Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: If JLR go under...  (Read 3561 times)

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
Re: If JLR go under...
« Reply #30 on: 12 December 2023, 19:33:14 »

I had an Austin Maxi and lived in a rough area of Liverpool. Me and the local thieves came to a kind of arrangement, I stopped locking it and they put it back near enough where they took it from so I could drive to work in the morning. Petrol was cheap enough and I only ever left a quarter of a tank in it.
It wasn't there one morning and I never saw it again  ;D
How did you get on changing down from third to second Steve?  ;)
Starting of it was 1st to 2nd and just a lucky dip after that  ;D
Diesel till I die

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 December 2023, 19:33:35 »

It is possible for any car manufacturer to make their vehicles virtually un-break-in-able. I say virtually as an angle grinder doesn’t count as a fair test in making a vehicle un-stealable. 
Rolling door entry codes, unbreakable glazing, reinforced door framing, shoot bolts, shielded locks to prevent piercing access etc go a long way to holding up a vehicle theft, but this causes its own problems. If a car is so secure, how do rescuers get in when you crash. It’s a trade off between security and safety, as crumple zones become further stressed by the extra reinforcements, so this makes the design less feasible.
In later years it was the quest for fancy gimmicks like keyless start/keyless entry etc that made our vehicles more vulnerable to less damaging hacking technology, although keyless entry can be deactivated. What’s wrong with the good old hidden kill switch, or fitting a Ghost as standard.  :)
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

YZ250

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford/Bucks border
    • Black 3.2 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 12 December 2023, 19:55:13 »

I had an Austin Maxi ……

I passed my driving test in my Dad’s brand new Austin Maxi 1750HL.  :y  We have a steep hill outside a village near us and when it peaks, the descent is equally steep. I hit the top of the peak flat out in my Dad’s Maxi, and it went frighteningly airborne and came back to earth with a bang. I’d blown the hydrolastic suspension cylinder so the car was sat on its arse. My Dad had it repaired by the dealer, who paid most of the costs as defective suspension was suspected. I felt really bad about abusing my Dad’s trust in me.  :-[
My fun car is a 2020 Bmw F32 430d M Sport with indicators.
My cruiser is an Audi A6 Avant S Line Black Edition with indicators.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 December 2023, 20:02:12 »

I had an Austin Maxi ……

I passed my driving test in my Dad’s brand new Austin Maxi 1750HL.  :y  We have a steep hill outside a village near us and when it peaks, the descent is equally steep. I hit the top of the peak flat out in my Dad’s Maxi, and it went frighteningly airborne and came back to earth with a bang. I’d blown the hydrolastic suspension cylinder so the car was sat on its arse. My Dad had it repaired by the dealer, who paid most of the costs as defective suspension was suspected. I felt really bad about abusing my Dad’s trust in me.  :-[
Hydrolastic, 4 balloons filled with water  ;D
Diesel till I die

Rangie

• Omega Lord
  • Lincolnshire
    • RRS TDV8 Subaru Forester
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 December 2023, 20:04:54 »

I had an Austin Maxi ……

I borrowed my Fathers MK3 Zodiac to take a girl out a few times, I had one heck of a job explaining the torn headlining, which was done by her legs akimbo & high heels..😁😁😁
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with their experience.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 December 2023, 20:11:45 »

It is possible for any car manufacturer to make their vehicles virtually un-break-in-able. I say virtually as an angle grinder doesn’t count as a fair test in making a vehicle un-stealable. 
Rolling door entry codes, unbreakable glazing, reinforced door framing, shoot bolts, shielded locks to prevent piercing access etc go a long way to holding up a vehicle theft, but this causes its own problems. If a car is so secure, how do rescuers get in when you crash. It’s a trade off between security and safety, as crumple zones become further stressed by the extra reinforcements, so this makes the design less feasible.
In later years it was the quest for fancy gimmicks like keyless start/keyless entry etc that made our vehicles more vulnerable to less damaging hacking technology, although keyless entry can be deactivated. What’s wrong with the good old hidden kill switch, or fitting a Ghost as standard.  :)
Rolling codes is crackable.  And all Omegas, VAGs more than a few years old, and just about everything out there was cracked, and tools were readily available that just needed to catcher the code of one key and it would be able to send the next 1000s of codes.

Thing is, nobody wanted to nick an Omega (or VAG product) ;D

And electronic security relies on some for of predictable encryption, and that's its weakness, that will always be a never ending circle, as ultimately its the future, probably tied with biometrics.  Mechanical encryption is usually breakable, which is how safe breakers make their money ;D.  Current biometric security is frequently flawed as anyone with biometric security on their phone knows.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 December 2023, 20:23:11 »

I had an Austin Maxi and lived in a rough area of Liverpool. Me and the local thieves came to a kind of arrangement, I stopped locking it and they put it back near enough where they took it from so I could drive to work in the morning. Petrol was cheap enough and I only ever left a quarter of a tank in it.
It wasn't there one morning and I never saw it again  ;D
How did you get on changing down from third to second Steve?  ;)
Starting of it was 1st to 2nd and just a lucky dip after that  ;D
Started to teach my daughter to drive in mine but soon gave up. Probably scarred her for life. Like stirring a bloody great pudden.  ;D  Only kept it for three months and traded it in for my lovely Regency green Mk2 Granny. My dad had one for years and had no gear selection issues in all that time. The hydrolastic suspension failed though. As did it on mine, just a week after i traded it. Dealer was not happy. :D  They had a great seat/load configuration though.

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 December 2023, 20:32:16 »

Not satisfied with having a bowl of porridge as a gearbox in one car, I bought an Austin 1100 after the maxi went  :o
Diesel till I die

STEMO

• Omega Lord
    • Astra 1.6 diesel
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 December 2023, 20:32:42 »

£40  ;D
Diesel till I die
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.