Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: nitrogen filled tyres  (Read 1617 times)

doog

• Omega Knight
  • Alloa Central Scotland
    • View Profile
nitrogen filled tyres
« on: 08 October 2009, 00:44:03 »

Was in kwikfit today ( dont ask)  and noticed they are offering to fill your car tyres with nitrogen in place of the normal air
 has anyone on here tried this? what are the benefits?

Doug
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for
me at kick boxing

Brick Tamland

• Intermediate Member
  • Dublin
  • Good one!
    • '98 2.5 Manual
    • View Profile
Re: nitrogen filled tyres
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2009, 00:47:57 »

It may benefit f1 cars and planes but I doubt little would be achived on a road car  :-?
Saving for one! All donations welcome, ask for details.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2009, 00:49:44 »

The idea is that Nitrogen does not expand as much as air when hot, so the pressure in the tyre remains the same when it is cold or warm.

Also, the Nitrogen molecules are supposed to be bigger than air (not sure why - air contains Nitrogen...) so do not escape through the rubber - hence Nitrogen-filled tyres never need topping-up.

I am sure there is an advantage in using Nitrogen - after all, race cars use it, but I am not covinced (Cosco offer Nitrigen as well). I stick to good old air, I don't mind topping-up from time to time and find it easier to manage when changing the tyre pressure e.g. upping the pressure when the car is loaded etc.

So I think it is a bit like a boot spoiler - nice to have, and does improve down force - if you travel at 200mph.....

« Last Edit: 08 October 2009, 00:50:27 by markjay »
Alas, no more Omegas....

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #3 on: 08 October 2009, 09:00:00 »

agreed above.. and as the winter is coming no reason to use nitrogen..

bob.dent

• Omega Lord
  • Hertfordshire
  • Drives better than an Omega
    • Mondeo 2.0TDCI Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 October 2009, 09:22:27 »

Mine always get filled with nitrogen when I go to WIM as they don't use air. Doesn't absorb moisture and pressure remains constant.
I HAVE THE BODY OF AN 18 YEAR OLD.......I KEEP IT IN THE FRIDGE!

Selseybill

• La Rochelle
    • 2.0 pre face, 2.2 CDX est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 October 2009, 13:36:14 »

Nitrogen has been band in the USA.After a report from a USA government research department.After 46 tyre explosions they found if a tyre is punctured by a metal object such  as a nail or screw,the heat from the tyre and the metal object hitting the road surface on each turn of the wheel.this turned the the screw or nail into a detonator(spark) device.something about element compounds(nitrogen,metal,rubber,heat,silicones)Nitrogen on it's own is inert but a mixture of different elements in certain cases change this which i don't understand.Perhaps someone with a degree in chemistry can enlighten me.

Bentley tried nitrogen in their tyres back in 1987 but found no gain and only found unless you drive in excess of 170 mph everywhere and constantly change your tyres as in F1  there is no advantage in using nitrogen.

Paying extra for nitrogen gas for normal car road tyres has shown no value for the normal motorist.This was in a article in which magazine published in the the late 90s if i remember rightly      

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 October 2009, 15:08:01 »

It's a gimmick.

F1 style diffusers are starting to appear on road cars, but does a (for example) Megane go fast enough to warrant it? Probably not.

Imagine the fun you could have trying to get your tyre topped up if you had a slow puncture or the tyre wasn't quite as tight as it should be on the rim.

Keep it to the track.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 October 2009, 22:09:52 »

Nitrogen has been band in the USA.After a report from a USA government research department.After 46 tyre explosions they found if a tyre is punctured by a metal object such  as a nail or screw,the heat from the tyre and the metal object hitting the road surface on each turn of the wheel.this turned the the screw or nail into a detonator(spark) device.something about element compounds(nitrogen,metal,rubber,heat,silicones)Nitrogen on it's own is inert but a mixture of different elements in certain cases change this which i don't understand.Perhaps someone with a degree in chemistry can enlighten me.

Admins, please remove this post asap, before terrorists get on to it - I can see the next 9/11 coming, a giant earth-mover's tyre with a nail stuck in it slowly rolling towards Canary Wharf...   ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....

feeutfo

« Reply #8 on: 09 October 2009, 00:17:39 »

i would think, should you use it, that you would have to raise your pressures to allow for the fact that air does expand when hot. There for the "hot tyre" pressure would need to be set,( rather than the normal "cold tyre" pressure), when using nitrogen....???

Normally tyre pressures would be set when tyre is cold, or should be, if a little fussy. This would take into account a known increase as the tyre warms up of 5 or 6 psi or whatever....

How do they calculate your new tyre pressure when using nitrogen?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 October 2009, 00:37:24 »

Admins, please remove this post asap, before terrorists get on to it - I can see the next 9/11 coming, a giant earth-mover's tyre with a nail stuck in it slowly rolling towards Canary Wharf...   ;D

Yep. We'll be in real trouble if this "inert gas" explosive idea gets to al quaeda. ;)

I suppose I'd better hide those lethal Arcon/CO2 cylinders by my welder too. :o

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 October 2009, 00:58:15 »

Yep. We'll be in real trouble if this "inert gas" explosive idea gets to al quaeda. ;)

Kevin
Nearly as good as the old don't smoke near an oxygen cylinder line that used to get used in hospitals.
Nurses were convinced it would explode. ;D
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

geoff

• thornaby,stockton on tees
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2009, 04:37:38 »

i think the new nissan gtr has this in it's tyre's, but don't see the point,whats wrong with having to check your tyres now and again,i have a compressor and an air pressure gauge to check pressure for that cost's nothing :y :y :y :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09 October 2009, 09:18:57 »

Nearly as good as the old don't smoke near an oxygen cylinder line that used to get used in hospitals.

Got one of those in the garage too, actually. Life expired about 10 years ago but still full. ::)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2009, 15:20:42 »

Kevin

???

Setting aside the explosion issue, smoking in hospital does not sound like a very good idea - especially if you already on oxygen...  ;D
Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 18 queries.