Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater Motor Fan Condition  (Read 1066 times)

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
Heater Motor Fan Condition
« on: 02 March 2013, 21:45:20 »

Hi Guys. Just spent the afternoon stripping out the heater motor and now I need the some help. Thanks to Jimbob for the t glove box removal 'how to' and also Welung666 for the motor removal 'how to'. Both invaluable. I have an intermittent fault whereby the motor stops working. It will run off a 12v supply but intermittantly when the supply comes from the speed controller( which has been replaced also) I read somewhere that if the motor is on its way out it can draw to much current and the speed controller cant cope. Having now got it on my table I am at a loss to know what to do. The fan seems to rotate freely and all looks well. The question is ?  what should I look for. Any pointers would be much appreciated. What sort of gap would you expect between the rotating bit and the magnet?
Also whilst moving the loom I came across a taped up connector with half a dozen or so wires going into it and running alongside the main loom and goes behind the switches. Anyone know what its for. The car is a 2002 v6cdx by the way.
Thanks in advance.

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
Re: Heater Motor Fan Condition
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2013, 22:12:37 »

If motor runs consistently ok off 12v supply I would still suspect faulty hedgehog.  You say you've replaced speed controller - new or used.  If used maybe you've fitted a dodgy one.  Omega ones same as late Astras if that helps.
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2013, 22:15:22 »

... and also Welung666 for  ...

We don't mention him anymore ......  :-X

9jdm

• Lancashire and Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2013, 22:34:27 »

The speed controller was replaced after the usual scuttle drain problem did for it. I replaced it with a genuine and very expensive vauxhall part. Thinking I might have had a faulty one I had the dealer excange it and the problem persists. They chacked the motor using Tech 2 and said the motor was at fault. 

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #4 on: 02 March 2013, 22:48:02 »

Suprised - but this type of fault usually can only be a dodgy hedgehog or motor - why not try a second hand motor from a breaker on here.   ;)
1972 Ferrari Dino, 1967 Triumph TR4A, Mondeo 2.0TDCi Estate, Jaguar XJ 5.0V8 Portfolio

albitz

« Reply #5 on: 02 March 2013, 22:50:44 »

Someone called ?  :D ;D

dbug

• Omega Queen
  • Northants
  • Dont knock Linux!
    • View Profile
    • Dbug IT Services
« Reply #6 on: 02 March 2013, 23:02:48 »

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 March 2013, 15:25:52 »

Hi Guys. Just spent the afternoon stripping out the heater motor and now I need the some help. Thanks to Jimbob for the t glove box removal 'how to' and also Welung666 for the motor removal 'how to'. Both invaluable. I have an intermittent fault whereby the motor stops working. It will run off a 12v supply but intermittantly when the supply comes from the speed controller( which has been replaced also) I read somewhere that if the motor is on its way out it can draw to much current and the speed controller cant cope. Having now got it on my table I am at a loss to know what to do. The fan seems to rotate freely and all looks well. The question is ?  what should I look for. Any pointers would be much appreciated. What sort of gap would you expect between the rotating bit and the magnet?
Also whilst moving the loom I came across a taped up connector with half a dozen or so wires going into it and running alongside the main loom and goes behind the switches. Anyone know what its for. The car is a 2002 v6cdx by the way.
Thanks in advance.
This one?

It is used to connect a hands free car phone kit.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2013, 15:27:53 by Andy H »
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.