Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio on, no sound  (Read 9071 times)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
Re: Radio on, no sound
« Reply #45 on: 30 November 2023, 16:29:43 »

You haven't inadvertently pressed mute? It's probably a stupid question but new to you gadgets might have quirks and features that take some getting used to ;)
!

That was the first thing that SWMBO checked (I was collecting her when the sound went). I need to spend some time in the car (not driving!) to play around. The installer is away for a few days but has offered to take a look later next week.

Ho hum! Isn't technology a wonderful thing?  ::) ::)

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 30 November 2023, 16:47:32 »

You haven't inadvertently pressed mute? It's probably a stupid question but new to you gadgets might have quirks and features that take some getting used to ;)
!

That was the first thing that SWMBO checked (I was collecting her when the sound went). I need to spend some time in the car (not driving!) to play around. The installer is away for a few days but has offered to take a look later next week.

Ho hum! Isn't technology a wonderful thing?  ::) ::)
No!  >:(  ;D

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 30 November 2023, 17:47:35 »

thats why i always try  to fix the original oem radios. in most cars aftermarket ones (although probably technically better / not always have more features if you want that sort of thing,some not nescessarry realy) sometimes just dont look right in an older car and i think this applies in the omega too. the original unit was perfectly capable and matched the dash perfectly.
my opinion only of course !
« Last Edit: 30 November 2023, 17:50:35 by cam.in.head »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 30 November 2023, 18:37:10 »

It's a simple thing to rule out, as would making sure the plugs behind the head unit, including any adapters, are securely clipped together ;)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 30 November 2023, 19:39:12 »

It's a simple thing to rule out, as would making sure the plugs behind the head unit, including any adapters, are securely clipped together ;)

Yes, I need to take the unit out and check. Never taken one out before, but looking at the manual, it seems straightforward. Maybe a job for this weekend. ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 30 November 2023, 21:16:08 »

Depends how well it's been installed. Should have installation instructions with it.

On the Omega, the dash filler panel will probably fall off, and then you can access the screws in the top corners and clips behind the ashtray (itself secured by a single central screw accessed by holding down the spring flap), and the climate panel and trim will simply lift away.

To completely remove the trim, you need to unplug the climate panel and remove the switches before you can unclip the plugs from the back of the trim (slide into a clipped location... Self explanatory with it Infront of you) and

Then it's 4/6 screws to lift out the radio cage. And you might want to move the selector to 1 to improve access.

That took longer to type than do.

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 30 November 2023, 21:44:36 »

Depends how well it's been installed. Should have installation instructions with it.

On the Omega, the dash filler panel will probably fall off, and then you can access the screws in the top corners and clips behind the ashtray (itself secured by a single central screw accessed by holding down the spring flap), and the climate panel and trim will simply lift away.

To completely remove the trim, you need to unplug the climate panel and remove the switches before you can unclip the plugs from the back of the trim (slide into a clipped location... Self explanatory with it Infront of you) and

Then it's 4/6 screws to lift out the radio cage. And you might want to move the selector to 1 to improve access.

That took longer to type than do.

;D ;D Cheers, Doc!

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 December 2023, 16:40:43 »

FFS!

Following on from the Doc's recommendation, I was in the car earlier and, thinking about my task of removing the unit, I casually opened the ashtray...

It only opens halfway, with the result that I cannot remove the tray or the ciggie lighter.

That fitter (who's away until next week) has some questions to answer... >:( >:(

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 01 December 2023, 17:26:46 »

Actually he doesn't.

It's a design flaw of the aftermarket facia plate.

Push the ashtray part way closed and using a card, carefully slide it between the sprung ashtray plate and the facia panel.

Ash tray should open freely and continue as above.

When you refit it a strip of black gaffer tape to bridge the gap between the facia plate and the bottom of the radio cage will see the issue permanently and invisibly resolved.

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 01 December 2023, 19:03:22 »

Actually he doesn't.

It's a design flaw of the aftermarket facia plate.

Push the ashtray part way closed and using a card, carefully slide it between the sprung ashtray plate and the facia panel.

Ash tray should open freely and continue as above.

When you refit it a strip of black gaffer tape to bridge the gap between the facia plate and the bottom of the radio cage will see the issue permanently and invisibly resolved.

Aha!  :o

Cheers, mate!  :y :y

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 06 December 2023, 14:44:32 »

It is possible that one of the door shut looms has broken wires ,if these get shorted intermittently  :o it can cause all sorts of issues
more of a problem on true canbus wiring ,but possible on an Omega too  :-\

not saying that's the case here ,just a possibility  ;)

Success (partial at the moment!). As we now have a dry day, I have been out to the car to have a play around. Lo and behold, when I twiddled the loom which runs into the NSR door, on came the sound!  :y :)

Will need to pick a good time to thoroughly investigate, but at least I know where the problem is! Thanks to Dave for the pointer!  :y :y

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 06 December 2023, 16:30:08 »

Sound gone again.

Have ordered a new back door loom for £20.

Can anyone post or point a link to, a guide to fitting same?

TIA 

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 06 December 2023, 16:32:51 »

Remove the door card. Unplug and remove old loom. Refit new loom. Refit door card.

In a nutshell

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 06 December 2023, 16:47:06 »

More specifically...

Screw behind ashtray. Remove ashtray housing. Screw behind ashtray/door handle trim. Remove rubber bung in door pull and hidden screw behind. Two screws in front edge of the door, three in bottom edge and two? on back edge. Pull trim clips out with the door card and lift off the window sweep (probably the easiest bit to break).

Loom plugs into the B post. Pull the boot and the plug is accessible through the hole.

Actual task of swapping loom might be easier on a flat surface. Door is easily liberated from the body with the front door open.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 06 December 2023, 17:31:21 »

I've noticed the N/S/R door loom to be a problem (windows, speakers etc) on all 4 Carlton's I had plus other Vauxhalls

Have you ordered the door loom that goes inside the door   ???
surely it's the loom that cones out of the B pillar that's the issue (that plugs into the door ) by the hinge  :-\

that's if it's the same as the front setup

Astra has replacement repair loom sections for this issue , not sure about Omega B
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.