Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I give it up as a bad job?  (Read 1859 times)

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
Should I give it up as a bad job?
« on: 08 June 2009, 16:08:50 »

Starting to get very fed up with my car.

Been off the road for the best part of 2 months now while I fixed the oil cooler (I only have about 2-3 hours a day to work on it and am not an experienced mechanic). Fixed that and now have two fault codes to sort out.

Went out to do some work today and now the top hose has sprung a leak (I know it is no big deal but I seem to get one thing fixed and something else goes).

Its a 98 MV6 manual and still needs 2 new tyres £100, new discs and pads on the front £100 ish, probably new wishbones £50, aircon needs a re gas at least and possibly new condensor £50 - £200, someone has keyed all down one side so needs paint £200, wheels need a refurb £200.

Thats all I can think of right now. Is it worth repairing or should I just get shut and start again?

How much is it worth if I break it?

Really would like to keep it as I love driving it when it works but am throwing good money after bad?  :'( :'(
I'd rather be scared to death than bored to death!!

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
Re: Should I give it up as a bad job?
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2009, 16:14:24 »

Tyres - Brakes - suspension components - are consumables. They will go on any car. You could shell out for something, and have exactly the same problem.

Top hose - few quid, 2 clips, ten min job.

The scratch and wheel refurb at £400 combined cost are cosmetic and luxury items - you don't need this done to keep it on the road, safe, and running well.

The aircon - don't jump to conclusions that you need new components - get it vacc tested, and refilled with some dye, or whatever they do.....

Again, you don't need aircon for a safe and reliable car - if funds are tight, open the window!  ;D

So realistically, you only need a few consumables to keep the car on the road - and then fix the other non important bits at your leisure.......

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2009, 16:59:28 »

Thats what I thought James but I don't want to keep throwing good money after bad.

Its only just done 100k miles so you would hope plenty of miles left in the engine.

Just feeling a bit disheartened I guess.  :-/

HI2DVY

• Intermediate Member
  • Deepest Darkest, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2009, 18:56:29 »

James is right mate. Just a couple of quid spent will have the car back on the road and there are a few guys on here that will come and do the work for you if need be. The suspension parts, tyres etc will wear out on any car so you could end up buying another and still having to replace these items. Leave the cosmetic items until you have the spare cash and focus on getting your car back on the road and enjoying driving it again  :y
some day.....

cem_devecioglu

« Reply #4 on: 08 June 2009, 19:05:37 »

Tyres - Brakes - suspension components - are consumables. They will go on any car. You could shell out for something, and have exactly the same problem.

Top hose - few quid, 2 clips, ten min job.

The scratch and wheel refurb at £400 combined cost are cosmetic and luxury items - you don't need this done to keep it on the road, safe, and running well.

The aircon - don't jump to conclusions that you need new components - get it vacc tested, and refilled with some dye, or whatever they do.....

Again, you don't need aircon for a safe and reliable car - if funds are tight, open the window!  ;D

So realistically, you only need a few consumables to keep the car on the road - and then fix the other non important bits at your leisure.......

cant say better.. :y

any second hand car will need consumables and nobody sell a tiptop condition car except some rare conditions and you need to be very lucky to catch :-/

RobseyMV6

• west sussex
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 June 2009, 19:31:25 »

Don't give up as manual migs are hard to come by now so don't break it, i've just bought one this weekend and thats a small project for me but it's worth it!  :y

AndyVXR300

• Omega Knight
  • Astra VXR it's a way of life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2009, 20:05:10 »

PM me if you want to sell it, im allways buying Omega's  so give me a shout....No pressure :y

Andy
WWW.VXRONLINE.CO.UK

KillerWatt

« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2009, 10:07:11 »

PM me if you want to sell it, im allways buying Omega's  so give me a shout....No pressure :y

Andy
Just out of curiosity, what sort of money would you say our dog transporter was worth in the real world?

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1241860577

Since I bought it, I've done front shocks, wishbones, droplinks, air-con, engine service, and windscreen.

Just before I got it, it had new backbox, discs & pads (rear), pads (front), cambelt kit, dis pack, leads, plus whatever other odds & sods needed doing as & when.

Everything works in it, 104K on the clock, and it is what you see in the pics.

Vmax

• Waterlooville, Hampshire.
  • Missing life on two wheels :(
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2009, 10:28:18 »

Keep it mate. I went through the same sort of problems. Buy another and, as has already been said, you could buy something needing you to start all over again. Mine is now fixed and as long as I don't start adding up all of the receipts :o I'm more than happy with it. Good luck.....  :y
Keep Calm And Carry On.......

ScottieMV6

• Omega Knight
  • Swinton, Manchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2009, 12:09:40 »

Thanks for the support and advice. :y

I am going to fix the hose tomorrow and get it back on the road and hopefully this will change my mind again!  :y

AndyVXR300

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2009, 18:51:08 »

I am going to fix the hose tomorrow and get it back on the road and hopefully this will change my mind again:y

If you dont i'm just a Pm away :y
WWW.VXRONLINE.CO.UK

AndyVXR300

• Omega Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 June 2009, 18:52:33 »

I am going to fix the hose tomorrow and get it back on the road and hopefully this will change my mind again:y

If you dont i'm just a PM away :y
WWW.VXRONLINE.CO.UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 18 queries.