Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: air con struggling  (Read 3579 times)

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
air con struggling
« on: 19 July 2016, 19:02:40 »

it was struggling to keep the car cool today .  32C outside so maybe that was why but i wonder.  my a/c definitely works but could it work better?

i sort of assumed that it is digital - if there is enough refrigerant in it the pump works, if there isn't enough it doesn't.  nothing in between. 

has anyone found that a working a/c system works noticeably better when topped up?

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
Re: air con struggling
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2016, 19:06:31 »

it was struggling to keep the car cool today .  32C outside so maybe that was why but i wonder.  my a/c definitely works but could it work better?

i sort of assumed that it is digital - if there is enough refrigerant in it the pump works, if there isn't enough it doesn't.  nothing in between. 

has anyone found that a working a/c system works noticeably better when topped up?

The cooling ability will diminish if you lose any coolant - best thing to do it measure the temperature of the air coming out of vents - something around 6C its on top form.

In my experience the Omega system is not the best, but mine had the car down to 19C today with 30C outside.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 July 2016, 19:51:48 »

Mine gave up today. I felt like a cooked chicken by the time i got to work >:(

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 July 2016, 20:17:22 »

My A/C compressor was on its last legs as it is but today it was acting weird. The passenger side fan would cut out along with the compressor then they both click back on after a few seconds then go off again after a few seconds... This goes on continually. Only seems to happen when it's over 24c outside. Blows ice cold normally.

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 July 2016, 20:34:32 »

does that 6C test apply no matter what the outside temperature?  6C seems a bit low to me, I'm not sure it ever was that cold but i will try it.. 

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 July 2016, 20:43:56 »

This isn't going to be as helpful as I would wish, but I hope it's a pointer in the right direction.
Assuming that you have a working amount of refrigerant, I read somewhere (sorry, don't know where) that it is possible to fool the aircon system into providing Arctic temperatures by means of a simple modification - maybe just a single component?
I wish my memory were better, but if you Google you may find it. They also commented on the lower efficiency of today's refrigerant, which was changed from the ideal one because of the Safety Elf.

Ron.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2016, 21:31:33 »

Strange as mine brought about the same questioning its efficiency earlier today.

Outside temperature was 32.5c but air comimg through vents wasnt that cold.As carry a digital thermometer in glove box did a test.When stationary vents were registering minimum of 14.8c but when driving at steady 40mph temp would drop to 12.7c.

Rang my AC guy who confirmed that isnt a bad system as its also effected by pressure and he then went all technical about bar pressure etc.He did say that ac does loose a small volume of refrigerant each year so a full recharge each year isnt a bad call although not totally necessary .He did comment that Omegas dont have the greatest ac systems but anywhere between 6-8c at vents in sesnsible 25/28 c daytime temperatures is good.Today was the extreme although not the highest we have had.

Did also advise that to get the very best from the system the ac should be switched to recirculation as that way air is cooled twice so will always give slightly lower temp.

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2016, 22:57:44 »

Strange as mine brought about the same questioning its efficiency earlier today.

Outside temperature was 32.5c but air comimg through vents wasnt that cold.As carry a digital thermometer in glove box did a test.When stationary vents were registering minimum of 14.8c but when driving at steady 40mph temp would drop to 12.7c.

Rang my AC guy who confirmed that isnt a bad system as its also effected by pressure and he then went all technical about bar pressure etc.He did say that ac does loose a small volume of refrigerant each year so a full recharge each year isnt a bad call although not totally necessary .He did comment that Omegas dont have the greatest ac systems but anywhere between 6-8c at vents in sesnsible 25/28 c daytime temperatures is good.Today was the extreme although not the highest we have had.

Did also advise that to get the very best from the system the ac should be switched to recirculation as that way air is cooled twice so will always give slightly lower temp.
:-\

neil74

• Intermediate Member
  • newport
    • 2.6 elite estate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2016, 22:58:25 »

My aircon has given up completely despite the previous owner saying it worked. and driving down the motorway with the windows open just made the intense heat inside even worse  >:(.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2016, 23:00:51 by neil74 »

steve6367

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2016, 23:01:54 »

:-\

In Auto it will select recirc automaticly during the cooldown phase and cancel it once no longer beneficial.
2.2 CDX Estate (broken), 2.5 CD Salon, 2.5 CD Estate LPG

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 July 2016, 09:37:54 »

In Auto it will select recirc automaticly during the cooldown phase and cancel it once no longer beneficial.

Yep, no need to mess with it, really.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Steve B

• Omega Baron
  • Leicestershire
    • '52' MV6 3.2 Saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 July 2016, 12:07:36 »

Mine stopped working on sunday after 18mth.. (i have it on all the time) just had it sorted..she said £35 on the phone..then when i collected it she said its £45 now owing to it needing 980g where most cars take 500g  :-\ is that right ..Omega has a bigger aircon setup than most standard cars  :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20 July 2016, 12:42:55 »

Mine stopped working on sunday after 18mth.. (i have it on all the time) just had it sorted..she said £35 on the phone..then when i collected it she said its £45 now owing to it needing 980g where most cars take 500g  :-\ is that right ..Omega has a bigger aircon setup than most standard cars  :-\

Correct. But shouldn't make the price go up, some cars take 400g bet they don't pay less.
Hoof'land storeman.

Webby the Bear

• Omega Queen
  • Northampton
    • 2000 (W Reg.) 2.5 V6 CD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 July 2016, 18:35:36 »

Lol that's a touch bizarre. Our AC recharge cost is £35. Irrespective of capacity
RIP Paul Lovejoy

omega2018

• Omega Knight
    • 2.6 manual elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 August 2016, 17:53:12 »

tested it today with a digital temperature probe in the air intake.  very best was 5.9C with ambient 21.9C so 16C below ambient.  that was with re-circ off of course but also all other vents closed. otherwise with normal set up was about 10C below outside temp.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 22 queries.