carefully, turbo problems are rare unless it hasnt been regularly oil serviced :y

greenfingers 79

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2010, 13:23:32 »

@ steve, id check the vac pipes and get a readout of the codes, there are so many hoses/pipes on the 2.2dti but as stated before very little info on the engine online, im stumped on my problems what with the car running badly and then it sorts itself out, puff of smoke coming from below the alternator, im thinking manifold failure or gasket,
had my codes read from a snap on laptop but really need to get someone with a tech 2 to find the problem, if you do end up changing the crank sensor can you let me know where it is located and how to change please, im guesing under the rocker cover somewhere?
best of luck mate

bappy

• HAVANT, Hants
  • Don't fart on the leather upholstery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2010, 13:45:31 »

had similar issue on my 1.9cdti vectra.

egr valve had jammed fully open pumping copious amounts of exhaust gasses back into the intake. Might be worth a look.
If at first you dont succeed, Rev it harder!

mark.adams

• Cambridgeshire
  • Happy
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2010, 19:21:42 »

Do these have a cat? could it be blocked??
Omega 2.6 V6 Elite in Shiny Black

Kneepad

• Omega Knight
  • West Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2010, 19:49:03 »

@ , if you do end up changing the crank sensor can you let me know where it is located and how to change please, im guesing under the rocker cover somewhere?
best of luck mate

This is for the 2litre but will give you an idea.

Remove lower engine compartment cover.

Disconnect wiring harness plug for crankshaft pulse pick-up (1) and unclip from bracket – bare cable.

Remove crankshaft pulse pick-up (2) from cylinder block.

« Last Edit: 26 October 2010, 19:50:30 by Kneepad »

stevepugh

• Wellingborough
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2010, 22:28:52 »

Ok.  An update.  I was looking around and found a link on a Vectra forum. (http://www.vectra-c.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10492&page=3)
It kind of hinted that the boost hose going from the turbo to the intercooler is prone to splitting!  Something has gone all of a sudden as I was driving flat out, so I took it off, and NOPE.. No split.

there are dozens of tiny little vacuum hoses all over the engine.  Do I need to be taking them all off and checking them all???? 

The car really struggles to start.  But after cranking it for a few mins, it will start, smoke then when you rev it, the limp mode kicks in.

I borrowed a Sealey VS8700 code reader from work, and plugged that in.   "NO CODES STORED"   >:(
Is this cause it's a rubbish OBD reader? Or cause it's not compatible with the 2.2dti?

I think I need a proper Tech2 on it but it's finding someone with one or I'll be charged a fortune at VX for one.

Also, there is a lot of talk about my EGR valve?  Where is that and can it be cleaned or does it need replacing?  Could this cause an error like this?
Sorry for all the info, but I know it can help when diagnosing via a forum....

stevepugh

• Wellingborough
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden loss of all power. no more than 1200RPM
« Reply #11 on: 28 October 2010, 13:51:44 »

Getting somewhere now.
got a Vauxhall Technician to run a tech 2 on it and it came back with:
P1222: Critical System Malfunction 1
GlowPlug General Error

That's helpfull!!!

Then they put a bosch test system on it running from a laptop and it came up with:
P1220: Start of Injection Control Deviation.

Further investigation into live data showed:
Injection Pump Speed Signal: 411-433 (Fluctuating)
Start of Injection Control Target: 4.9-5.1
Start of Injection Control Actual: 0.9

He unplugged the Crank sensor and it flagged up as an RPM fault, then plugged back in and it went again, so I'm confident it's not that.   

Any Ideas Now I have error codes? 
« Last Edit: 28 October 2010, 13:54:11 by stevepugh »

VeeSix

• Burnley
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 December 2010, 17:30:53 »

I have just experienced the exact same problem and was brought home by the AA last night.
What was the outcome of your problem?

I realy need some help!

My Business is struggling and I simply cannot aford a garage to fix it, I must do it myself.

The symptoms are exactly as you descibe. It suddenly lost all power and engine light came on, I pulled over to the side of the road and it ticked over but wouldn't rev past 1200 rpm. When I tried to rev it it kicked out clouds of smoke and the tickover went all lumpy like it was firing on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Any help is much appreciated

Thank you

charlie

• sunderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 December 2010, 17:53:05 »

my first port of call would be egr valve,give it a clean and go from there.

Brikhead

• Omega Knight
  • West-Mids.
  • Sleeping. Do not disturb.
    • 2003 chitroen Saxo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 December 2010, 18:15:29 »

P1220 codes usually point to the e.c.u. mounted on the diesel pump, it's quite a common fault with both the 2.0 and the 2.2 diesels.

In my case, with the same problems...crank sensor.
The crank sensor also supplies the rev counter so a faulty sensor would cause the rev counter to sit at zero.

Don't know anything about the DTi but also worth checking the throttle cable at engine bay end ie. not stuck or loose?
No throttle cable on the later Vx. dervs, they have an electronic set-up.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.